Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Cuda LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Wasn't planning on messing with the car today, rather the truck but of course the tie rods i ordered for the truck were wrong so I messed with the Cuda. Was going to replace the rear u joint and change the diff fluid but after checking both, I don't need to. The rear u joint seems ok still and the diff is full of mostly new fluid i put in it a while back. I did however see the gear tag for the first time. Shows 3.23 gears which means it automatically has sure grip which I knew just by turning the wheels. But, the sure grip is on its way out or at least acts like it. Both wheels don't spin together every rotation so I assume the sure grip is worn? Either way no point in pulling it out, re gasketing it and putting in more new fluid as I'd prefer to just do that whenever i replace the whole 3rd member with a new one. All i have left is install the driveshaft loop then aside from that, I'm out of parts to install and cant spend anymore money on stuff for a while. Unless its cheap. Tomorrow I will be installing a Bluetooth deal to the OBD port so I can run gauges through the computer to my phone off an app. A very cheap option for gauges until I figure out what I'm going to do there.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Launching!

5 days later my "one day shipping" amazon package arrived. Its a diagnostics scanner plus lets you run gauges off an app. So, for just under $40 I have gauges for the swap. The scanner was $33 on amazon and the app was $5.

poems are forever
best poem for friendship day

The following 2 users liked this post by 78TranzAm:
CHIVOBLING (12-12-2023), G Atsma (04-04-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:31 PM
Launching!

So, the brand new in tank Holley fuel pump I got from Summit decided to stop working last night... When I flip the switch all it does is make a "thud" sound. I've tried running power directly to it and it does the same thing. So, im sending it back to Summit for an exchange, which I hope they'll do since I ordered it late February. So, had to drain and remove the tank.

Also, side note. Now that the car is lowered I need to change the slip yoke yet again, I need a shorter one... lol.

cute mexican babies

Last edited by 78TranzAm; 04-06-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,194 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
So, the brand new in tank Holley fuel pump I got from Summit decided to stop working last night... When I flip the switch all it does is make a "thud" sound. I've tried running power directly to it and it does the same thing. So, im sending it back to Summit for an exchange, which I hope they'll do since I ordered it late February. So, had to drain and remove the tank.

Also, side note. Now that the car is lowered I need to change the slip yoke yet again, I need a shorter one... lol.

cute mexican babies
We hate to hear this about the Holley in-tank pump you purchased from us. If you need any assistance from us on this end don't hesitate to reach out. You can always shoot us a PM with your order info and details of the problem with the pump. We'll be happy to help!

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
The following users liked this post:
78TranzAm (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Summitracing
We hate to hear this about the Holley in-tank pump you purchased from us. If you need any assistance from us on this end don't hesitate to reach out. You can always shoot us a PM with your order info and details of the problem with the pump. We'll be happy to help!
Thanks! I just sent you a private message.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Hopefully you get all the bugs worked out. Cool you can always depend on Summit to take care of problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by jasons69chevelle:
78TranzAm (04-07-2022), Ls7colorado (04-18-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
Hopefully you get all the bugs worked out. Cool you can always depend on Summit to take care of problems.
Thanks, me too. If its not one thing its another... but thats just how it goes. And Joe with Summit here has been a huge help. Summit in general is great.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Launching!

So I finally got to putting on header wrap. I've never touched it and after this, never want to again. I couldn't get the wrap tight on either header so it sits a little loose and then the metal zip ties? would NOT tighten up enough to stay in place. Theyre just barely tight enough but you can still move them around. I don't know if its just a first timer issue or if I just got crappy stuff but I really hope it does its job and I don't have to pull them off and just spray them with ceramic coat or something. Guess we'll find out. Id like to keep engine bay temps down this summer and keep the plugs from frying.

Also, while I had the passenger side header off, I took one of the plug wire boots and ran the main starter wires through it as those wires sit maybe an 1/8 of an inch from the collector.

free photo hosting
Old 04-08-2022, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks, me too. If its not one thing its another... but thats just how it goes. And Joe with Summit here has been a huge help. Summit in general is great.
Sorry again about the trouble with the original fuel pump. Glad we could get it warrantied out for you and a new one on its way. You should have the replacement this weekend!

Joe

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Summitracing:
78TranzAm (04-08-2022), G Atsma (04-08-2022), Ls7colorado (04-18-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Launching!

I received the new fuel pump today and got it installed. The cuda lives again all thanks to Summit on here!

Added some sound deadener as padding on top of the tank as I still couldn't figure out the loud rattling sound I mentioned before. I figured maybe it was the gas tank sitting up against the bottom of the trunk pan. Then I found that a baffle? Or something of the sort in the tank has what looks like a metal cap so I wonder if its a vent? Its a 4 port gas tank so it has the emissions ports and the one with the metal cap on it is the culprit to my rattling sound. The only way to quiet down the rattling is to fill the gas tank completely. So, now, at least I know where the sound is coming from.

I should, within the next 2 weeks officially be able to start daily driving the Cuda. Next on the list is slip yoke and heat shield for the floor, roof and doors along with sound deadener.

Summitracing (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default tablet?

5 days later my "one day shipping" amazon package arrived. Its a diagnostics scanner plus lets you run gauges off an app. So, for just under $40 I have gauges for the swap. The scanner was $33 on amazon and the app was $5.

poems are forever
best poem for friendship day
Can you display them on a tablet attached to the dash?
Old 04-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Murray
Can you display them on a tablet attached to the dash?
Thats most likely the future plan. Ive always loved aftermarket autometer gauges in the factory dash in old cars but obviously hooking up a tablet will make it much easier and far less wiring/ wiring mess.

*Edit*. Just ordered a $60 tablet off Amazon, will be here Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited by 78TranzAm; 04-11-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:03 PM
Launching!

So, decided to do the rear U-joint. For $18, it was just cheap insurance. But, given I use a socket and a hammer to get the old ones out, its never an easy task but got it done. I got lucky on the U joint as I guessed the size. From the factory the 8 3/4 either got the bigger 7290 series u joint or 7260. I ordered the 7290 and lucky enough it fit. Now I just need an inch shorter slip yoke but the one that's in it will be ok for now.

I then moved on and re routed the battery cable. In previous interior pics you can see it running through the passenger side floor board. Given Ill be putting down heat shield and sound deadener I needed to get it out of the way. So, I finally removed the old fuel lines that run down the passenger side and I routed the battery cable the same way those lines were routed. I had to drill holes in the seat bracket plates that attach to the rocker panel so that the battery cable could sit flush up against the floor board and not below the rocker. Then I was able to slide it through the front frame rail and out the front of it to connect it to the starter.

I then drove it around the neighborhood for a little while. Got it up to speed finally to feel it shift into 4th. It definitely needs a tune and Id like to make the shift points hit a little sooner but for daily driving around town it should be good for now. With the Summit electric fan my father in law got me the coolant temp sits at 180*. No leaks accept from the bottom of the 50yr old gear box which im not touching anytime soon lol.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Launching!

The Cuda is officially on the road as of today and 100% legal. She did great too, ran nice and cool, steering was good. But of course my filler neck has a hole in it so it leaked out gas for a while until enough leaked out to be below the hole. Just going to order a new filler neck rather than JB weld the one thats in it. Its rusty too so. But other then that can't complain. Definitely needs much more suspension work. Would love to get coil overs in the rear but its all gonna take much more money. For now, she's drive able and enjoyable. The amount of looks I got driving it around today was insane. I love driving old school cars but hate the attention lol.

68Formula (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,128 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Good shocks and sway bars, plus maybe CalTracs, is all the rear needs....
78TranzAm (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good shocks and sway bars, plus maybe CalTracs, is all the rear needs....
Ya. It definitely needs a different set of front shocks. Theyre new but theyre set for stock ride height. Now that the front is 2 inches lower im going to guess theres not really any travel in them now. I don't know how to measure or pick out shocks based of ride height as i've always just ordered shocks based on the vehicle.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Launching!

I got the tablet which is now the gauge cluster. Not the biggest fan of how its mounted as it slightly moves around while driving given bumps and what not, id like a more stable hold down but, it works. For some reason the fuel rate gauge isn't working on the tablet but when I pull the gauges up on my phone it does? Not sure what thats about. Kinda worried me this morning because I went to start the car after hitting the ECU/fuel pump switch and it died a couple seconds after starting like it wasn't getting enough fuel pressure. But I didn't have any fuel issues the rest of the day driving it so idk. But either way. This thing is a blast to drive and probably my favorite personal car ever. The LS and overdrive just makes it such a better car to drive. The amount of attention it gets is already annoying though, only because I just keep getting asked "is it for sale", "would you sell it" and its just like. If it was for sale, itd have a for sale sign on it... lol

Old 04-18-2022, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd probably run some grommets where the battery cable goes through the sheetmetal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alwhite00:
78TranzAm (04-18-2022), james_drives (04-19-2022), Jimbo1367 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ya. It definitely needs a different set of front shocks. Theyre new but theyre set for stock ride height. Now that the front is 2 inches lower im going to guess theres not really any travel in them now. I don't know how to measure or pick out shocks based of ride height as i've always just ordered shocks based on the vehicle.
We have an article in our Help Center on this very topic. Check out the "What length shocks do I need" article. There's also a helpful article on choosing between Twin-Tube and Monotube with sub-articles on each design.

We have a large variety of universal shocks. From that page, you can filter it down by price, brand, shock design, extended length, compressed length, and more. You'd be surprised how much better a 40+year-old vehicle will drive and feel with some basic suspension upgrades. Shocks, springs, bushings, and sway bars can make a world of difference in handling!

If you need further assistance selecting suspension components don't hesitate to reach out to us via PM. We'll be happy to help!

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
78TranzAm (04-21-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Most people think your gonna sell a cherished muscle car for $1500. Those days are over. This isn’t the 80s
78TranzAm (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: 73 Cuda LS Swap