Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With the Gen 5 ECM, is a neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the Gen 5 ECM, is a neutral safety switch

Update: I think my question is irrelevant. I had the NSS wired in already, so even if it's redundant, it still operates like it should. This wiring can drive you crazy in a hurry!

Is a neutral safety switch required or does the ECM communicate with the TCM to determine if the transmission is in Park or Neutral?

I received my harness and ECM back from SwapTime for my conversion and there doesn't seem to be a place to connect the neutral safety switch. I suppose I could still run the Ignition wire through the neutral switch anyway, but is it really needed?

Also, the conversion is going into my 1982 Toyota 4x4. When I shift the transfer case into low (I actually have two low gears), how will the ECM know its in Low?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

Getting pretty close to starting this thing

Last edited by Bryan McCall; 07-19-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: adding a picture
Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Why don't you ask the guys who did your harness? They should know (hopefully!) how it all works and why they did not include a neutral safety switch connector.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Teching In

I think he is too busy. I haven稚 had a response back from him on a couple of other questions. I was hoping there were some gurus perusing this thread area.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a guru but I'm also doing a gen v swap and dealing with him. He actually sells a module that will give you this and a few other options for like $300. Hes making me one sometime soon and I'm getting the module mostely to control tap shift. He doesnt have much info on it and its new so I'm kind of going out on a limb with this one but I wanted to use a new camaro shifter and tapshift, this was his solution.

This guy is very busy and he rarely has a chance to reply to my texts or emails. He instructed me to call him rather than message him because hes very far behind on answering questions. Not the best thing for a business but at least he was honest about it lol.

ECM and TCM talk to each other to to tell what gear its in but I do not believe there is a direct output signal or signal you can use thats not CAN to incorporate the switch. His module converts the CAN signals to a more traditional signal I think.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Teching In

He is very busy. I think he might have a new kid on top of everything else. No worries. I値l get it figured out eventually. I would rather figure it out so I know how it works, but some things (like computer stuff) are beyond my skill set. He is a nice guy and I知 very pleased with the work he did. I値l check out that shifter. Eventually I値l need a way to keep the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear for off-road use. Upshifting while going over an obstacle can be very hazardous. Unfortunately, the 6l80 will not all you to shift into other gears. He explained it was in the programming. Hmmmm, maybe it will just stay in 1st gear while in the manual mode since there痴 no way to shift it up or down. It seems logical.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Texas speed guys have a newer video putting a L83 and 6 speed in their shop truck and they go over this in some detail and end up using a trans lever indicator with a Dakota digital module to make it work. This could be an option if you want it?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Jason, that would make it easy. I may do just that. I have the VHX gauges and the BIM01-02 module already. I already had the nsw wired in, so I kept it. If I can't fabricate a bracket for the reverse lights on the cheap, I'll just get the module they mentioned in the video. Thanks for the help btw.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The nuetral safety switch on 1990 and older cars are a mechanical switch on the column, shifter, or on the side of the transmission. On the new transmissions they are fully electronic with no mechanical switches. Because of this I had developed the muscle car can bus module to convert can bus signals to analog outputs to get reverse lights and a nuetral safety signal. It really depends on the vehicle on how to wire this in.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Hey Mr Vannatta, I think I will spring for your module. It would kill several birds with one stone. I知 close to finishing my exhaust all the way to the muffler and have a few more things to to do before I can attempt to start it. And that is some great info about how the TCM controls the necessary lights. I値l be sure to include it on my build thread. I致e gone back and watched your video on the muscle car module after our discussion on the phone and was able to understand it much better.