Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 mustang GT wanting to switch to ls 6.0l

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 mustang GT wanting to switch to ls 6.0l

Ok I have a 98 mustang GT completely stock. I'm new to the engine swap and is swaps. So I have some questions. I've decided to go ls swap to a 6.0l. what exactly do I need for the swap or is there a site or kit I can use
Old 10-02-2019, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Go here....https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p..._swap_systems/ pick 94-04 they have every thing you need, not cheap but very complete.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:20 AM
formerly projectLS10, 2014-09-01

whats your goals with the car? boost? NA Im on the tail end of my swap in my 03 GT. It took me awhile but my problem is not having time with working two jobs. Its really an easy swap. Im running AJE front k-member, mounts, and trans crossmember. No fitment issues.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by NC03GT
whats your goals with the car? boost? NA Im on the tail end of my swap in my 03 GT. It took me awhile but my problem is not having time with working two jobs. Its really an easy swap. Im running AJE front k-member, mounts, and trans crossmember. No fitment issues.

NA. Eventually might do boost. Just want to no everything needed from k member to computer
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The problem is that the LS platform and the Mustang are both well enough supported that you're going to need to provide a more concrete set of goals for your build if you actually want good advice; you have LOTS of options to choose from.
  • Do you want to use an aftermarket K-member? If so, what type do you prefer? There are ways to make this work with the stock one.
  • What transmission do you want to use? If manual, do you want to retrofit to a hydraulic clutch, or kludge together a setup to keep the cable.
  • Do you intend to do your own tuning, or have someone else do it? Have you tuned a factory-style EFI system before? How radical do you anticipate going? A lot of the full aftermarket setups are easier to tune (Holley EFI, for example), but the factory ECUs are also very well supported and can be made to work--it's just more time-consuming.
  • Do you have to pass strict emissions checks?
  • Do you want to maintain air conditioning?
I can see a few other things that you are definitely going to have to address with this setup, regardless of the choices above:
  • You're either going to have to figure out how to drive your Hydroboost brakes off a GM PS pump, or convert back to a vacuum brake booster (yes, it WILL clear the valve covers)
  • If you intend to source an LS-style engine from a truck, the truck intake manifold is too tall and will not clear the hood at the front, near the throttle body. You will either want to switch to a car-style intake manifold or get a taller hood.
  • Similarly, the truck accessory drive has a narrow layout that places the alternator very high. If you intend to switch to a car-style intake manifold for hood clearance, you will need to get a different accessory drive. Which accessory drive you desire to use may partially depend on your future plans for forced induction.
  • The truck oil pan is too deep to maintain reasonable ground clearance. However, the optimal choice here will be partially dictated by what type of K-member you want to use.
  • If you intend to keep power steering, you can probably just use the GM pump, shim it to drop the pressure a bit, and either get a custom line made to run the PS rack, or just do what I did and cobble something together with a 3/8" Swagelok.
There are a LOT of Mustang LS swaps on here, including a fair number of SN95 swaps, so you should probably read through some of those build threads and see what looks good to you before proceeding.

Last edited by lemming104; 10-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
Go here....https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p..._swap_systems/ pick 94-04 they have every thing you need, not cheap but very complete.
x2.... I have the Holley mounts for my Team Z K-member as well s the trans crossmember and they are top notch quality. Planning on ordering the Turbo Exhaust manifolds they have soon as well.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:55 PM

I am also in the very beginning stage of LS swapping my 96 SN95. I purchased a 2005 LQ4 6.0L that I am currently cleaning up and getting ready. I intend on using the Holley swap parts, including the Terminator X system, utilizing the stock K-member with a 4L80E transmission.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That sounds like it should be nearly plug and play.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes to Holley Teminator. Tried Fitech in a Fox swap and it’s Ok but less tunable and has limits, harness is nice.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

AJE or UPR kmembers are nice. UPR can be ordered in 4130 material which is light and can be ordered with extra narrow control arms that tuck the front wheels in some.
1-7/8” long tube headers from anyone really.
Can use 4th gen Fbody radiator and fan to save a little money, fits and works well in SN95.

Quick Reply: 98 mustang GT wanting to switch to ls 6.0l