Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap into LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap into LT1

First off I know someone has done it and if so...how much did it cost to have it done? Kinda wanna know what all I need to do it as well...I pretty much know I need the motor/tranny and wiring harness...what else is needed to make this swap work perfectly and properly? Just considering the possibilities
Old 08-24-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 252 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a friends 96 Firebird in my driveway that he did. The tranny will work, you just need a LS1 bellhousing. Your most expensive part is the engine and PCM with Harness. He dealt mainly with the guys at Street and performance. They were a great help to him. These guys are the retrofit experts. www.hotrodlane.cc

They will also have anything you might need. They had also done the tune in this car and it rocks.

OH and the biggest thing you will need is the 98-02 rack and pinion. It has more of and angle than the LT1 cars. This is a must if you plan to have headers.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Launching!

I have always been told that I have to get an "ls1" tranny...so you're saying my current tranny out of my 1994 will fit with a ls1 bellhousing?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The LT1 T56 will not work with an LS1 engine, even with the LS1 bellhousing. The input shaft it different. You need the LS1 bellhousing and LS1 T56.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 252 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes, the M6 in the guys car in my driveway is a 94 TA tranny and he bought the Bellhousing from GM (got a deal).
I could be wrong but this is what he told me he has.
His car was orginally a V6, A4 bird, and he retroed the drivetrain, except for the rearend, which is soon to come. The M6's bellhousing is separate from the tranny, which makes R&R very easy. We dropped his tranny, from the start to finish (driveshaft, tq arm, etc, etc.) in 32 minutes. The real PITA part is the little plastic sleeve you need for the line to the slave cyl. Be sure to break open the bleeder valve and the line pops right off.
His motor is a 98 vette w/ same pcm, S&P tune. His worst part (when he had to find me) was when he cut the hole in the firewall for the MC. He ended up ripping the MC through the firewall and we had fab up a plate for strength. But you won't have that issue b/c you're already an M6.
Now, he did do his swap from the top (in a gravel driveway) and I definately DO NOT recommend that. Best bet, from the bottom. It's doable from the top, but a major PITA, let alone you stand a good chance of breaking some stuff.
He also had to fab up some fuel lines that he ran through a FPR because the LT1 routing and hook-ups were different. I can send you some pics since his tranny is out and just sitting in my driveway.
PM me if you want. He doesn't get on this site much but I could probably get him to email you with any answers you may need.
Casey
Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

I was told the K-member also has to be replaced... I'm considering doing the same thing..

From the research i've done... you need

Raditator
Rack & Pinon
K-member
Ls1/PCM
Ls1 bell housing
wouldn't be a bad idea to get an LS1 drive shaft.
ABS unit
alt, powersteering, Traction control (if you want it)
If you get a vette motor you will need a F-body oil pan.
LS1 also have a bigger fuel tank if you want that... and bigger brakes..
otherwise I think thats all the big stuff..
Engine mounts are different...

i'm sure others will chim in with more knowledge.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Launching!

yeah...i dont know about doing the swap now, but maybe in the near future...if a deal comes along for a ls1 engine/tranny combo I might consider it, until then i am gonna hang onto the old faithful lt1
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completed my lt1 to ls1 swap about a month ago now and the bill ran ~$5500 with everything including labor figured in. I'm happy with it and am about to do a heads and cam swap next month. If you have any further ?s just ask.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Why the swap? Alot of money and labor involved for little gain to no gain? Into a V6 I get but not if you already have an LT1/T56. Just wondering...
Old 10-11-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

yes, the getting a V6 manual would be my suggestion also. plus insurance would be less... because its a "V6"

if you are just wanting an LS1 but the LT1 look, massage on an LT1 front onto a LS1 car.. would be easier to switch body pannels than to switch motors imo i realize there are probably 100 diffrent variables of why you thought about it but id say nah..

Quick Reply: LS1 swap into LT1