Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics of the Team Z Motorsport 1/2 inch drop mounts

Old 12-09-2019, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

For those still waiting on the FOX body exhaust systems they're finally available on the Holley site.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for checking in to report that news 79LS1FOX as I forgot to circle back here and do it. I think I'm at about the bandwidth limit of my ability to create and manage these threads.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah you do have a lot of irons in the fire, but they're all good....
Old 12-09-2019, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm glad the information is deemed valuable by some of those it reaches. I'll keep at it as long as I can.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The only compatibility I can speak to in regards to torque arms is the Maximum Motorsports rear suspension set-up since that is on the Calypso Green car you see in this thread that I used for product development. After I released the car to the owner he installed the Maximum Motorsports rear suspension and brought the car back in for me to hang an exhaust on it so he could take it on Power Tour. I was able to install the Hooker muffler/turn-down system you see in this thread, but I had to slightly dent the driver side leg of the X-pipe on its outlet end to clear the tube the front end of the torque arm pivots in. The Hooker full length exhaust will require equal treatment in that area as those components are identical to the muffler/turn-down set-up up to the mufflers. The tailpipes will need some type of customizing as well but I won't know specifically what that is until I bring the car back in sometime over the next two months to finish the system out to the rear of the car for the owner. Whenever it does take place, I'll post my findings here.
Todd, I've been reviewing this long thread since I'm well into this project and I now have in my possession countless dollars worth of Maximum Motorsports as well as Hooker LS engine swap components for my 91 coupe. I've got the MM torque arm setup and I would like to know if you ever found out more information concerning the fitment of the Hooker exhaust systems and the MM TA setup.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dannyual777
Todd, I've been reviewing this long thread since I'm well into this project and I now have in my possession countless dollars worth of Maximum Motorsports as well as Hooker LS engine swap components for my 91 coupe. I've got the MM torque arm setup and I would like to know if you ever found out more information concerning the fitment of the Hooker exhaust systems and the MM TA setup.
The vehicle that I used to develop the Hooker Blackheart system on did get a MM rear torque arm set-up installed onto it and the installation of the Hooker Blackheart full-length 3" exhaust system was a "no-go" unfortunately; one of the X-pipe legs near the X junction experienced interference with the front pivot point of the torque arm and the over-axle tubes would not clear the components of the MM system. I was able to install the Hooker Blackheart muffler/turn-down 3" exhaust system on the car by only having to dent the X-pipe leg that was experiencing the interference with the torque arm. Compatibility with Hooker Blackheart 2.5" exhaust systems is unknown as no fitment testing was done. Hopefully this information is helpful to you.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

It's not the news that I was hoping to hear but it's not a surprise. Thank you for confirming that the 3" full length system will not work with the TA setup.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dannyual777
It's not the news that I was hoping to hear but it's not a surprise. Thank you for confirming that the 3" full length system will not work with the TA setup.
Yeah, I didn't figure it would be for you. The MM torque arm set-up will need an exhaust system that was designed specifically for it and that will involve the use of multiple construction butt welds, which will increase the build cost of the system (more labor and tube waste) compared to one that is designed and built to fit the stock rear suspension only.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I found a photo I took of the Hooker Blackheart 3" muffler/turn-down exhaust system on the development car with the MM torque arm system. You can see where the front torque arm pivot mount gets close to the left side outlet leg of the X-pipe assembly and that is where I needed to dent the tube slightly to provide clearance.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Todd, thank you for posting the underside pictures of the installed exhaust system. It's really helpful to see the MM TA installed along with the exhaust pipes.

I really don't want turn downs because of the droning sound going down the road so I'm going to have to come up with something else.

Years ago after having multiple exhaust systems built by muffler shops with usually low quality results, I started purchasing kits that I could assemble myself. That way I could take all the time necessary to align the pipes and get the clamps just right so the pipes hung evenly and the tailpipes were also even. I've got one of these, pieced together exhaust systems on my "donor" 1991 Mustang GT. It is an X-pipe system that I installed back in the early 2000's and it served me well. It's a 2 1/2" system. Obviously the tailpipes are for a GT and won't work for my coupe. Probably very little to none of it is going to work with my LS/T56 Magnum/MM TA setup.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand where you are coming from. I couldn't drive a muffler/turn-down exhaust system equipped car anymore, but we know there are guys that do and prefer them, which is why we develop and offer those systems along with the full-length systems. Getting the over-axle tubes routed around the geometry of the Maximum Motorsports rear suspension components/brackets will take some custom fabrication and there's really no alternative to that.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Are guys working on a gen 5 swap kit for the fox mustang?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dmracing
Are guys working on a gen 5 swap kit for the fox mustang?
Not at the moment, and there’s nothing on the development schedule to indicate that we would be.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Where does the crank centerline end up being with these components
Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

The nominal stock position of the SB Ford, or 1/2” lower than that with the mounting brackets you are using.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd, can you explain what it is about the 79-83 k-members that would not allow the headers to fit? I have a 1982 originally V8 and I can't think of why the Hooker headers would not fit?
Old 07-12-2020, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Hello Lxcoupe. The headers themselves would fit that K-member if we had a set of engine mounting brackets the would attach to the K-member. The attachment hole pattern on the engine stands of the early K-member is slightly different than the 1984-up K-member and the fastener hole configuration of the Hooker Blackheart stock K-member engine mounting brackets does not match-up will the holes in the early K-member engine stands in a bolt-in manner.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hello Lxcoupe. The headers themselves would fit that K-member if we had a set of engine mounting brackets the would attach to the K-member. The attachment hole pattern on the engine stands of the early K-member is slightly different than the 1984-up K-member and the fastener hole configuration of the Hooker Blackheart stock K-member engine mounting brackets does not match-up will the holes in the early K-member engine stands in a bolt-in manner.
I think I know what you mean. In my 82 4cyl when I converted to a 5.0 SBF, I had to drill a hole either on one side or both for the locating dowel on the 84-93 engine mounts. I'm going to order a set of Hooker engine mounting brackets and see how they sit in my drilled 82 k-member.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

The modification you’ll need to make might be easily executed, I just have no way of knowing as I never personally attempted it before. Feel free to post your findings here for the benefit of others who may read this thread.

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread