Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about doin the harness for my project myself.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about doin the harness for my project myself.

If there is anyone here who has rewired an ls1 harness that is willing to share some info, please help. I have been wanting to go the speartech route, but money just will not allow it, and I really need to get this thing on the road. If I can do it for now atleast to get it on the road, and then get it to speartech later, I would like to. The only thing is that I know I will need some help here. So I turn to you all for that as I always have in the past.

Chris
Old 09-16-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink LS1 Harness...

I think, if you do the research in this same conversion section, you will find most everything you will need for modifying your exsisting harness, just enough, to get it started & running. Things like VATS bypass modules, fuel pump wiring, etc... is all covered. But, I would eventually get your harness & computer sent out to a pro for a rework. You can gain valuable, untapped horsepower, proper oxygen sensor tuning, many systems deleted that are not needed, etc., the list goes on & on... Gar
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Hey exodus,
I am in the same boat as you. I am not in a great rush, got about 4 weeks before my Wayne Due frame arrives, but this is an area I would like to start on. Getting un-needed wires removed, building, or otherwise, the needed stuff for fans, fuel pump, scanner port, tach/speedo, etc... List is almost endless. I would be more than happy to work with you on this, and maybe save each other some frustration. Mine is a 2000 LS1/M6 going into a '69 Camaro.
ATAK
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

I have something that may help. I bought a modified harness for a 99 and up PCM a while ago. I decided to go with a 1998 PCM so I don't need it anymore. I took two connectors off for the O2 sensors but other then that it is unmolested and includes labels on all the wires.
Give me $100 plus shipping and it's yours.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Teching In

redmist, who modified the harness? I may be interested if the others aren't.
Todd
Old 09-16-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

I don't remember exactly. I was a guy who deals exclusively with LS1 parts pulled off the assembly line. He started with a brand new 6.0 truck harness, pulled off all the non-drivetrain stuff and put it all together. Nice job. I actually had it all hooked up to my motor before I switched to a 1998 PCM
Old 09-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Did you have it running?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Nope, I didn't have a 99 PCM.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be great if my pcm wasn't a 98 also.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What provisions does it have? Let me know. i'm interested.

olly
Old 11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

read the FAQ at the top. it covers it pretty well. I used the factory fuse box to supply all the power to the PCM. it is fairly simple. just remove all the flex wrap. trace each wire from the connectors to the PCM. remove what you do not need. you can run your fans, AC, cruise, ETC if you use the factory fuse box.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

went with speartech. more expensive, but a hell of a lot more reliable i think.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Teching In

You didn't say if you had the engine running or not. I thinned my own down, but I had bought a whole 98 Camaro total. The engine ran before I took it out, and I didn't touch the harness until I had it in my truck. I got it running in my truck than cut one wire at a time maybe two then started it up. I would start it after each cut I made. After I had it thinned out I took the three different sections laid them on the floor and taped them up. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a harness and it will look as good if you put your time into it. You don't want to just start cutting. I made that mistake. Don't think the wires go somewhere--trace them.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 74 LS1 C10
You didn't say if you had the engine running or not. I thinned my own down, but I had bought a whole 98 Camaro total. The engine ran before I took it out, and I didn't touch the harness until I had it in my truck. I got it running in my truck than cut one wire at a time maybe two then started it up. I would start it after each cut I made. After I had it thinned out I took the three different sections laid them on the floor and taped them up. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a harness and it will look as good if you put your time into it. You don't want to just start cutting. I made that mistake. Don't think the wires go somewhere--trace them.
already sent the harness to speartech. This is one side of the project that I feel comfortable leaving to the experts to handle.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

i built mine it wasnt to bad. i deleated all the emission stuff and evap stuff. now all i havt to wire is the tranny. BTW IM LOOKIN FOR A 4L60E TRANS
Old 01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by exodus
If there is anyone here who has rewired an ls1 harness that is willing to share some info, please help. I have been wanting to go the speartech route, but money just will not allow it, and I really need to get this thing on the road. If I can do it for now atleast to get it on the road, and then get it to speartech later, I would like to. The only thing is that I know I will need some help here. So I turn to you all for that as I always have in the past.

Chris
You guys can take this or not as you see fit and Im not getting into a flame war with anybody or anything, BUT..... Just go buy a GM Service Manual for the "donor" car and sit down and figure it out! Lots of these simple "4 wire hookups" dont run right and never will most likely due to the fact that you cant tie 5 or 6 or more Ignition leads to one single fused lead and still get the full amperage to each circuit! And putting one big fuse to supposedly protect it that way isnt right since its gonna be hard to diagnose if and when the fuse starts blowing. Ive been doing EFI swaps for quite a while now and it never ceases to amaze me that people will spend literally 100s of $$$ for some crappy 1/2 function harness but they wont spend $100 for the Service Manual to use what they already own. Unless youre deleting emissions stuff there isnt really anything else to do to the engine harness as contrary to popular belief, there just arent any "extra" wires in it! To do these properly with ALL functions intact you will actually need the front harness from the donor car and then go thru it removing the headlites, park lights, horns, etc, etc, etc. The MAF power, cooling fans,AC relays, etc are all in the front harness just sitting there nice and properly fused waiting to be used! About every year is different in some way so thats why you need the proper year manual to do these. I usually do these to the point that the VATS still functions, all the AC sensors are in place, etc. And before everybody starts flaming me as the "newbie" who doesnt know, Im the "Crazy Bill" that John B had to call when his LS1 Monte wouldnt start or run way back when he first did the swap. The majority of the TPI and LT1 swaps Ive done so far are out running around in the So Cal area and they sailed right thru the BAR inspections and are just as reliable and trouble free as a factory done car. I wont tell the story about modded harnesses here on the site as it would cause some bad blood but if anybody wants to know, they can e mail me at crazyb624@aol.com and I will be more than happy to explain it in "brief" terms. Bill

Quick Reply: Thinking about doin the harness for my project myself.