Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picked up an unfinished LS3 swap project 97z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up an unfinished LS3 swap project 97z28

So to make a very long story as short as possible.

I picked up a 1997 z28 that has a 2014 LS3 swapped into it. Car is a T56 manual,

I was told he swapped in a 1999 camaro SS engine and body harness, removing the dash and entire interior to do so.

So fast forward to now.

I have the car and installed a ls1 battery harness into it (old one was Butchard) get all my wires where they need to go. Simple easy swap.

So I hook my. Battery up for the first time to check all the electronics inside the car to make sure they work properl . Well everything seems fine but the gauge cluster, it lights up extremely dim, no turn signal functions (when the left blinker is turned on the seatbelt light lights up solid) if you turn the brights OFF the gauges go out like I turned the key off but everything else stays working.

I am still using the 97 cluster, could that be the issue?

I haven't tried cranking the engine over because there is no starter in it. I also do not hear the fuel pump kick on either when I turn the key, but the relay for it does click.

Any ideas what I should do?

Car only has 85k original miles on it and is RUST FREE! So if i can salvage this project without thousands of dollars into it I'd like to.

Really need some insight here, so bummed about this.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Bump, no one?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he removed the dash and put it back, have you had it out to see what he done. May have done some wonky stuff there. Sounds like your gonna have to search wire by wire. I personally have never had any luck trying to finish someone else's project. Seems like you always have to change or start over.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Havent pulled the dash out yet at all, seems I'm going to have to probably buy another interior harness and start all over. I can tell the engine harness is LS but the dash is a mystery,

Want to try and pickup a cluster cause like I said everything else seems to work fine. I doubt it would even crank over though.

Has anyone here done an Ls swap and swapped the entire engine and body harness?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Before you go ripping it all apart I'd figure out where the grounds are on all the harnesses. Make sure they are clean and secure. Not on a Camaro, but seen bad grounds do some pretty weird stuff on a bunch of different cars.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 PM

I'll check into it, anyone have a diagram of ground locations?

Also looks like a trans am interior harness was used, would that clash and cause some issues? How I know its a trans am harness is its got the plug in for the foglights from a trans am.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Kind of sounds like you have someone's mess on your hands. Are you sure it has a '99 Camaro engine harness with a 2014 LS3 engine? Because that aint gonna work..... I would be wondering what other surprises lie ahead.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 PM

The engine harness looks like its going to work fine, I'm thinking there's something going on with the interior harness not matching up correctly with the 1997 cluster,

Im going to try and dig into that and see if I can at least double check it.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Launching!

If you were to take the ecu and engine harness out of a stock Fbody. The brake lights, head lights, interior lights, turn signals....would still work. They have no bearing on the engine harness and ECU. First thing I would do is check grounds. There are 2 large grounds on the bottom corner of each side of the dash. They are secured by the same large nut (I forgot what size) the secures the dash on the drivers and passenger bottom corner (near the kick panels). People sometimes forget to hook these back up when they remove the dash.

Quick Reply: picked up an unfinished LS3 swap project 97z28