Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS 1st Gen F-body Headers (on the cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS 1st Gen F-body Headers (on the cheap)

I just finished using these headers: http://www.speed-engineering.com/sho...e-version.html on my 1969 firebird 5.3 swap. Yes I know they are intended for a 98-02 fbody, but that rear tube on the drivers side was perfect to clear my mechanical clutch linkage (Muncie swap).

The passenger side fit perfectly, absolutely no trouble here, you can just slide it right in, even after the engine is in.

The driver's side is where the mods come in. My engine is set back 1", to replicate the stock location of the Muncie and re-use the driveshaft. The two rear tubes don't need to be modded, only the front ones. Even a cheap mig welder and some .030 flux core wire will work here. The front two tubes need to be cut at the flange. Cut a section out here so that the tubes can be pushed in closer to the flange and re-welded in order to clear the steering box. After this, they can be installed, but you will most likely have to pull the engine up and feed them in through the bottom. I already had the engine out so I just lowered the engine onto them and bolted them up with the engine 3/4 of the way in.

You will also have to change some of the geometry of the driver's side front tube. It comes down too soon and interferes with the steering linkage. A shallower elbow and transition will fix this.

I know it seems like a lot of work just to save $300 - $400, but if you're patient and have decent mig skills it's a walk in the park. I finished mine in a couple of days, and I had the polarity on my mig backwards (there goes my credibility on this site lol) so imagine how easy it will be for you!

Any questions go ahead and ask. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do all of that when they have a 1st gen set of swap headers for the same price?

http://www.speed-engineering.com/ls-...6-engines.html

Edit: I see they only have 1 7/8" primaries for 1st gens and both 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" for 4th gen. I'm planning to put their 1st gen set in my 69 Firebird but it's got a 6.0.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t_raven
Why do all of that when they have a 1st gen set of swap headers for the same price?

www.speed-engineering.com/ls-conversions-swaps/exhaust/ls-conversions-swap-headers/camaro-longtube-headers-ls-conversion-swap-1967-69-ls1-ls2-ls3-ls6-engines.html

Edit: I see they only have 1 7/8" primaries for 1st gens and both 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" for 4th gen. I'm planning to put their 1st gen set in my 69 Firebird but it's got a 6.0.
Yes, I wanted to go with the 1 3/4 tubes since I only have a mild 5.3, but more importantly, that last rear tube on the driver's side would not allow me to use my mechanical clutch since the engine is in the stock location.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking at their 67-69 LS swap headers, idk if I want to take the risk or not. Have stock steering box with stock subframe.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could have started with some 1st gen BBC header. Cut the flang off and weld on some LSx ones. Tubes should be close to fitting everywhere and you get the bigger primary.
Just an after thought....
Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
You could have started with some 1st gen BBC header. Cut the flang off and weld on some LSx ones. Tubes should be close to fitting everywhere and you get the bigger primary.
Just an after thought....
I thought about this but couldn't fine anything positive on it.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg.H
I just finished using these headers: http://www.speed-engineering.com/sho...e-version.html on my 1969 firebird 5.3 swap. Yes I know they are intended for a 98-02 fbody, but that rear tube on the drivers side was perfect to clear my mechanical clutch linkage (Muncie swap).

The passenger side fit perfectly, absolutely no trouble here, you can just slide it right in, even after the engine is in.

The driver's side is where the mods come in. My engine is set back 1", to replicate the stock location of the Muncie and re-use the driveshaft. The two rear tubes don't need to be modded, only the front ones. Even a cheap mig welder and some .030 flux core wire will work here. The front two tubes need to be cut at the flange. Cut a section out here so that the tubes can be pushed in closer to the flange and re-welded in order to clear the steering box. After this, they can be installed, but you will most likely have to pull the engine up and feed them in through the bottom. I already had the engine out so I just lowered the engine onto them and bolted them up with the engine 3/4 of the way in.

You will also have to change some of the geometry of the driver's side front tube. It comes down too soon and interferes with the steering linkage. A shallower elbow and transition will fix this.

I know it seems like a lot of work just to save $300 - $400, but if you're patient and have decent mig skills it's a walk in the park. I finished mine in a couple of days, and I had the polarity on my mig backwards (there goes my credibility on this site lol) so imagine how easy it will be for you!

Any questions go ahead and ask. Thanks for reading.
Just one question- where are the pics?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tuske427
Just one question- where are the pics?

Passenger side

Driver's side. Not sure if it's visible, but the second tube from the front had to be flattened just a bit.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Do you have a better picture of the mechanical linkage?
I'm working on a similar setup, and still working through setback, etc.
What did you use for the pivot ball for the z-bar?

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rstrittmatter
Do you have a better picture of the mechanical linkage?
I'm working on a similar setup, and still working through setback, etc.
What did you use for the pivot ball for the z-bar?
Sorry, It's a bit tight to get a pic of the linkage. I used the same pivot ball that the linkage was on originally, but with the 621 bellhousing, it was too far back on my car. I made an adapter plate out of 1/4" steel. It moves the pivot ball forward 1.5" and up .375" IIRC. It took some trial and error to get it right, it has trouble even if it's a little bit off.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what needs to be done using a hydraulic clutch and the hooker swap kit minus the headers. I thought no the hooker pushes the engine forward and down a bit. How far is your pass head from the firewall?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

The latest hooker LS swap parts for first gen are different and everything fits nicely. Its not cheap, but you dont have to hack into anything- mounts/headers/oil pan/trans x-member etc. Lowers the engine and provides correct driveline angle for smooth running at highway speeds. For $229 its well worth risking those speedway headers. Most swap headers instructions refer to the required engine plates that work with the header. I did not realize these were so cheap.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camarodude87
I was looking at their 67-69 LS swap headers, idk if I want to take the risk or not. Have stock steering box with stock subframe.
I used these headers in my 1969 firebird with stock subframe and steering box and they fit great , only modification was to steering column neutral switch linkage bracket ( i just removed it since in using a different shifter with neutral switch ) trans-dapt mounts and Holley pan 510-302-2 clears all steering linkage ,
Old 03-10-2016, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You mind posting pictures.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greg.H
Sorry, It's a bit tight to get a pic of the linkage. I used the same pivot ball that the linkage was on originally, but with the 621 bellhousing, it was too far back on my car. I made an adapter plate out of 1/4" steel. It moves the pivot ball forward 1.5" and up .375" IIRC. It took some trial and error to get it right, it has trouble even if it's a little bit off.
Greg how far is your pass head from the firewall?
Imdoing a 1st gen swap using the hooker swap kit minus their headers.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

With the 1" setback plates that keep the transmission in the stock location, my passenger side head has approximately 3/8" - 1/2" from the firewall. I can get a more accurate number for you when I'm home in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: SS 1st Gen F-body Headers (on the cheap)