Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86’ mustang ls1/t56 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86’ mustang ls1/t56 swap questions

I’ve done allot of searching but I can’t find much info on the wiring part of this swap I suppose, my car is a 86’ mustang coupe 4cylinder carbureted, I have an opportunity of buying a 02’ camaro ss wrecked from the auction through my job, I want to retain factory appearance, factory ac controls, cold ac of course, I’m in south Florida home of the never ending summer, my question is do I have to get a harness out of a efi 4eye mustang? And splice it together with the camaros? I was hoping I could just use the camaro ecu and have vats removed? I’m trying to keep this as budget as possible, so I’ll be using a factory v8 k member with dd swap mounts, custom cross member, I’m doing all the work myself except I guess the custom drive shaft, any help will be appreciated!!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The DD mounts you’ve mentioned are going to work against your efforts to get the T56 under the tunnel and achieve desirable U-joint operating angles due to the stacked plate nature of their design, which will force the engine up higher off of the K-member than what is optimal for the install you are trying to do. In comparison, the Hooker Blackheart LS engine mounting brackets for the stock K-member mount the engine with the crankshaft at the same height as the stock SB Ford crankshaft. Just something for you to consider.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The DD mounts you’ve mentioned are going to work against your efforts to get the T56 under the tunnel and achieve desirable U-joint operating angles due to the stacked plate nature of their design, which will force the engine up higher off of the K-member than what is optimal for the install you are trying to do. In comparison, the Hooker Blackheart LS engine mounting brackets for the stock K-member mount the engine with the crankshaft at the same height as the stock SB Ford crankshaft. Just something for you to consider.
thanks for that I’ll look into those for sure
Old 04-20-2019, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I forgot that mention that you can also run a low-mount A/C compressor with the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets, which is something else you won’t be able to do with the DD engine mounts.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I was also wondering about the header situation, i was looking at the upr chromoly k member, it’s $400 and I can still use stock a arms and suspension, it will keep the engine low and reduces weight all the cool stuff, I’m wondering if with the upr k member I can get away with regular ls1 long tube headers or will there still be clearance issues somewhere? I’ve read of 351w swap headers with ls1 flanges, this is a route I may go as it’s cheaper then buying ls1 swap headers
Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

If you are referring to the UPR 5.0 K-member, I wouldn’t go that route as the steering rack mounting position is raised 1/2” higher than the rack position on the stock K-member, which will prevent you from getting the engine low enough in the K-member to optimize the installation of your T56 transmission. The UPR mod motor swap K-member is a better option in that sense, but the rear set-back of their LS adapter plates for it are again going to cause you grief with fitting your T56. The steering rack position, like all mod motor K-members, is at least an inch lower than the stock Fox rack position, so you will have to spend money and time to get your bump steer geometry sorted out following your install.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Well I found those mounts you were talking about, they also sell a cross member for the t56 it’s not to bad priced, I know I can make one for free so I’m not worried about that, i might just do the 351w headers with ls1 flanges and be done with it, I’m still wondering about the wiring, I was thinking of an ignition control panel, there’s someone local that can remove vats from factory ecu so I can just use that at first, I think I’m starting to sort out the details, have been reading about it all day lol
Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I can’t give you any input on the 351 headers as I’ve never attempted it. It could work out splendidly, or be a complete waste of time and money.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

I wish I could make transmission crossmembers for free. I always end up having to buy material, then have a ton of tools to cut, shape, and fit the metal. Then having it welded, or having to own a welder, and of course the knowledge to use it. Shielding gas and other welding supplies. Then once it's done, buying paint. Plus the 10-20 hours of my labor.

I must be doing this wrong.

Andrew
Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I wish I could make transmission crossmembers for free. I always end up having to buy material, then have a ton of tools to cut, shape, and fit the metal. Then having it welded, or having to own a welder, and of course the knowledge to use it. Shielding gas and other welding supplies. Then once it's done, buying paint. Plus the 10-20 hours of my labor.

I must be doing this wrong.

Andrew
i would suppose so, I work at a body shop, have everything plus free metal and I’ll do it myself, I guess if I charge myself for the labor idk if it’s free or I’m making money? 😏
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can’t give you any input on the 351 headers as I’ve never attempted it. It could work out splendidly, or be a complete waste of time and money.
yea I hear ya, I’ve read of people doing it, it all depends if and when I find what I need used, hopefully I just find a set of used headers that are made for the swap and call it a day