Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 T56 in a SEC gen Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 T56 in a SEC gen Camaro...

Hello, Im in the middle of doing a T56 swap in my 78 Camaro. I bought a crossmember from brphotrods and it was a Piece o crap' .... Im in Saudi and have no way to mess with it. I need to know if anyone knows where ( or who) I can buy one that will eliminate my headaches. I would so love to drive my car when I got back. Thanks so much.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi badazz81z28, I remember reading your endevours with that crossmember from the nastyz forums. I was about to buy that same crossmember for my 71 but I might have to go a different way. For now I have decided to mod the th350 crossmember I have. I talked to madmike and one other guy on the forum and they have both done this and it has worked fine. It is cheap to. All you need is to turn the crossmember around 180 degrees, cut off the mount flange and weld it on in the right position. Offcourse you have to have determined the right position the trans should be in to get the correct pinion angle. Check this out this link.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825759/1

BTW, what exactly was wrong with the crossmember you bought from Brp?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunatly Im out of the country and cant mod mine nor do I have a welder. The crossmember I bought from BRP for one had the mounting tab dead in the center. I had to move it to the pass a bit. Second since I had to move the tab and the crossmember is "V" like the crossemebr cant move forward enought to sit on the frame.Im totally dissapointed. I have contacted him and he swears that something is wrong with my car. I must have the only Camaro that has the drivetrain offset to the pass side. (not really) I need a good source for someone to make one for me or a company that sells one. Thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been looking around for the past 6 months without much success. I don't know of anyone making them for second gens. Try contact Tee Toe Jones. He is a member here and owns ATS which makes ls1/t56 swap kits for camaros. Currently he has kits for 1st gen camaros but he had mentioned developing a crossmember for 2nd gens. I don't know how far he has come with that.
Go to this link and you will see some posts he has left and you can PM him or email him.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/422084-pictures-ats-engine-mounting-brackets.html

I also cannot weld or fabricate for that matter. I am just going to support the trans in the final location its going to be, mount the crossmember then mark on it where the flange needs to be welded on. I know this is going to be tricky but if I go wrong, finding another Th350 Xmember is easy or I can just repeat the process.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I have been watching ATS for some time now. I wonder how long it will be until he has something. Check out his website and everything he adverises is "currently not avaialble"
Old 12-24-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

almost forgot......try Keisler. I know for sure they have a kit that might help you. Thing is they sell the trans and everything else you need as a complete kit. You might want to call them and see if they can sell you just the crossmember.
www.keislerauto.com
Old 12-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What causes a lot of crossmember problems in the 2nd Gen Fs is that 70 thru 74 used one crossmember and the crossmember was basically turned 180 with the advent of cat convs in 75. There are actually 3 different crossmembers for the 70 thru 81s, one is a 70-74 T-400, the other 70-74 fits everything except a T-400 and then all the 75 and laters are the same since no 75 or later ever had a T-400. All the cars had a small motor offset to the pass side but when you try to put a 70-74 into a 75 up, it winds up installed "backwards" which moves the mounting tab to the drivers side. HTHs...... Bill
Old 12-26-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

bump ttt

Quick Reply: LS1 T56 in a SEC gen Camaro...