Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a wreck in my Z!! Get a V6????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Had a wreck in my Z!! Get a V6????

Ok i have read that it can be done, but does anyone have some first hand knowledge. I had a wreck in my Z and am thinking of just getting a V6 and swapping the engine,tranny,pcm, etc. Also i don't think i will be able to use the front suspension. What all would i have to swap over to the V6? The swap does not seem like it would be to bad, just a lot of labor. Thanks

Oh forgot to mention the car is a 98 and i plan on getting a 98 or higher V6

Last edited by Evo98z; 01-28-2005 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay with the same year... Or get a matching year harness and pcm for the new car.

Engine, k-member, steering rack. Transmission, cross-member. Wiring harness. Power up INJ2 on the v6 chassis harness. V8 radiator. V8 heater hoses. V8 front springs. V8 sway bars. V8 tank and lines. V8 lid. V8 gauge cluster.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

whats "Power up INJ2 "??

and is this the "steering rack"...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98'MidnightBlueBird'
whats "Power up INJ2 "??

and is this the "steering rack"...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
There is an INJ1 and an INJ2 circuit in the v8 pcm. INJ1 takes 12v for coils and injectors on one bank, and INJ2 takes 12v for coils and injectors on the other bank. The v6 chassis wiring omits INJ2 because they drive all 6 cylinders on INJ1. There's a slot in the fusebox labeled for INJ2, but no wire...

At the 3 wiring connectors on the fenderwell, I jumpered the rear o2 heater wire over to the INJ2 feed. Since the 3 connectors on the fenderwell are the dividing line between the pcm wiring and the chassis wiring. I'm not using the rear o2 sensors, and it's hot only when the switch is on, so it worked out good for me.

That is a steering rack. It looks like an LS1 piece in the picture. The shaft leans more toward the rear and to the driver's side on the LS1, to clear the #1 exhuast tube. The lt1 and v6 rack has the shaft sticking up straighter. Not only does the v6 rack interfere with the exhaust, it also puts the p/s lines in the same place was the plastic cover on the back of the alternator...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Is there a lot of wiring that has to be done? Thats the only thing that seems like it would pose a problem for me. I don't have any experience wiring up a car. Thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a 98 v6 to v8 swap. I got the pcm and pcm/engine wiring harness with the swap engine.

The chassis and dash harnesses did not have to be changed. I was able to keep the stock ones on my car. You connect the pcm/engine wiring harness to the chassis harness via the 3 connectors on the fenderwell. You connect the pcm/engine wiring harness to the dash harness via 3 connectors under the dash.

The engine wiring harness had to be connected to the frame in a couple of places (ground wires) - same as the v6 setup that I took out. It also had a hot wire that goes to that red thing (technical term...) by the 2 fuseboxes. The 2 grounds and the hot wire are bolt-on, and are in the same locations as the one you'll take out. They're easy.

The only other thing I had to do, was the one jumper wire. I traced down the rear o2 sensor heater wire using a Helms manual, and jumpered it to the INJ2 wire. Just a 6" piece of wire that is connected to 2 of the wires in the pcm harness, on the passenger fenderwell. Piece of cake...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Once again the dreaded V6 rack vs. the V8 rack pic: top is V6, bottom is V8 , ask John_D. how he knows you have to have the V8 rack , go on, ask him.....
Attached Thumbnails Had a wreck in my Z!!  Get a V6????-dscf0290.jpg  
Old 02-01-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Sweet that does not seem bad at all. Thanks John D for the info. It makes me feel a lot better about the swap. Thanks