Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by thefast1
Sorry if i missed it somewhere, but does the turbo manifolds work with any of the aftermarket k members? I wont be running a/c or ps. Just a wp and alt. Thanks.
Yes, they should be compatible with the AJE, Team Z and Maximum Motorsports K-members as long as the engine is installed using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets or methods described for each K-member. If you use the mounting brackets offered by AJE or Team Z for their K-members, I doubt the turbo manifolds will fit, since they move the engine/transmission assembly closer towards the center line of the chassis and will push the driver side manifold into the steering shaft.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Holley has two for AJE Kmember, one that drops 1/2(71221023HKR) inch and I assume the other does not(71221022HKR). Will the 1/2 one work with the Blackheart Turbo setup?

Thanks for the info,
Mike
Old 09-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Partain
So Holley has two for AJE Kmember, one that drops 1/2(71221023HKR) inch and I assume the other does not(71221022HKR). Will the 1/2 one work with the Blackheart Turbo setup?

Thanks for the info,
Mike
The known Hooker turbo manifold fitment compatibility would only apply to the standard crankshaft height engine mounting brackets as the manifolds were not test fitted with the 1/2” drop mounting brackets. They may fit fine with those brackets also, but I can’t say so from first-hand experience.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'm posting this image of a TH400 install on the Hooker Blackheart 71222016HKR transmission crossmember as an answer for a question that was asked from me by dmracing.
How far do these headers hang below the stock sub frame rails?
Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Banned

I will have to rely on one of the users of the Hooker Blackheart swap system that checks in here to provide a discrete measurement for you as I have no car here from which to take a measurement off of.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 99-04 with turbo manifolds

Ok. Thought i had a 91 fox bought, but it fell through. I found a 2000 v6. Did the mounts for the team z k get shelved or ? I dont see them on the site. Are there any tubular k's then that work with the turbo manifolds? I will be using the 302-3 pan and only acc's will be wp and alt.
thanks.
edit: oops thought i was in the sn95 swap thread.

Last edited by thefast1; 09-09-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 09-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thefast1
Ok. Thought i had a 91 fox bought, but it fell through. I found a 2000 v6. Did the mounts for the team z k get shelved or ? I dont see them on the site. Are there any tubular k's then that work with the turbo manifolds? I will be using the 302-3 pan and only acc's will be wp and alt.
thanks.
Sorry to hear about the Fox Body getting away from you. The engine mounting brackets for the AJE and Team K-members in the 1996-04 applications didn't get shelved, they have just been the last straggling components to clear the entire development process. I will need to send out an email inquiry to our manufacturing facility to see if I can get a status update on them making it through their first production runs and making it up onto the shelf.

I don't foresee any fitment issues with the Hooker passenger side turbo manifold with either of those K-members, but you may encounter interference between the driver side manifold and the steering shaft.

Both AJE and Team Z shift the lateral mounting position of the steering rack away from the centered position used on the stock K-member (one of them moves it towards the passenger side by 3/4" and the other one towards the driver side by about 1/4"...I don't remember which one goes in each direction any longer) and also drop the rack by about an inch from the stock position. The deviation of the steering rack mounting position in both of these directions affects the vector angle of the steering shaft and may result in the stated interference with the steering shaft.

The image I've attached here depicts the clearance between the stock SN95/New Edge steering shaft and the Hooker LS cast iron manifold (the turbo manifold is similar in its geometry) on the stock K-member to give you a reference point as to the clearance in that area with the steering rack mounted in the stock location.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Todd. Will these headers work with the hooker exhaust systems for the fox body

https://www.holley.com/products/engi...parts/12157FLT
Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmracing
Todd. Will these headers work with the hooker exhaust systems for the fox body

https://www.holley.com/products/engi...parts/12157FLT
No they won’t. The fitment and compatibility of those headers is non-specific and in no way connected to our Hooker Blackheart efforts to produce comprehensive swap systems.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 149 Posts

These are the Hooker parts that I've got for my LS3 swap into my '91 coupe:

71221013HKR LS Engine Swap Mounting Brackets
71221018HKR Clamshells and 71221017HKR Poly Inserts
71222016HKR Transmission Crossmember
71223030HKR Poly Trans Mount

Holley 302-3 Oil pan
Maximum Motorsports MMKM-1 K Member
Tremec TUET11009 T56 Magnum
Tremec GM Bellhousing 1386-212-005 for 1998-2002 F Bodies

The engine is in the car and today I got the transmission mounted to the engine. As I raised the rear of the transmission up into the tunnel to get the crossmember in place, the Tremec shifter fit perfectly in the Ford OEM shifter hole but then the bolts around the Tremec shifter hit the transmission tunnel on the passenger side only. At this point, the poly trans mount was bolted to the transmission but I couldn't get the crossmember in place.

According to the transmission crossmember instructions NOTE: Some hammer clearancing to the trans tunnel should be expected in the following areas: T56/T56 Magnum(LS/Coyote)-around and just forward of the shifter area.

With the transmission as high as I can get it, I still can't get the crossmember in place and according to the install instructions I'm supposed to use both supplied spacers ( 3/16" and 5/16") between the transmission crossmember and the polyurethane mount. In other words even if I could get the crossmember in place, I still need to go up at least another 1/2" (3/16"+5/16"=1/2".)

Does this sound right that I'd need to do at least a 1/2" of hammer clearance work on the passenger side of my shifter hole? It is the two bolts forward of the shifter hole on the passenger side that are the real problem but they can't be seen in this included picture.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

WAIT A SECOND!!!! My coupe is a former 4 cyl automatic car. I just watched a youtube video that said that Fox automatic to standard swaps need a "raised transmission tunnel hump!" The 5.0 Resto trans tunnel hump appeared to be maybe 1" taller. That would make all the difference in the world!
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-22-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dannyual777
WAIT A SECOND!!!! My coupe is a former 4 cyl automatic car. I just watched a youtube video that said that Fox automatic to standard swaps need a "raised transmission tunnel hump!" The 5.0 Resto trans tunnel hump appeared to be maybe 1" taller. That would make all the difference in the world!
You are on the right track. Installing the manual transmission hump, as Ford did for manual transmission applications, will enable you to trim away the underlying sheet metal to give you the extra clearance you need for your T56 shifter housing.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you, Todd. The project is coming along and as I move forward, I discover new hurdles that I didn't even know existed. I was pretty stressed out yesterday wondering if something was wrong with my Hooker swap parts or if I'd purchased the wrong brackets since my transmission didn't appear to be close to "hammer clearancing!" Then I found the youtube video from 5.0 Resto and my stress was eliminated.

I still have my 1991 Mustang GT 5-sp "donor car" in my garage. I've owned it since new but I pulled it off the road almost 5 yrs ago due to rust damage from living by the beach in Florida. The OEM black interior is gutted as most of it going into my coupe. Once I was aware that the manual trans cars had a different tunnel, I looked closely at my GT's trans tunnel and it was easy to tell that the 5-sp tunnel is taller than the automatic tunnel of my '91 coupe.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI. If you are looking at any Holley parts for a swap and need them quickly make sure they are in stock. I have had a couple of parts I ordered over a month ago (actually 2 months ago) and the "estimated" ship date keeps changing to a later date. The 302-2 oil pan I ended up cancelling and ordered it from somewhere else that had it in stock as it was holding up my progress. I also have an exhaust on order that was supposed to be in stock end of October and here it is the end of November? I understand everyone is having issues due to Covid but a month past is a bit much. Be honest and say we do not know when it will be in stock. I ordered this on September 30th "Holley BH13200
OUT OF STOCK UNTIL END OF OCT"
Old 11-24-2020, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Thealien;20306621]Just an FYI. If you are looking at any Holley parts for a swap and need them quickly make sure they are in stock. I have had a couple of parts I ordered over a month ago (actually 2 months ago) and the "estimated" ship date keeps changing to a later date. The 302-2 oil pan I ended up cancelling and ordered it from somewhere else that had it in stock as it was holding up my progress. I also have an exhaust on order that was supposed to be in stock end of October and here it is the end of November? I understand everyone is having issues due to Covid but a month past is a bit much. Be honest and say we do not know when it will be in stock. I ordered this on September 30th "Holley BH13200
OUT OF STOCK UNTIL END OF OCT"[/QUOTE

you need oil pan 302-3]
Old 11-25-2020, 05:33 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=dmracing;20306834]
Originally Posted by Thealien
Just an FYI. If you are looking at any Holley parts for a swap and need them quickly make sure they are in stock. I have had a couple of parts I ordered over a month ago (actually 2 months ago) and the "estimated" ship date keeps changing to a later date. The 302-2 oil pan I ended up cancelling and ordered it from somewhere else that had it in stock as it was holding up my progress. I also have an exhaust on order that was supposed to be in stock end of October and here it is the end of November? I understand everyone is having issues due to Covid but a month past is a bit much. Be honest and say we do not know when it will be in stock. I ordered this on September 30th "Holley BH13200
OUT OF STOCK UNTIL END OF OCT"[/QUOTE

you need oil pan 302-3]
I disagree but what does that have to do with 2 month delays in shipping (actually longer as it hasn't shipped)?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:41 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Thealien;20306912]
Originally Posted by dmracing

I disagree but what does that have to do with 2 month delays in shipping (actually longer as it hasn't shipped)?
I think dmracing is assuming you are speaking in reference to a Fox Body Mustang LS swap, in which case his recommendation would be a good one. I agree with your assessment that Holley’s shipping times are sometimes excessive, but I wouldn’t know what the cause or fix to those issues would be as my days are spent solely on engineering and designing new swap products.

Last edited by user 4737373; 11-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:26 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Toddoky;20306914]
Originally Posted by Thealien
I think dmracing is assuming you are speaking in reference to a Fox Body Mustang LS swap, in which case his recommendation would be a good one. I agree with your assessment that Holley’s shipping times are sometimes excessive, but I wouldn’t know what the cause or fix to those issues would be as My days are spent solely on engineering and designing new swap products.
You are correct. I was making a general statement covering Holley parts not the fox body mustang.

And don't get me wrong. I was just giving members a heads up. I had a little cushion on when I needed the parts and knew there was a delayed shipping date and received an "estimated" ship date of about a month. It is going on 2 months now and is costing me time and money on my project.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Banned

I understand the annoyance completely as the same thing has happened to me during the Covid period with other products I have ordered. Some of the items have taken so long that it has caused me to just cancel the order and just do without it and in other cases I begrudgingly order a substitute that is not on par with the originally ordered item. I can't imagine that it's a simple thing to fix in today's economy, but I can honestly say I'm glad I don't work in the side of the business that is tasked with figuring it out. That has to be frustrating work to do.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

rtagg....Any pictures showing how low the headers are under the car?

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread