Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a-low
Some I'm shopping around for a x max who has the best price?
summit and jegs have $100 off $1000 right now
The following users liked this post:
LSX Power Tuning (08-26-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by a-low
Some I'm shopping around for a x max who has the best price?
Holley has a fixed price so everyone is required to sell at that price. That doesn't mean you can't find a better price somewhere. I use Tick Performance's "Team Tick Program" You'll probably have to call them to see what they offer.
I also use summit racing when I come across the 10% off coupons or one of their specials.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlt1
I know the terminator x does anti lag but does it bump in like a bump box
Yes, you can configure staging control. You'll need a Holley SSR and wire it appropriately.

Andrew
Old 08-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone installed the Terminator Max system for LS1/4L60E, 4L80E combination and are driving the vehicle without problems?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (09-01-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I want to give a friendly reminder t folks, given my recent experience.

A friend reached out to me looking for help with one of his friend's tunes. Engine is 370ci, healthy cam, flowed injectors, DBW. As far as he could tell it wasn't slapped together with gum and duct tape.

The issue was it wouldn't idle for ****. I looked at his tune...some logs...no smoking gun anywhere, except for odd IAC behavior and a high RPM flare at start-up. Given the symptoms, I immediately think vacuum leak. Sure enough, he had his valve cover vent hooked to the large port in the rear where vacuum brakes would go.

Lesson: before blaming the tune or the ECU or whatever, make sure everything is correct with respect to the hardware. Double check for vacuum leaks...and also exhaust leaks. Both of those things will wreck havoc with the tune and have you chasing your *** in circles.

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
Long Beach GTO (08-27-2019), Zanie (09-25-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I want to give a friendly reminder t folks, given my recent experience.

A friend reached out to me looking for help with one of his friend's tunes. Engine is 370ci, healthy cam, flowed injectors, DBW. As far as he could tell it wasn't slapped together with gum and duct tape.

The issue was it wouldn't idle for ****. I looked at his tune...some logs...no smoking gun anywhere, except for odd IAC behavior and a high RPM flare at start-up. Given the symptoms, I immediately think vacuum leak. Sure enough, he had his valve cover vent hooked to the large port in the rear where vacuum brakes would go.

Lesson: before blaming the tune or the ECU or whatever, make sure everything is correct with respect to the hardware. Double check for vacuum leaks...and also exhaust leaks. Both of those things will wreck havoc with the tune and have you chasing your *** in circles.

Andrew
Excellent advice... thank you
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm88ta
summit and jegs have $100 off $1000 right now
Price isn’t everything, service after the sale is important for an efi system IMO. We can usually match any deal or make a package deal with tuning. Most companies including Holley have map pricing so you should see it advertised for the same price everywhere.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Price isn’t everything, service after the sale is important for an efi system IMO. We can usually match any deal or make a package deal with tuning. Most companies including Holley have map pricing so you should see it advertised for the same price everywhere.
What's wrong with summit's customer service? Holley has great customer service too, I've called before with questions . Price isn't everything but there's nothing wrong with saving money either.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Summit has great customer service, there is nothing wrong buying from them. We have a commercial account with them even. But does summit do installs or tuning, can they help with a base tune or wiring advice from doing installs or are they just reading from a tech card? We offer the same price and like to think we have more offer for tech support and customer service on Holley products over just a distributor. We are a distributor but also holley certified. That’s just something to consider.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

^ just buy it from Lorenz. because while it is user friendly you will run into some simple problems that are just not widely covered. I've been messing with efi systems for a decade and I've had to unlearn some stuff basically, the holley takes a much more direct approach.

also +1 on the 4 port boost control strategy demonstrated by mister Mott Hoople I set mine up *exactly" like his---same proportional, integral and derivative control figure--- and targeted to leave on spring and ramp to 15psi and it worked like MAGIC I am super impressed.

also adding a FF sensor is highly recommended ! well worth burning an input for that!

and whoever asked about 60E/80e control yes it works very good. You will want to order a 0-300 psi 0-5v pressure sensor and build an input to finely tune your line pressure since the holley only displays the commanded % of duty cycle (as that's all it can read with the stock sensors)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm interested in this kit but I'm not sure which part number to get. I'm running an engine based of an ls2 out of an 06 gto. It is a gen 4 motor but has it has a 24x crank sensor.

edit, nevermind I found the answer to my own question. Looks like I need the 58x box and all I need to do is change out the crank sensor connector.

Last edited by lawrenq; 09-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lawrenq
I'm interested in this kit but I'm not sure which part number to get. I'm running an engine based of an ls2 out of an 06 gto. It is a gen 4 motor but has it has a 24x crank sensor.

edit, nevermind I found the answer to my own question. Looks like I need the 58x box and all I need to do is change out the crank sensor connector.
Or break off the alignment tab in the 24 tooth crank sensor so that the plug fits.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Who here is having good results with the TermX on a 4l60E trans ? The programming straightforward ?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lawrenq

You may already know this but I'm pretty sure the actual ecu is the same no matter if you use it for 58x or 24x sensor The ecu will run either or a custom configuration if needed. I believe the only difference is in the harness itself. Just pick the harness that matches your combination the closest so you'll keep changes to a minimum.
I want to try one just to see how much different it is compared to the Dominators and HP's that I have.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gjestico
Who here is having good results with the TermX on a 4l60E trans ? The programming straightforward ?
From a software stand point, The Terminator X software control for the trans looks identical to the Dominator and HP software with one exception, The X software does not have an advanced tab in the software for Torque Management.
I haven't used the Terminator X/Max yet but have setup a Dominator ecu to control a 4l80e and it's pretty straight forward and easy to do. It will likely come preconfigured in the software and will not need setup other than gear and tire size unless you want to make changes to the base setup, The base setup worked great with only minor changes needed.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You may already know this but I'm pretty sure the actual ecu is the same no matter if you use it for 58x or 24x sensor The ecu will run either or a custom configuration if needed. I believe the only difference is in the harness itself. Just pick the harness that matches your combination the closest so you'll keep changes to a minimum.
Yeah, the only ECU difference between any of the kits is whether they come with the Terminator X or X Max ECU. The harnesses all interchange, and are all the same stuff that Holley sells for use with their HP and Dominator ECUs.

The way Holley does things, the following harnesses are all separate:
1. Main engine harness (plugs into ECU)--includes provisions for cam and crank sensor, coils, MAP, coolant, knock, and IAT sensor
2. Fuel injector sub-harness (plugs into main harness)
3. Drive by wire harness (plugs into ECU)
4. Transmission harness (plugs into ECU)

So, it's totally feasible to buy a kit that doesn't exactly match what you want, and then buy individual harnesses to make up the difference. For example, I'm using a 24x main harness and valley-mounted knock sensors, but I'm using a newer-style DBW throttle and EV6/USCAR injectors. It all just plugs in and works once you've got the appropriate stuff set in the ECU config.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
I've got mine pretty good. Like was said above, put in your tire size and gear ratio and you are up and running. Then its a matter of tweaking the upshift/downshift curves to meat your liking, as well as your torque converter lock up speeds.

I haven't connected a pressure sensor and tuned anything with the line pressure.

Mine is a 2005 4L65e, from a Hummer H2, with a Corvette servo, and a Yank 3200.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemming104
Yeah, the only ECU difference between any of the kits is whether they come with the Terminator X or X Max ECU. The harnesses all interchange, and are all the same stuff that Holley sells for use with their HP and Dominator ECUs.

The way Holley does things, the following harnesses are all separate:
1. Main engine harness (plugs into ECU)--includes provisions for cam and crank sensor, coils, MAP, coolant, knock, and IAT sensor
2. Fuel injector sub-harness (plugs into main harness)
3. Drive by wire harness (plugs into ECU)
4. Transmission harness (plugs into ECU)

So, it's totally feasible to buy a kit that doesn't exactly match what you want, and then buy individual harnesses to make up the difference. For example, I'm using a 24x main harness and valley-mounted knock sensors, but I'm using a newer-style DBW throttle and EV6/USCAR injectors. It all just plugs in and works once you've got the appropriate stuff set in the ECU config.
Terminator Xmax has a couple configurations A) Drive by wire B) no DW but trans control both at $1300. C) both DW and trans control $ 1500.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, but those configurations are differences in included harnesses, not differences in the ECU itself. You could take a kit that originally had no transmission harness and add one later if you change configuration, or you could take one that had trans controls only and no drive-by-wire, and add drive-by wire later. Or you could use one that had the early-style drive by wire throttle plug, and switch it to one with the later style. My point was that, if Holley does not sell a kit with a combination of harnesses that is exactly what you need, you can order the relevant harnesses/sub-harnesses a la carte and get it to work by loading the appropriate ICFs when you build your tune.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Smo's04Gto
Terminator Xmax has a couple configurations A) Drive by wire B) no DW but trans control both at $1300. C) both DW and trans control $ 1500.
Yep, the ECU is the same for all 3.

Its really this:

A) XMaxx ECU + 1 harness ($1300)
B) XMaxx ECU + 1 harness ($1300)
C) XMaxx ECU + 2 harnesses ($1500)

Quick Reply: Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X