Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 speed fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 speed fan wiring

What's the consensus of opinion regarding wiring two speed electric fans. Does one use two temperature probes, low speed on at 180 and high at 200 or use the low speed at 180 and use the AC cycle for high speed? Is there a wiring design to do both? I'm not using the PCM to trigger the fans. The set-up is a 5.3 in a Sonoma with dual fans from a Ford Contour/Mystique. The Ford set-up spins both fans for each speed but the turn on remp is controlled by the PCM.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use the PCM to control the fans? The factory way was to run the fans in slow speed above a certain temp and in fast when a higher temp (can't remember off the top of my head) was reached or the A/C was turned on. There are three relays that control this with two lines running from the PCM. The fans run in series for slow speed, 6V.The system is much simpler than trying to use two temp probes plus the temp sensor for the PCM. I have a schematic drawing of the three relay setup if anyone wants it.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Why not use the PCM to control the fans? The factory way was to run the fans in slow speed above a certain temp and in fast when a higher temp (can't remember off the top of my head) was reached or the A/C was turned on. There are three relays that control this with two lines running from the PCM. The fans run in series for slow speed, 6V.The system is much simpler than trying to use two temp probes plus the temp sensor for the PCM. I have a schematic drawing of the three relay setup if anyone wants it.
Ditto, I intend to use the PCM for the speed control and dual fans. Why not it is there and I can edit the PCM for the desired temps. I have a Corvette manual that shows the wiring also.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Teching In

The PCM program for the 5.3 trucks does not have a fan trigger pin like the LS1, not sure if it can be added. I'm worried the low speed may not be sufficient airflow to kee the motor cool in traffic and when towing.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 5.3 computer CAN be modified to run the e-fans. It only turns on the low temp fan though. But this is easily made to work. Simply wire the trigger signal from the computer to turn on and off both fans at temperature. There is no "slow speed" when you do this. They are on or off.
Don't forget to wire them to the A/C also (If you are running A/C) so they will be on when the compressor is engaged.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

70 LS1, is there any way I could see that wiring schematic? Thanks, Jesse.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoRotor88
70 LS1, is there any way I could see that wiring schematic? Thanks, Jesse.
Here is the schematic for the three relay 2 speed setup from the GM manual.
Attached Thumbnails 2 speed fan wiring-fans.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. Jesse

Quick Reply: 2 speed fan wiring