Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The GMW - E36 with a 5.3 and a CD009

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

We had a nice day here yesterday so I decided to take the BMW out for a spin. The weather is starting to fall apart so I think I will put her up on the stands and fix the last few nagging issues before the track season starts. All the vitals on the car look great while driving, and she pulls hard!

Last edited by TNspeed1; 01-07-2023 at 07:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TNspeed1:
AAIIIC (01-09-2023), Michael Yount (01-07-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNspeed1
oh also the brakes are vented and larger on the M3 rear end. I have already converted the front to M3 knuckles, arms and brakes so this will change everything over to M3 suspension.
hey! I’m currently trying to figure out what driveshaft, shifter relocation kit I need and wanted to know if you had to relocate the abs?
Old 02-12-2023, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by richiehoyt
hey! I’m currently trying to figure out what driveshaft, shifter relocation kit I need and wanted to know if you had to relocate the abs?
I use a Chase Bays brake booster eliminator kit and deleted the ABS. So far the brakes have felt great but I have yet to track test them. Looking to get the car on the track shortly.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I use a Chase Bays brake booster eliminator kit and deleted the ABS. So far the brakes have felt great but I have yet to track test them. Looking to get the car on the track shortly.
since you’re not running abs do your brakes ever lock up? Or do they feel fine?
Old 02-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Launching!

I can only speak to street driving, but I have never had the brakes lock up even under heavy breaking.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-12-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I can only speak to street driving, but I have never had the brakes lock up even under heavy breaking.
I’m mostly going to be street driving it. And another question. I’m going with a Holley terminator x kit. How did you hook up your cd09?
Old 02-14-2023, 07:01 AM
Launching!

The only thing you have to wire on the CD009 is the reverse switch for your reverse lights. Your tack signal will be provided from the Holley harness. Outside of that there shouldn’t be any other associated wiring
Old 02-14-2023, 07:49 AM
Teching In

The only thing you have to wire on the CD009 is the reverse switch for your reverse lights. Your tack signal will be provided from the Holley harness. Outside of that there shouldn’t be any other associated wiring
I appreciate your feedback! I love how your car came out tho, looks awesome. Did you buy the full chase bays kit for 600 or just the piston brake and buy separate lines for the brakes
Old 02-14-2023, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the kind words. I lucked out a few years ago when Chase Bays had a scratch and dent sale. I was able to pick up the full kit for $300. I would recommend the full kit because it comes with everything you need and you don’t have to fight making line Ls and finding fittings.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Quick update. I am currently trying to get the car ready for the first SCCA test and tune on March 5th.

One of the main things I have been working on is getting my trailer ready. Due to the low clearance of the car I had to add about a 3' dovetail on to my trailer for easier loading. I also added a winch as well.

Regarding the car I have been chipping away at a handful of small items.

First was the exhaust. The last version of my Y pipe was way to low and self clearanced pretty quick, also some of the V bands didn't mate well leading to exhaust leaks. The new Y pipe mounts to the transmission mounts and tucks up much higher. Also all the V bands seal as they should.

Here is quick exhaust clip

Next I have been wanting to redo my coolant overflow tank. I am currently running a small Amazon overflow tank and I have battled with the little push lock fittings leaking and not sealing well. Because of this I decided to make my own that would tuck in front of the drives side wheel well. This is what I came up with.

I need to finish welding on the mounting tabs and then I can plumb everything in and fill the tank.

Lastly I got some break duct air vents that I need to get installed. After that I plan to do a nut and bolt check and put the car back down on the ground.

Things seem to be on track for the start of the Autocross and track season.

Last edited by TNspeed1; 02-20-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

Coming along nicely. I can tell you, being able to quickly/easily load/unload the trailer is a huge deal. For several years, I had to remove my front air dam before loading. As you might guess, at some point I forgot that and tried to roll the car onto the trailer right after the end of a race. That experience caused me to rethink my front air dam design and my ramps.

And, of course, just be prepared. I used PCA track events to work the bugs out of mine before my first SCCA event. There will be weak points you find -- seals, gaskets, leaks, bearings, bushings, etc. And thermal performance will also become more clear - for better and for worse.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Great advice! I am lucky the local SCCA holds preseason test and tunes which I hope helps to work out the kinks! I know there will be plenty hiding in this car haha.
Michael Yount (02-20-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Made a little more progress over the last few days, and next Sundays test and tune is approaching fast.

The overflow is complete, painted and plumbed in.

Also made a battery hold down for the trunk.

I need to do a nut and bolt check and finish the ramps on my trailer and I should be looking pretty good for next weekend.
LSswap (02-25-2023), Michael Yount (02-24-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I took the BMW to its first autocross this weekend. I was super nervous that my trailer would fail, and all four wheels would come off the car. I am happy to say that neither happened and both performed flawlessly! Below are a few pictures and a video from one run. The car definitely needs more grip and a better driver haha. I plan to participate in all the local auto crosses and track days I can this year, and get as much seat time as possible.

The following 3 users liked this post by TNspeed1:
LSswap (03-06-2023), Michael Yount (03-06-2023), wretched73 (03-07-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Well the first point event autocross was this weekend. The car did amazing, but I did not.

We only made 5 runs and unfortunately I DNF'd my first two laps along with my last. I should have taken more time on my first run to make sure I had the layout down, but I went to quick and missed a couple gates. That meant I had to figure out what I missed on the second run which I did, but only after missing the same gate. Run 3 was clean but slow. Run 4 I picked up 6 seconds. On my 5th run I was on track to shave another 4 seconds off my previous time putting me in line with the other guy in my class, however I got two aggressive in the final portion and spun. The car definitively needs more grip.

Here is a video from my best run of the day.

Here is the car tucked away after a good day of abuse.

Next is another Autocross on May 7th, and Track Night in America event on May 3rd.
AAIIIC (04-03-2023), nleming (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Default Cd009 shifter

Quick update.

I have been working on wiring lately, and to be honest I would rather slam my hand in a locked car door then work on wiring. I have the ecu mounted, the engine harness pulled in, and everything in its general location.

I have been able to get the car to turn over, but for some reason I am not getting fuel to the rails. I plan to take some time tomorrow, and track the issue down with the fuel system.

I also got the Collins Adapters shifter mounted, and it is a super nice piece.

I also built a tear down table for my rear end. I have enough back problems as it is, and didn't want to have to work on the ground anymore. Once I can get the engine to fire in the car I will then turn my attention to breaking the rear end down and redoing the entire thing.

Thanks for following along.
hey man just wanted to ask if you’d be able to send a link to that collins shifter ? Much appreciated man
Old 04-04-2023, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

"The car did amazing, but I did not." Have you been to a professional driving school? If not, I'd encourage you to do so. And I'd also suggest not putting ultra sticky rubber on the car until you've driven it this way for a while. Sticky rubber camouflages driver error and a lack of technical skill. Let the sub-optimal rubber be your teacher. I learned stuff at driving schools (I've been to 4) that it would've taken me 10 years to learn on my own on the track.
G Atsma (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by richiehoyt
hey man just wanted to ask if you’d be able to send a link to that collins shifter ? Much appreciated man
Here you go https://collinsadapters.com/adaptati...t-shifter.html
Old 04-04-2023, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
"The car did amazing, but I did not." Have you been to a professional driving school? If not, I'd encourage you to do so. And I'd also suggest not putting ultra sticky rubber on the car until you've driven it this way for a while. Sticky rubber camouflages driver error and a lack of technical skill. Let the sub-optimal rubber be your teacher. I learned stuff at driving schools (I've been to 4) that it would've taken me 10 years to learn on my own on the track.
I have not had the chance to do a driving school yet but it’s on my list! There are a couple coming up that I might jump on.
Michael Yount (04-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I did my first "Track Day" yesterday with Track Night in America. The event was extremely well organized and a great opportunity to get the car on the track at speed.

The car performed great but I did find that I need to roll the front fenders and raise the suspension some. This became apparent after I shredded my passenger front tire in the last session (picture below).

I also need to make some adjustment to my exhaust. Currently it is pointing to far up and heating the bumper.

Here is a quick video of me being chased by a F80 M3. The second lap is where I shred my front tire going into the first hair pin.

G Atsma (05-04-2023)

Quick Reply: The GMW - E36 with a 5.3 and a CD009