Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec 5.7 in Mercedes W140

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 5.7 in Mercedes W140

I have a Mercedes W140 with a non-working motor and a Chevy Suburban 5.7 1998 with a powertrain in quite workable condition. Did anyone swap like this (GM V8 in Mercedes W140) in the forum? Is it true, what the engine is getting into its native mounts without redoing the steering system? What exactly should the oil pan be used for, does the standard of the GTO fit? Is it necessary to weld a drive shaft or are there ready variants?
In the search found Mercedes 400S with LS6, but in the text did not find unambiguous answers to their questions.
Thank you all.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

1998 5.7 is not an ls motor. It's actually just a standard small block chevy motor with newer style heads on it. The ls version vortec did not come out in the trucks until 1999 so the GTO ls oil pans will not fit your motor.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that part of the difficulty you will encounter is that many people on this board are not familiar with what a "W140" Mercedes is. (I don't recognize it anyway.) If you were to post a picture or three, it may help people to relate it to something they're familiar with. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
1998 5.7 is not an ls motor. It's actually just a standard small block chevy motor with newer style heads on it. The ls version vortec did not come out in the trucks until 1999 so the GTO ls oil pans will not fit your motor.
Thank You for information. Does that mean I can use oil pen from old car models like Chevrolet Corvette with SBC (LT1)?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
I think that part of the difficulty you will encounter is that many people on this board are not familiar with what a "W140" Mercedes is. (I don't recognize it anyway.) If you were to post a picture or three, it may help people to relate it to something they're familiar with. Good luck.
Sorry about this. It is Mercedes S-classes (it is biggest Mercedes-sedan) 1991-2000 years. Mine is 350SD with 6-cylinder inline diesel.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Benz of that era (most eras) have a big recirculating ball steering box and related more complex/cumbersome steering linkage. This does indeed seem to cause a number of challenges with swaps. Many fabricate a switch to rack and pinion steering. This guy added a whole new front clip/suspension with rack to create the room on the bottom. Slightly different era -- but similar problems.

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/featu...ed-benz-vette/
Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Benz of that era (most eras) have a big recirculating ball steering box and related more complex/cumbersome steering linkage. This does indeed seem to cause a number of challenges with swaps. Many fabricate a switch to rack and pinion steering. This guy added a whole new front clip/suspension with rack to create the room on the bottom. Slightly different era -- but similar problems.

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/featu...ed-benz-vette/
Thank You. I know about this problem with old SL, but W140 has a lot more space under hood compare to it. I hope, what somebody did this swap without tons of welding-cutting work ))
Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Understand -- and as I mentioned, I realize the body style is not the same. But I've seen articles on a variety of Benz models - the steering box/linkage interference always seems to be an issue with V8 swaps. Not sure the additional room under the hood is going to remedy the challenge low in the engine bay. In any event -- not a lot of these out there. You're likely going to have to just dive in and then solve the problems as you come to them.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:48 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The 98 5.7L is a generation I small block Chevrolet one-piece rear main seal. LS6 is generation III and very different. There are 5 or 7 quart front sump oil pans to clear the steering linkage. Engine mounts are not complex for the swap.