Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY carbed ls1s, wiring ???s

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANY carbed ls1s, wiring ???s

Need to find out how to wire up the stock 5.3 alternator...
Anyone done the swap to a carbed setup, and have to wire up the alt?

TIA
Old 09-18-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
I know I cant be the only guy to run the new edelbrock intake...
Old 09-18-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

I am going to run it but i am using my mustang alt. for mine
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 89lx-ls1
I am going to run it but i am using my mustang alt. for mine
How are you spacing it out?
Which accersories are you using?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
Need to find out how to wire up the stock 5.3 alternator...
Anyone done the swap to a carbed setup, and have to wire up the alt?

TIA
I was starting to think about the same thing, i just recently changed from going with the stock FI to using a carb. I've got a custom harness to run the FI, but thats not going to help me now. I was going to give Jared at currentperformance.com a call, he made the harness for me, and try to get him to either just make up a small harness for the starter and alternator....or just tell me about that one freakin brown wire its got going to it, and what the heck it does. Im using the vette alternator, don't think it would be any different from the rest of them except for the mounting points. All mine has going to it is the power output and one brown wire in the 4 pin plug.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1S10
I was starting to think about the same thing, i just recently changed from going with the stock FI to using a carb. I've got a custom harness to run the FI, but thats not going to help me now. I was going to give Jared at currentperformance.com a call, he made the harness for me, and try to get him to either just make up a small harness for the starter and alternator....or just tell me about that one freakin brown wire its got going to it, and what the heck it does. Im using the vette alternator, don't think it would be any different from the rest of them except for the mounting points. All mine has going to it is the power output and one brown wire in the 4 pin plug.
Hmmm
Thanks
I guess I try to hunt down a wiring diagram, figure out which connector goes where....
Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
Hmmm
Thanks
I guess I try to hunt down a wiring diagram, figure out which connector goes where....
I talked to Jared today, im not sure if any of the other alternators are different as far as the 4 pin connector goes. But he told me that the brown wire on the LS1 vette alternator was the excitor wire and could be wired into any switched ignition source with a 470 ohm resistor inline, and the alternator would function like normal. Only thing left to do would be running the output to the battery.

Luckily on my 96 S10 the resistor for the excitor wire was pre-wired in the dash...so all i gotta do is tap into the firewall pin-out and im set. I can find out which particular pin-out on the alternator is the excitor wire tomorrow if someone needs specifics.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So would this be the single red wire (20 gage or so) on the '98 LS1 alternators?? Just a 470 ohm resistor in line with a switched 12v??? I'm having issues with mine... just got it running and it won't charge.

thanks!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTA91
So would this be the single red wire (20 gage or so) on the '98 LS1 alternators?? Just a 470 ohm resistor in line with a switched 12v??? I'm having issues with mine... just got it running and it won't charge.

thanks!
it should be the one wire in the 4 PIN connector on the alt. can't remember the PIN position either B or C, looking from the rear of the alternator at the PIN's its the 2nd from the right. But yeah, the 470 ohm resistor on a 12v switched and it should work flawlessly. BTW on late model S10 trucks the connectors are the same for the alt. you just gotta plug it up atleast thats how it is on my 96.

BTW i know this is about a month old, but my internet crapped out on me and im just now catching up on posts.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Actually it is the B pin and if you are looking at the alternater from the rear with the pins facing up it reads left to right. I just hooked mine up 3 days ago and it charges at 14 volts. Without the wire it read 12.5 volts which was the battery voltage. And no, you are not the only one running a carb on their LS1...so far I love it.