Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 s10 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 5.3 s10 build

Hey guys. Been working on a project for a few weeks now and was thinking i should make a build thread as they have always helped me in the past and still to this day . I guess this is my way of giving back lol.. so last month i picked up a 84 s10 reg cab short bed from a guy in virginia. It was a project he never got around to doing and lost interest. I picked up the truck for $2200. It was stripped to the bones . No engine, trans, wiring, no interior. The guy did get around to puting a cut ford 9" rear in it with a spool . So this was a big kicker . Was told it has 5.13s . So will probably need to swap that out in the future but for now it stays. It has 2 inch drop spindles in the front and running a single leaf under the axle in the rear probably around a 2.5 -3" drop from factory . . So this is my new girl, ill be sure to update this thread regulary as i continue my build .

The following 3 users liked this post by Stolfi_Built:
B52bombardier1 (03-29-2020), G Atsma (03-28-2020), JayinMI (03-28-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Looks like a good foundation for your build but yea, those diff gears will have to go away. Leaving a stop sign at 5000 RPM will soon become tedious.

Rick
Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Thank you im thinking 410s maybe but thats still down the road its going to be a pretty dedicated drag truck . With the occasional drive on the street here and there .
Old 04-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Teching In

So the other day i got around to cutting the crossmember . I used a mix of a sawzall and a cutting wheel to get it cut out as straight as possible . Smoothed out the edges and put on a slight bevel with the grinder and pulled out some cardboard and scissors to make some templates. Once i cut my 3 pieces of cardboard and everything fit the way i wanted i traced it onto some 1/8" steel plate . Cut grind and repeat. This was the end result . Very happy the way it came out . Not going to lie i was nervous cutting into the frame but after doing so i dont think its lost much if not any strength after boxing it back up . I also removed the old motor mounts and installed the s10V8 swap mounts i opted for the solid motor mounts. I left the mounts a little loose to make it easier to install the engine when the time comes . Now just need to order a pan . I think im going to go with the holley swap pan seems to be tried and true pan for this swap. Was looking a the A-Team peformance pan seems to be a knockoff holley but cannot find any reviews on the product or any dimensions to see of it will fit on my setup . But for $200 compared to $350 for the holley it is tempting

Stock

Made all my cuts

Installed the s10v8 solid motor mounts

All welded up

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 04-07-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

That looks like a super sweet start. What is the long term plan for engine and trans? N/A, N2o, boost? The Holley stuff is the way to go IMO. I built my swap almost 9 years ago. The Holley pan was just coming out. I pulled my setup back out and swapped the pan as soon as it was released.
I now have the 80e in it with their crossmember.
Without knowing the remainder of the plan, guessing at gears is just guessing for now.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Teching In

@rpturbo The plan is using a 5.3 lm7 i picked up for $550 mating it with a built th350 with a b&m nitrous holeshot convertor 3500 stall.. im running spray on this truck i have always done turbos in my cars/diesel trucks want to try somthing different. Im going to spray a 150 shot probably dry since i think im going to run the holley terminator ecu and harness so i should have no issue richning the fuel maps for the nitrous. Still brain storming the fuel setup. Im going to run a 15 gal fuel cell with most likely a inline pump . Either aeromotive or holley. Trying to decide if i should just run 8an line or 6an . I do plan on making some good power in the future. Want to run a full manual valvbody on the trans with a transbrake also in the near future . Going to be pretty gutted on the inside except a factory dash with some autometer gauges. For now going to run the truck intake until i get it it running then probably a holley hi ram or ls6 intake.

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 04-07-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Those look like the same mounts I have, and I'm going to notch the frame similarly to clear my H3 oil pan that was sub $200 with the pickup. Might be worth looking for, might be cheaper.
The Holley is meant to work with Holley mounts and stuff, and the only reason I could see going with their whole kit is to avoid cutting the crossmember and being able to pull the engine trans out as a unit without lifting the body. Mine didn't clear until I pulled the oil pan for mock up.

Jay
Old 04-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Had some time to clean up the old lm7 . Used a needle scaler and then sprayed 3 coates of gloss black duplicolor engine enamel.. looking much better now i need to order a pan that way i can drop the motor in the truck and fab a crossmember for the trans mount. Whats everyones thoughts on using a hoist plate that bolts onto the valley? Strong enough to use with engine and trans bolted together?

Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Teching In

@JayinMI i thought about using the hummer pan but i read that it sits below the crossmember . Firgure for the money its worth just stepping up to the holley pan and not looking back
Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stolfi_Built
@JayinMI i thought about using the hummer pan but i read that it sits below the crossmember . Firgure for the money its worth just stepping up to the holley pan and not looking back
I had thought about it sitting lower after I made that last post. When I started my swap, Holley didn't have the parts, now I probably would have used at least the mounts and pan. I figure if I bottom out the pan, I'll switch to the Holley. lol

Jay
Old 04-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Ordered the holley terminator x and a TSP Ls swap oil pan. With the pan i should be ready to drop the motor and trans in the truck . I went to the local steel yard and picked up some material for the trans crossmember. Iv been doing some body work on the truck to keep me busy. I sanded the roof to bare steel due to some moisture getting through the primer the previous guy did causing a few rust spots to come up . I put etching primer first to get a good bite to the steel. Then 2 coates of primer . I have a few low spots i need to work out still .

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 04-19-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Got my pan TSP pan installed. Could not be happier with the product . Direct bolt on for a lm7 didnt have to modify anything on the windage tray for the oil pick up . Heres a few pics

Dropped the pan

A look inside checked to make sure there was no slop in the bottom end . A little dirty but overall everything looked good

Stock windage tray back on and installed the new tsp oil pickup

4 bolts to install the provided baffle in the pan

Pan on

24mm 48ft lbs

👍

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 04-23-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Teching In

De pinned the factory wire harness. Got rid of most the the stuff i didnt need left a few extra wires that i was not sure about. Only need headlight, signals, wipers, tailights and ignition switch . Everything else will be done through the holley terminator x.

Labeling my wires that im keeping for future reference

Main engiine harness plug attaches at the firewall connector to fusebox

Pulling the tc lockup wire . Will not be needing this since going with a th350

Had time to test fit the dash . I will be pulling to clean and possibly paint still need to put in gauges also.

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 04-24-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Gotta follow this one! Love an S10 build.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Default Valley cover lift plate

Getting ready to drop the motor and trans in so i figured i would make my own valley lift plate. Costed about 10 bucks in material over $50-$80.

i started ou going to the local steel yard and searching for a peice of flat stock as close to "6 wide by 15" then you need another peice to use as the hoist connection . Theres a 100 ways to do this i chose to keep it simple ans bought another piece of flat stock "8 ×"2 and 1/4" thick . This was way overkill if i was to do it again i would probably do this go with thinner plate.

Started of by taking of the valley cover

Measured it up and placed it center to catch 3 bolts on each side. Important for balance on the hoist.

Placed the vally cover on top of the plate and marked where i need to drill again keep everything even and center

3/8 drill bill for valley cover bolts

Checked for fitment

Now for the piece i attach the hoist too. I used a 1/2 drill but and put in 5 holes 1 being dead center to the plate.

All welded up.. again keeping it all centered. I popped the breaker in garage a few time having the welder all turned up and only having it hooked to 120v i have 220 but still need to get a plug wired up in there for it . So welds were not great hard to get good penatration. But overall should be good enough

Painted it with some black engine enamel

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 05-02-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used my Dirty Dingo lift plate with my transmission attached, and it didn't fall off or break. lol. I also didn't even consider it would be an issue....although, it was heavy on the transmission side and made for a hell of an angle. I bought a leveler since then, so hopefully when I put it back in I can balance it better.

Jay
Old 05-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Dash is in. I put some epoxy on a few cracks to stiffin up the panels and then painted the dash with duplicolor vinyl paint. Also went to the steel uard and pick up some aluminum diamond plate . Cut it to fit inside my cluster opening and used hole saw to cut for guages . Only have rpm, oil pressure, and volt guages as of now .

Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Teching In

I dropped the motor in the truck a few days ago . So im pretty siked about that fit in there pretty good . Kniwing what i know now i probably would of cut my crosamember notch a bit wider. Other than that eveeyrhing fit like a dream the s10v8 mounts looked awesome . I ordered some dowel pins for ict billet after looking everywhere local for a set and coming up empty handed. Once i got those i was ready to put it in the truck heres a few pictures

Took the rad support and front fenders off in one piece to make room for the new powerplant

Had to use 2 washer to take up the gap between the converter tabs and the flexplate. This also gave me perfect spacing of \"1/8

Another look at the shimming done

And shes ready for install

All put in. I still need to figure out the trans mount situation but looking at it i may be able to use the stock crossmember with little to no mods . I will keep you updated!

Last edited by Stolfi_Built; 05-10-2020 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 s10 build