Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supradupra!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005 | 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

these kind of arguments are so completetly pointless because all the 'fastest of the fast' relates directly to is the size of the aftermarket for that car and to the length of time it has been around
Old 10-13-2005 | 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

exactly the 2jz-gtte has been around how long?? like 12 years?? the LS1 has "only" been here for 8. oh and the casper camaro has 1900hp and it's 6.8x pass was on 7 cylinders. expect too see very low sixes or even 5's soon from that car. the chisis is borrowed though so i dont know how long it'll be around.
Old 10-13-2005 | 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

And your point?
Old 10-13-2005 | 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

there is no replacement for displacement, unless its FI

boost same PSI on a motor with 50 more ccs and it will produce more hp than the one that is 50ccs less.

i thought even the import guys understood displacement. i mean they make I4 and I6 stroker kits..
Old 10-13-2005 | 02:25 PM
Launching!

Well since atmospheric pressure is about 14.7psi, then for every 14-15psi of boost on say a 350ci, wouldn't that effectively be the same as a motor with about 700ci?
Old 10-13-2005 | 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flatlander757
Well since atmospheric pressure is about 14.7psi, then for every 14-15psi of boost on say a 350ci, wouldn't that effectively be the same as a motor with about 700ci?
Pretty close.
Old 10-13-2005 | 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cop Car
boost same PSI on a motor with 50 more ccs and it will produce more hp than the one that is 50ccs less.

You are wrong there... Take a 350 cu in Chevrolet vs. a 183 cu in Toyota, put a 76GTS on each of them, the larger engine will only make positive boost sooner but they will both make the same power.

Ultimate power of a turbocharged engine is dictated by the amount of air the turbocharger is capable of flowing and not by the size of the engine.
Old 10-13-2005 | 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

People are making the same hp with 183 cid motors as 350 cid motors all running the same turbocharger. The turbocharger selection and boost level seem to affect power much more than displacement due to the backpressure characteristics.
Old 10-13-2005 | 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Do it.
Old 10-13-2005 | 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Yea i vote for do it as well. Even though a 2jz engine would be a cheaper swap and would provide amazing numbers as it has in all supras, I would love to see an LSX engine in a supra merely for the wow factor and to see if it can be done.
Old 10-13-2005 | 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SleeperSupra
People are making the same hp with 183 cid motors as 350 cid motors all running the same turbocharger. The turbocharger selection and boost level seem to affect power much more than displacement due to the backpressure characteristics.
if im not mistaken if they both had cams, heads and intakes that flowed the same CFM per cyl that the more cube motor will produce better results.

and with the same turbo and boost level the higher cc motor will make more hp

there is no replacement for displacement
Old 10-13-2005 | 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

You are wrong.
Old 10-13-2005 | 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

On one hand your wasting your time with the supra chassis (9's with 1000hp). on the other hand the LSX engine combo will blow the 2Gayz away. It's all about cubic dollars but we're not talking about 6'S this is real world. How many cars run nines that you ran against? Not many. Thats my point. You can run Nines in the supra chassis a lot easier with the LSX than the aint six, put a turbo on the 8 to level the playing field and it's a done deal. Anyway, your in LS1TECH.com and in the conversion section so I say do it already! Throw that six in the trash.
Old 10-13-2005 | 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

How about this? who gives a ****, and lets see the car when hes done doing his swap and see how it turns out. As far as I know a blownbigcube Big block(TOPFUEL) owns everything when it comes to drag racing.

There are to many opinions, And people sharing crappy information. I think the thread starter just wanted to see a pissing match . But thats just me
Old 10-14-2005 | 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

You are wrong there... Take a 350 cu in Chevrolet vs. a 183 cu in Toyota, put a 76GTS on each of them, the larger engine will only make positive boost sooner but they will both make the same power.

Ultimate power of a turbocharged engine is dictated by the amount of air the turbocharger is capable of flowing and not by the size of the engine.
what the F*** soooo lets say you are running 30psi of boost in your 3.0L 2jz then you get a stroker kit that bumps you to 3.4L and run the same 30ps this wont increase your power output any?? that is bullcrap!! top fuels run 500ci as per the rules, if the rules allowed more trust me all the teams would run more. an engine is an air pump (everyone has heard this) so the more air you move the more power you make (everyone's heard this also) but your saying you'll make the same power with a smaller engine than a larger one. you are seriously disturbed. SleeperSupra
Old 10-14-2005 | 01:24 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Old 10-14-2005 | 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Yea thats what I was thinking. I am no turbo guru by any means nor do I claim to be, but if CI doesnt matter when it comes to power then your saying I could take any well built engine, 2,4,6,8,10 cylinders and put the same turbo on and they will all make the same power? that doesnt sound right but thats just me...i guess i dont know enough about turbos
Old 10-14-2005 | 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xbadfishx17x
what the F*** soooo lets say you are running 30psi of boost in your 3.0L 2jz then you get a stroker kit that bumps you to 3.4L and run the same 30ps this wont increase your power output any?? that is bullcrap!! top fuels run 500ci as per the rules, if the rules allowed more trust me all the teams would run more. an engine is an air pump (everyone has heard this) so the more air you move the more power you make (everyone's heard this also) but your saying you'll make the same power with a smaller engine than a larger one. you are seriously disturbed. SleeperSupra
No you will NOT increase your peak power output going to a 3.4 liter stroker kit if the turbochargers flow is maxed out. You will only increase spool and power under the curve. If you have a larger turbocharger you will get more power out of it.

You are right that an engine is an air pump but the turbocharger is now the one doing the pumping. Engine power is proportional to the amount of air and fuel that can get into the cylinders. If we want our small engine to perform like a big engine, or simply make our bigger engine produce more power, our ultimate objective is to draw more air into the cylinder. Generally speaking a larger engine will have the potential to make more power as long as it's breathing is not limited by the size of the turbocharger.

Ultimate power of a turbocharged engine is dictated by the amount of air the turbocharger is capable of flowing and not by the size of the engine. If I can cram 2000 cfm in an exgine and X amount of fuel the engine will make XXX power. It doesn't matter if the air and fuel are in a 183 cu in engine or a 500 cu in engine the engine will still make XXX power.
Old 10-14-2005 | 10:30 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

This is very true i think the point is that a 183 cu engine is never gonna handle a 1671 blower like a Top Fuel motor will (the blowers may be even bigger than this not sure). What i mean is a larger displacement engine is going to handle more cfm of air because eventually it becomes impossible to cram a certain amount of air or boost into a engine. If i am thinking correctly in theory a NA 500 cubic inch engine could flow the same cfm of air as a turboed 183 engine. It would do this because their is much more room for the air to go to. So with this in mind to maintain 30 pounds of boost on a 500 cubic inch engine would you not be flowing much much more air compared to a 183 cubic inch engine that is maintaining the same 30 pounds of boost because their is less space to be filled?
Old 10-14-2005 | 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

No you will NOT increase your peak power output going to a 3.4 liter stroker kit if the turbochargers flow is maxed out. You will only increase spool and power under the curve. If you have a larger turbocharger you will get more power out of it.

You are right that an engine is an air pump but the turbocharger is now the one doing the pumping. Engine power is proportional to the amount of air and fuel that can get into the cylinders. If we want our small engine to perform like a big engine, or simply make our bigger engine produce more power, our ultimate objective is to draw more air into the cylinder. Generally speaking a larger engine will have the potential to make more power as long as it's breathing is not limited by the size of the turbocharger.

Ultimate power of a turbocharged engine is dictated by the amount of air the turbocharger is capable of flowing and not by the size of the engine. If I can cram 2000 cfm in an exgine and X amount of fuel the engine will make XXX power. It doesn't matter if the air and fuel are in a 183 cu in engine or a 500 cu in engine the engine will still make XXX power.
Ok I see what your saying, your not talking about a 183 seeing say 30 pounds of boost and a 350 seeing 30 pounds of boost as a 350 would need a larger turbo and need to force in more air to see those boost levels. So with your example, if say you are pushing in 2000 cfm into the 2JZ, and say that equated to 30 pounds of boost, then the same 2000 cfm into the LS1 might only be say 20 pounds of boost and that if you had the same turbo forcing in the same amount of air that they would make similar power. So does that mean the 6 cylinder would be taking advanatage of higher CR with the boost to make the same HP levels while the 350 would see a lower CR due to the increased CI and would lead to them equaling out in HP?

Quick Reply: Supradupra!