Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 as donor car

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 as donor car

I just bought a 98 vert for donorcar in an LS swap.

What do i do with the automatic transmission?
Can i simply add a bellhousing and a tailshaft to mate it to the engine for an upcoming swap i intend to do?

Also, what would you strip?
Engine, wiring with ecu and fusebox, acessories, exh manifolds and what else?

Am i correct that i "only" need to bypass VATS to use the ecu in a swap?

And how difficult would it be to reuse the gauges?

It's been some time since i was active. I totalled my ls2 c3 vette and havent messed with LS swaps since
Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 AM
12 Second Club

Default Infamousls1tech?

I'd think this would be the place to ask. Anyone?

Have no one ever used a c5 as donor car ever?
Old 08-19-2016, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Najania
I just bought a 98 vert for donorcar in an LS swap.

What do i do with the automatic transmission?
Can i simply add a bellhousing and a tailshaft to mate it to the engine for an upcoming swap i intend to do?

I kept finding c5 Vette manual transmissions on eBay cheaper than other T56's and a few people have apparently made it work (a lot of Google searching and forum browsing) but it isn't generally cost effective. If you were swapping the motor into a Porsche with a torque tube, maybe. But I haven't tried it. Not sure about the automatics, tho.

Also, what would you strip?
Engine, wiring with ecu and fusebox, acessories, exh manifolds and what else?

I'd strip EVERYTHING I could, and sell a lot of it to make up some of my initial investment. I GUTTED my Silverado donor, and now I have parts like the grille, core support, dash bezel, cluster, etc I can sell.

Am i correct that i "only" need to bypass VATS to use the ecu in a swap?

VATS is really easy to bypass on those. I'll post a diagram when I get home from work. Do you have a DMM?
Hope this gets the conversation going....

Jay
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks. I will look foreward to it. I do have a DMM, and access to an oscilloscope and tech2 if needed.

Anyone know of a tutorial on a 98 c5 wiring harness?

I can find the pin outs but cant find a detailed writeup or tutorial of some sort on how to go about it.

Last edited by Najania; 08-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

About that transmission - where i live 4l60e's are very expensive so if anyone had any info on converting the stock auto tranny to regular behind-the-engine-mount i'd be very grateful. It will be hard for me to sell it as there are virtually no c5 vettes around these parts.. Parts to convert it though can be ordered online..
Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The 1998 used an odd pcm. This site should get you the info you need to modify it.

http://lt1swap.com/98-02_ls1.htm
Old 08-19-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

OK. It was a long day.

Usually I would find the VATS wires at the steering column. Usually two small white wires in a sleeve, then it runs into a plug. On the other side of the plug, the wires are typically white/black and purple/white, but may vary by vehicle. You may need to consult your wiring diagram.

I usually cut one of the wires, and strip the other. On the C5 Corvettes (which use actual VATS, and not one of the later arioations) you can measure your key (little black chip at the base of the metal part of the key, put your DMM on Ohms, and put one terminal on each metal tab (on each side of the key). Find a matching resistor (within +/- 5%).

Attach one leg to the wire you stripped and the other to the BCM side of the wire you cut. This will permanently bypass the VATS. I did something similar on my Silverado wiring for my S-10 project so that I can get it up and running without having to use HP Tuners or similar to turn off VATS in the BCM.

I usually use a relay when I use this to do remote starts, but it's not really necessary. The advantage is that if the resistor breaks, the key still passes resistance. Assuming you aren't using the Corvette steering column, this won't help you.

Hope this helps someone.

Jay
Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your best bet would be to sell the C5 transaxle/torque tube set up to a hot rodder that could use it in a build and buck up for a rwd 4L60E,by the time you source the parts to convert it,end up totally rebuilding the trans while its apart,you will likely be at the same place with a lot more work.BTW,what are you building this time?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JayinMI
OK. It was a long day.

Usually I would find the VATS wires at the steering column. Usually two small white wires in a sleeve, then it runs into a plug. On the other side of the plug, the wires are typically white/black and purple/white, but may vary by vehicle. You may need to consult your wiring diagram.

I usually cut one of the wires, and strip the other. On the C5 Corvettes (which use actual VATS, and not one of the later arioations) you can measure your key (little black chip at the base of the metal part of the key, put your DMM on Ohms, and put one terminal on each metal tab (on each side of the key). Find a matching resistor (within +/- 5%).

Attach one leg to the wire you stripped and the other to the BCM side of the wire you cut. This will permanently bypass the VATS. I did something similar on my Silverado wiring for my S-10 project so that I can get it up and running without having to use HP Tuners or similar to turn off VATS in the BCM.

I usually use a relay when I use this to do remote starts, but it's not really necessary. The advantage is that if the resistor breaks, the key still passes resistance. Assuming you aren't using the Corvette steering column, this won't help you.

Hope this helps someone.

Jay
That's good info right there. Pretty smart trick i must say. Will definitely use this. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Your best bet would be to sell the C5 transaxle/torque tube set up to a hot rodder that could use it in a build and buck up for a rwd 4L60E,by the time you source the parts to convert it,end up totally rebuilding the trans while its apart,you will likely be at the same place with a lot more work.BTW,what are you building this time?
Yes. Thats what people keep telling me and others who have asked the question. There's really not that many c5's around these parts, and few hotrodders skilled enough to dare using a torque tube transaxle setup also.

Thats why im trying to find info on what is needed to convert the transmission. I can do work, and order parts online. But a stock 4l60e costs around 2k dollars in my country so maybe it would be cost beneficial for me to reuse the c5 tranny.

Im not sure yet. Im thinking either a corvette c4, or more likely, a 78-81 Malibu 2door.
Or even a 93-97 fbody.

I'll be looking out for good deals on project cars in my area thats for sure.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you will need to find another transmission,looks like almost everything is different with the exception of a few internal components.Post a question over on the auto trans section of this site,there are a few resident experts that you can give you the straight goods.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tfi racing
I think you will need to find another transmission,looks like almost everything is different with the exception of a few internal components.Post a question over on the auto trans section of this site,there are a few resident experts that you can give you the straight goods.
You're right.. Too much work involved it seems, and not cost prohibitive.
The trans in now for sale and a hotrodder has already approached me to buy it, and other parts from the c5, so i will be able to buy a built 4l60'e if he's serious.

Thx for the advice guys.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Making progress
Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Managed to pull the drivetrain today. And separate the wiring.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did this car have a good abs unit? I need one marked with an M. Please let me know. I need one for my customers 1999.

Quick Reply: C5 as donor car