Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I think that would be a wise choice and money well spent.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I think that would be a wise choice and money well spent.
thank you again for all your help and fast responses!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Buryingthesun
I will probably switch to the MM subframe soon, I think that's the only way this will be convenient to work on haha
My '91 coupe has all Maximum Motorsports suspension parts including the MMKM-1 K member. I recently installed my Hooker SS headers and it was probably the easiest thing I've done on this project. I left my passenger side header loose since I didn't have a starterat the time. My Powermaster 9190 starter arrived a couple of days ago so I can install it and tighten up the passenger side header.

If you haven't already, please check out my Foxbody build thread here: Project Hole in the Head
Old 05-23-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there's a pic a few posts up of the cast iron manifolds in the car with the stock K member showing the steering arm clearance... any chance in the countless (and I'm sure quite annoying at this point) times you've had the engine in and out with the myriad of combinations you tested that one of them was the MM member, cast iron manifolds and 1/2" lower mounts?

Amazing thread, really nice to just how far modern technology has helped with the prototyping side of things when you think about the 'how to' articles from the 50's with mounts and crossmembers just Frankensteined together from the local blacksmith as if that were any type of actual help. Of course a metric boatload of talent helps, and it really shows.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Not that specific combination of parts, but I don't foresee the Hooker cast iron manifolds presenting you with fitment issues with the MM K-member. However, the 1/2" drop engine mounting brackets we offer are only available for the AJE and Team Z K-members as they are the only two that will permit that mounting height.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Perfect. Thank you for all the work you and your team have put in on this.
frojoe (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Both dannyual777 and Buryingthesun showed really helpful closeup pics of the the placement of a T56 Magnum (or I guessed it's just called a 'Magnum' now) within the factory manual transmission tunnel hump/bump.... but does anyone have any pics of a T56 F-body, or the latest actual Tremec Magnum-F, within the trans tunnel bump hole?

Any word on how much hammering is needed to the underlying tunnel to clear the back edge of the Magnum-F/F-body shifter base, and if the shifter stub still fits within the factory shift boot hole in the console, or will the console need to be ditched?

Thanks!
Joe
Old 07-23-2021, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

frojoe, I know you're specifically asking about the Magnum F but I thought that I'd at least add some info concerning what I had to do with my regular, T56 Magnum. There were a couple of aluminum bosses sticking out of the passenger side of the transmission case that I had to cut off with a hack saw.

When I raised the transmission up, the protruding bosses were hitting the transmission tunnel. I could tell that it was going to require way too much hammer clearancing and it was very easy to use a hacksaw to cut through the soft aluminum. It wasn't a lot of work and the transmission was able to be raised all the way up into the proper position.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I know its a long shot, but does anyone here have a set of these headers from this kit that they would be willing to part with? I Purchased the entire swap kit and holley discontinued the headers which has put me in a tough spot.

Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 02-10-2023, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually have a set BNIB. Was saving them for my Capri but I sold the car. I also have the crossmember and motor mounts but sounds like you have that stuff already.
Project GatTagO (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
I actually have a set BNIB. Was saving them for my Capri but I sold the car. I also have the crossmember and motor mounts but sounds like you have that stuff already.
No way!! I thought this was a lost cause. If you're not yanking my chain you would be a life saver. I'll send you a PM!
Project GatTagO (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Aaron, you got super lucky! When I read your post, I thought that surely Holley was still selling the Foxbody LS swap headers. Nope. I couldn't find them on their website.

My next project car is an 1980 Z28 that I've owned since new. I've got a crate LS7 for it. Like my Foxbody coupe, I'm planning on using Holley/Hooker swap components for the Z28. I guess I'd better purchase them now before they become unobtanium.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Too late ! The 2296-7HKR 1 7/8" full length SS headers for my 1980 Z28 are not available: HOOKER SUPER COMPETITION LONG TUBE HEADER - STAINLESS

The ill fitting earlier model (70-74) headers are available. Bummer.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the benefits of using the Hooker Blackheart swap system mounting components is that they retain the stock SB Ford offset in the chassis, which allows other components, like the Hooker turbo manifolds to fit like is depicted in the attached images.

The AJE and Team Z K-members and their respective engine mounting brackets are designed around proprietary mounting geometry used by each company that moves the engine closer towards the center of the car and shifts the lateral mounting of the steering rack off the stock centered position also. One of the K-members moves the rack mount position towards the passenger side of the car and the other one moves it towards the driver's side of the car (I don't remember which one goes in which direction). This is presumably done to offer the user more header clearance from information I've come across previously.

Hooker Blackheart does offer engine mounting brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members that locates the engine in the stock offset position prescribed by the Hooker Blackheart system, but that would require you to also use one of the Hooker Blackheart transmission crossmembers to keep the engine and transmission in proper alignment. Short of that, you could possible make a custom steering shaft that has two u-joints in it and a support brace with a spherical bearing in it to support it.

I used the Blackheart kit on my 79 LS swapped Turbo Capri using the Team Z k member and the Blackheart mounts and trans crossmember. I'm now LS swappig an 03 V6 Mustang using the Team Z 94-04 Kmember. Are the Blackheart Team Z mounts compatible with the 94-04 Team Z k member and will the Blackhearts T-56 crossmember work in a new edge car?
Old 03-07-2023, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Double00gt, I did develop specific engine mounting brackets for use with the Team Z K-member in the 96-04 applications, but they never made it through the launch process due to supplier issues. I did see pre-production samples at the end of last year, but I have no idea if they will ever get released. There was a slight difference in the engine height placement compared to the Fox Body set, but I can’t verify what it was as I no longer have access to my development file information since I don’t work for Holley anymore. The 94-04 T56 transmission crossmember is different than the Fox Body T56 crossmember due to to the different under-car geometries of the two platforms.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Sorry to hear you left Holley.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Jimbo1367, it was a good 12-year run for me.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

If anyone has headers and isn’t going to use them. Let me know.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Development update- 5/27/17. I have updated this post to reflect the final outcome of the development phase of this swap application to ensure the provided information is relevant to the production parts that will be offered by Hooker/Holley.

Components have been developed that will allow an LS swap into a Fox Body using the stock Fox Body, or specific Maximum Motorsports, AJE or Team Z Motorsports K-members. Use of the AJE or Team Z Motorsports K-members will provide those most flexibility in oil pan choice; the stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members will require the use of the new Holley 302-3 oil pan that is coming soon. Optional 1/2"-drop engine brackets (AJE and Team Z K-members), or 1/2" K-member spacers (stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members) can be used to obtain increased under-hood component and transmission clearance, while still maintaining compatibility with the Hooker transmission crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems for this application

The installed engine geometry that will be provided from the engine brackets and transmission crossmember/adapters in the system will replicate the stock 302/5.0 engine crankshaft centerline height and inclination angle, or drop it 1/2" with the use of the available optional engine brackets previously mentioned. The engine/transmission mounting plane will lie 1/2" further back towards the rear of the car than the stock 302 mating plane, which puts the passenger side cylinder head 3/4" from the firewall.

Some of you who have carried out this swap previously may have gotten to this point before and found it impossible to get the engine low enough to achieve these same geometric results, which I can understand since the power steering rack height and available oil pan geometries conspire against obtaining these installed characteristics.

The new Holley 302-3 pan must be used to provide the installation clearance needed when using the stock or Maximum Motorsports
K-members; the AJE and Team Z K-members can use any Holley or Weiand brand LS oil pan. The frame side engine mounting brackets for the stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members will be configured to use 4th-gen F-body engine mounts, which are readily available in the aftermarket in polyurethane and solid forms. The engine brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members will each be designed to provide to connect to the triangulated engine stand mounts on these K-members and provided the same engine position (height and offset)as the stock K-member brackets do.

Two distinct crossmembers and a couple of adapters have been developed to provide installation of a Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70, 4L80/4L85, TKO or T56/T56 Magnum transmission.

any idea if the Team Z 1/2" drop mounts will work on a New Edge Car? I bought the 94-04 Hooker Team Z mounts and the engine sits too high to stab the T56 in from inder the car
Old 08-27-2023, 06:33 PM
Teching In

The crankshaft centerline height/inclination angle replicates that of the stock 302/5.0L engine, which took a revision to the Holley 302-2 oil pan to make possible. I will report about hood clearance with various accessory drive set-ups later in the project once I test fit them.
I have scrolled most of this thread and it is amazing, thanks for all your hard work on these products. Can you provide a dimensioned drawing showing the crank centerline? I am using this system on my 78 Fairmont and want to know if my TBSS intake is going to fit or not. I saw that the truck intake fits under the stock mustang hood, but Fairmont.

One other note, I am using a factory V8/4cyl k member and ordered the mounts, which did not come with the pressed in wheel studs (I used Dorman 610-328.1 thanks to another post of yours) and the bolt holes for the long M14 bolt were too small. Can you pass that info along?

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread