GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine

http://207.127.219.37/scc.htm

i love how they rip on the rotary
this months Sport Compact Car. they have their contest Ultimate Street Car Challenge. next month's issue contains the results from their contest.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, thats some great press for hinson and all v8rx7 swappers!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

schaaaaaaa wweeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love the title, "Beauty and the *****".
Old 09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

yea I cant wait to have mine going its killing me not having a wiring diamgram it will be here soon!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

That is awesome and he claims about 430 rwhp after reading his mods list its gotta be a lot more than that maybe close to 500rwhp talk about bolt ons and then some NOS and hes gone Im gonna go pick this mag up and the next one 2 thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

its tempting to sell the T/A to do a RX7/LS1. when i was lookin for cars b4 i got mine, i looked at RX7s, but steered clear cause of the crappy reliability of the rotary. i also knew about the LS1. its nice to see some recognition for some of the things like that
Old 09-24-2005, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

i'll be his competition next year.. in a four dour and a lot more power...(Subaru WRX with LS1/T-56 swap)
Old 09-25-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the car. I built the entire car myself in a 1 car garage with some basic handtools and a hell of a lot of determination. It was a total basketcase when I got it with thrashed interior and nasty engine bay. I was only assisted on the electrical portion by a good friend (Mas280 on here with an LS1/FD also). I have done 2 Buick GN/RX-7's conversions before so I wasn't a total newbie. Most of the parts on the car were purchased in used condition and jumping on deals when they arose mainly on the internet forums.

I literally got it running with 3 weeks to spare before the event. With another few months to clean up the interior, put in a stereo, roll bar, get the a/c hooked up, and have it repainted I'm sure the car would've done better in the other testing.

It felt like David vs. Goliath at first glance at my fellow competitors! We (Mas280 and I) showed up with an $800 open trailer and box full of tools in the bed of his truck and others showed up in $500K race trailers with full lifts, onboard welder, a crew of mechanics etc. I little intimidating initially but I should've expected it.

There were some incredible cars there with ludicrous amounts of money in them. 90% of them had flawless paint and interiors and truely well done all around cars. Most were shop cars and had the best of the best of parts on them. The Skyline owner told me he had $20K in brakes/rims/tires/suspension alone! I have only a little more than that in my entire car!

I was really stoked to be in the competition and the crew from Sport Compact Car Magazine did an excellent job hosting the event and were totally cool guys/gearheads as well. They put on 3 great days of testing and it was IMO the best magazine challenge out there measuring all aspects of a performance street car. Not just drag racing as most magazines do.

Next month will have the results fromt he challenge. My main goal was to do well in the performance testing which I'm happy with my results. I drive it to work every day 60 miles+ roundtrip and absolutely love the conversion. Even after having it running for about 6 months now I still get giddy starting it up in the morning.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics... but my high resolution pics are a PITA to resize and put on here. I can't show any other pics from the event until the final issue comes out.

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine-ls1fdfront.jpg   GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine-fdfront.jpg   GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine-fdls1me.jpg  

Last edited by gnx7; 09-25-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Props to you and your accomplishments gnx7.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

Amazing skid pad #'s in your sig. Awesome car--I just got that issue yesterday.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Just got the magazine, awesome job. 'ultimate street car' seems a bit of a stretch though with most of the cars shown.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

incredible car. read the mag a few days ago myself
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Swapper
Just got the magazine, awesome job. 'ultimate street car' seems a bit of a stretch though with most of the cars shown.
why..what would your be?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnx7
Thanks for the compliments on the car. I built the entire car myself in a 1 car garage with some basic handtools and a hell of a lot of determination. It was a total basketcase when I got it with thrashed interior and nasty engine bay. I was only assisted on the electrical portion by a good friend (Mas280 on here with an LS1/FD also). I have done 2 Buick GN/RX-7's conversions before so I wasn't a total newbie. Most of the parts on the car were purchased in used condition and jumping on deals when they arose mainly on the internet forums.

I literally got it running with 3 weeks to spare before the event. With another few months to clean up the interior, put in a stereo, roll bar, get the a/c hooked up, and have it repainted I'm sure the car would've done better in the other testing.

It felt like David vs. Goliath at first glance at my fellow competitors! We (Mas280 and I) showed up with an $800 open trailer and box full of tools in the bed of his truck and others showed up in $500K race trailers with full lifts, onboard welder, a crew of mechanics etc. I little intimidating initially but I should've expected it.

There were some incredible cars there with ludicrous amounts of money in them. 90% of them had flawless paint and interiors and truely well done all around cars. Most were shop cars and had the best of the best of parts on them. The Skyline owner told me he had $20K in brakes/rims/tires/suspension alone! I have only a little more than that in my entire car!

I was really stoked to be in the competition and the crew from Sport Compact Car Magazine did an excellent job hosting the event and were totally cool guys/gearheads as well. They put on 3 great days of testing and it was IMO the best magazine challenge out there measuring all aspects of a performance street car. Not just drag racing as most magazines do.

Next month will have the results fromt he challenge. My main goal was to do well in the performance testing which I'm happy with my results. I drive it to work every day 60 miles+ roundtrip and absolutely love the conversion. Even after having it running for about 6 months now I still get giddy starting it up in the morning.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics... but my high resolution pics are a PITA to resize and put on here. I can't show any other pics from the event until the final issue comes out.

Cheers,

Mark
damn..you have one of the most beautiful fds...very simple and really nice wheels.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw the article and was thinking "eh 3 rotor probably or one hellavah big turbo". Then I saw LS1 and crapped and then I had to read the whole article on just the RX7 lol. I have to go buy it now. I think they should add "net worth" into the judging, nothing beats doing it yourself. Even though you just got it running 3 weeks before hand, it still looked like a very clean car. Good Job!
-Alex
Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Launching!

impressive!!

now I really want to do the ls1/rx7 swap!!! except mine will be in an FC.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:22 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats I read the article and I cant wait for next months, its my favorite issue every year
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RynoDyno312
Amazing skid pad #'s in your sig.
The DOT R-Compound tires probably helped that a wee bit...but definitely still an impressive car, none the less!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

All the cars were on R compound tires. We weren't allowed to run Avon or Hoosiers.... or else I'm sure most of the people would've. I actually have 4K+ street miles on these tires and have pulled some impressive lap times at Thunderhill and Infineon road race courses out here in NorCal. The MichPSCups are a true race tire that is totally streetable and wears well.

I'm surprised a supercharged/turbo Viper or an Ultima didn't show up.... but that was last years issue. A buddy's 400rwhp ForcedFed shop car Lotus Elise was supposed to be in the contest... but was backed into by a huge moving truck and killed the rear half of the car a few weeks before. I takes 60-90 days to get a new rear clip.... so they were out.

Thanks for the props... can't wait until next months issue either.

-Mark

Quick Reply: GNX7's RX7 w/LS1 in SCC magazine