Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will epoxy survive inside a fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will epoxy survive inside a fuel tank.

For instance you have you 3/8 fuel line coming through the side of tank if you epoxy around this will it hold or would the fuel eat through it.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not likely. Unless it says in big bold print on the label that it can I wouldn't trust it.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1chevy2
For instance you have you 3/8 fuel line coming through the side of tank if you epoxy around this will it hold or would the fuel eat through it.
If its steel, get it welded up.

If youre talking about a rubber hose, get taht hose out of there and do it right.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

steel hose going into an aluminium tank for the press on fitting coming of the the stock 04 GTO fuel pump.

since I can't weld steel to aluminium do you think I could sauder this connection
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

You can't "solder" steel to aluminum either. Or much of anything else.

And even if you could, galvanic corrosion would be a nightmare. The steel would rust, extremely quickly.

Basically, it boils down to you need aluminum fittings, even if you have to make your own.

Some side questions:
What alloy aluminum did you use? Because there are several that are ok for gas tanks (like 5052) but some that aren't so good.
Do you plan on running any alcohol in this tank?
What kind of finish (if any)?
Have you thought about having the whole tank hard anodized?

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

5052-H32

since gasoline has alcohol in it which kind of alcohol were you refering to.

Just pump gas Methonal/alcohol unless the locals start selling a mixture of "ethonal/alcohol".

The steel would be caused to rust faster and the Aluminium would last longer due to it robbing the steel I was told you needed water in the equation for this to happen.

Just found out 99 percent of epoxies are fuel proof.

No finish planned yet.

www.geocities.com/ls1chevy2
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel proof? I'd still never glue a fuel line. That's just asking for trouble.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

You would be surprised to see what is plasitic on todays cars.

The current idea is to weld a 1/2" thick 1" by 1" piece of Alum to the top side of the tank drill a 3/8 hole through it then push the 3/8" tubing through and epoxy the outside. The epoxy may never even get a drop of gas on it since it will be on the top of the tank and be such a tight fit,

I wasn't going to just epoxy it to the 1/8 " sheet at the bottom the first bump it would probably come loose.

You won't be able to see the epoxy because of the tight fit
Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have to glue something onto the gas tank I would use the fuel tank epoxy. It is made to repair fuel tanks and radiators. Autozone or any of the chain stores have it, the stuff I bought was made by permatex and is like a clay. You unwrap it and knead it to mix until it is a grey color. It held below the fuel level on my rusty old tank for 2 years and didn`t leak.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Good choice on 5052-h32.

Question about alcohol was directed towards high percentages (more than the 10% they use in currently in winter blends and such). Don't really want to be in the "wonderful world of corrosion", do we....

Just trying to think outside the box, but is there a bulkhead type compression tube fitting that you could use. You're looking to have the tube come from the pump up to the outside world without having a seam / joint, correct?

Personally, I'm with the rest of these guys, epoxy on the fuel tank makes me a little nervous. Nevermind the fact that most fuel tanks these days are plastic and all, just makes me a little leary.... But hey, its your vehicle.... And your wienie roast if it doesn't go right. I hope it goes right!

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

there is plenty of epoxies and sealants that are fuel worthy. We use them to seal wet wing fuel tanks on airplanes. Your best bet though will be a "bulkhead" An fitting with teflon seal washer on either side. Then connect your hoses like normal to each side.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1chevy2
The current idea is to weld a 1/2" thick 1" by 1" piece of Alum to the top side of the tank drill a 3/8 hole through it then push the 3/8" tubing through and epoxy the outside. The epoxy may never even get a drop of gas on it since it will be on the top of the tank and be such a tight fit,

I wasn't going to just epoxy it to the 1/8 " sheet at the bottom the first bump it would probably come loose.

You won't be able to see the epoxy because of the tight fit
ive got a suggestion...weld your plate, but instead of friction holding it on, try tapping some threads in there and get a compression fitting that will hold your gas line...maybe throw some 90* bends in there to clear the frame...

where is this tank being located?

Quick Reply: will epoxy survive inside a fuel tank.