Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car

Hi all first post here anyway I have a 67 Camaro that I have put a 4th gen dash as well as Ls1/t56 in I have the complete body harness and engine harness from a 98 F-Car that I would like to use so that I take advantage of all the factory forth gen systems excluding the ABS, Air Bags and HVAC controls the car has gen II compact V/A setup already. The only component for the wiring that I am missing is the under the hood body harness. Looking for one if any one has one for sale

So here are my questions does any one know were I can locate a diagram that will allow me to identify what the all these plugs go to The harness are uncut, but I did not remove them from the car so I don’t know what anything is, some things are obvious but when it comes to the back part of the harness I have know Idea. The door harness has so many wires I just have know Idea. Unfortunately I don’t know any one with 4th gen car or I would be able to look at it and figure things out. Hopefully you guys can help me I identify some of these plugs. Maybe I can start posting pictures of the various plugs and you guys who have experience with these cars can help me figure it out

Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I used it, tagged everything as I pulled it out of the car, and still got confused. You're really going to need a service manual for the year body harness you have. Even if someone could tell you what everything went to, you're not going to know how the system worked as a whole.

Your probably going to need to get a 98 front harness too, to not have to re-pin items, plus it will need to match the inside harness for bird/camaro. Mines in a third-gen, which has enough things similar to make it worth my while. With your 67, you'd probably spend more time trying to change things out to use new wiring then you would just buying something aftermarket that accomplishes the same thing.

Kevin D.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

I have a deal going on getting the under hood harness right now I understand that I need the under hood harness to make this work. I think you are missing the reason of why I want to do this. I want have everything work like it did in a 4th gen. I don’t really know how you would make the gages and service indicators work with an aftermarket kit I have been told all that stuff is run by the BCM.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm doing the exact thing with my 91 Z28...I have every inch of wire from a 2001 Z28 and almost everything is labeled. But like shr00m-dew said, its still a pain. A service manual IS the way to go. My advice...lay everything down on the garage floor and spread it all out. Then plug everyhting in as if it was in the car. At least that way you get a better idea of what everything is and does. I'm in the process of cutting out all the wires that aren't going to be used...big pain. Good luck
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

What service manual would you suggest?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

factory gm. Either order from gm or helminc.com. I lucked out and got mine off fleabay for about $120. It's 3 books total and stacked on top of each other measure about 5 inches thick. GOOD STUFF!!! Makes haynes and chilton look like toilet paper!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Teching In

My buddy has ALLDATA at his shop do you think this would have any of or most the info that I need.

I will look into getting the factory books
Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should...alldata is nice software. But the books are easier to work with. It's kinda hard to find all the info on alldata...but it is there, just a pain.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Do the books have Part numbers I wonder what type of price gm parts direct has on them so long as they don’t charge you double the price of them for shipping

I know what you mean about alldata can be cumbersome and difficult to navigate.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

service manual has some part numbers...mostly for pigtails and connectors.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

id like to see pics of that dash in the car

dave
Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going the exact OPPOSITE direction - which I don't recommend to those who have difficulty thinking through large piles of wire with no instruction sheet The nice thing with the newer GM harnesses, is they're very logically laid out. If you get access to the diagrams, it actually becomes pretty simple.

I wanted to lighten up the mess behind my dash, and clean up the hack work this car had from being a cop car. Many of my connectors are literally crumbling in my hands as I pull 'em apart. I figure my new custom-built harness will be at least 20 lbs. lighter too
Old 03-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Here are some of the dash and one of the outside.
Attached Thumbnails Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car-dcp_0030.jpg   Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car-dcp_0032.jpg   Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car-dcp_0033.jpg   Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car-dcp_0021.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Restricted User

All my wiring is from 99 Z

Dale

More Info & pics
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35790
Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

man that is sick. i have a 1970 bird but have wanted to find a first gen body in decent shape to do that with. i like the idea of sitting in a new car with modern ride and performance and stepping out of an old one. for years i have wanted to do what you guys did with the dashes i might be trading my 1970 with the 400 and muncie for a 68 firebird with no motor or tranny. if that happens i will definitely be getting a wrecked trans am to start the transplant. if i keep the 1970 which i have had for 8 years now i am up in the air cause my motor and only have 5000 miles on them we'll see but both of those cars are exactly what i would want to do if money was not an issue.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

how much cutting and chopping had to be done with the first gen for the dash and air to fit
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Buy the Helms manual set they are the same ones the dealer uses and are worth every penny. I used a stock harness for my conversion and could not have done it without them.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Teching In

The width is perfect To put the dash in a first gen you will need to totally remove the original dash but after that you just need to make some brackets to mount it to. I am using an after market air conditioner.

Iv got and under hood harness and manuals coming from Helminc.com
I used to be a EE major so I think I will be able to get this working once I have all the components.

Since I am not familiar with 4th gens I think I am missing a harness. I currently have engine harness and computer, body harness, BCM and Air bag module. There are also so other modules that are hooked to the harness that I have not identified yet. Also Have a harness that goes from battery to starter and alternator, as well as the under hood body harness. Is there a tail light harness because I have no light bulb plugs on the main body harness?

Quick Reply: Using complete 4th gen body harness in a different car