Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my 67 Chevelle running almost perfect and this happened

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Got my 67 Chevelle running almost perfect and this happened

I have a 67 Chevelle and I put cammed lq9. I had just rebuilt the engine with a forged crank and rods from my old turbo 5.3 and I got a set of JE pistons for it.. I also converted the car from a th400 to a tremec t56 magnum. I spent some time with a buddy who does tuning getting this thing running perfect. I take her out for a cruise, runs great.. swing back home to get my wife and we go around the block and I hear a “clank” and then the engine shuts down.

luckily I was within a mile from the house. Get the car home to diagnose it. I had some suspicions so I popped the oil cap off and had my brother in law turn the engine over.. the rocker that I could see from the oil fill port was not moving at all..

removed the valve covers, had him bump it again and there was ZERO movement.

my 3 jaw puller is too big to get the corvette balancer off but I was able to pull the cover away from the block enough to stick my camera in there.

the damn cam bolts backed out! I torqued them to 26ft lbs but didn’t use loctite.. boy do I really regret that.

i also used that little camera to peak into a couple cylinders and can’t tell if the piston kissed the valve or not.. I’ll add some pictures on here.

I drained the oil and to my surprise there wasn’t any big pieces of metal in it.

once I get the balancer off I’ll know more.

Cam position sensor says it all

There is 1 bolt still attached

This was cylinder #2. I can’t tell if what’s circled in red is damage from where the valve hit the piston or if it’s fuel and carbon mixed together.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Sorry about that man! Sucks to have stuff break, just when things were working well.

Andrew
Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welp I'm 100% loctighting mine now
Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 AM
TECH Regular

Got the timing cover off, here are some pictures of the carnage.

good news, no bent pushrods. I going to do a leak down for all cylinders to check for cracked pistons or bent valves.

I used my inspection camera to check the inside of The engine and I’m glad I did, I found the other half of the cam dowel pin and I was able to retrieve it.

Here is the initial view after the cover was removed.

The cam gear is toast!!

The cam gear ate into the damper causing a bit of plastic debris

The cam retainer plate also has wear so that’s being replaced as well

The cover has some very minor damage to the inside. You can see all the plastic debris.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 551 Likes on 345 Posts

Damn... Can you get a replacement pin for the cam or is it toast?
Old 04-21-2020, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Great News!!

I did a cylinder leak down test and all 8 cylinders had between 5%-8% leak down with 90psi supply air. So no bent valves and no holes in the pistons.

I cleaned everything up and ordered so parts to fix it. Katech chain, new 1x cam gear, damper, cam position sensor, oil pump and other odds and ends.

Oil pump got damaged but luckily it didn’t go all the way through into the oil pump

Old 04-21-2020, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Damn... Can you get a replacement pin for the cam or is it toast?

it’s toast.. broke in half. I’m not going to run another one. The hole looks elongated and I don’t want to take a chance of a new pin falling out. Between the 3 bolts, loctite and the comp cams cam bolt locking plate It should be fine.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Did you see any metal particles inside the oil pump? If not, I'd do a crazy /**** cleaning of everything and install all new parts. Maybe pull a couple rod caps to take a peek. Hopefully everything looks good.

Quick Reply: Got my 67 Chevelle running almost perfect and this happened