Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compress options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A/C compress options?

I got a 2001 Voretec 5.3 in a 73 Scout II and I am trying to get the A/C up and running. I have the stock 5.3 truck compressor mounted in the stock location and it's tight the problem is the A/C lines will not hook up with out being in the way of the exhaust or engine mount.

Are there any options as far as a universal A/C lines to hook up to the stock truck A/C compressor. The A/C line I got of the donor truck doesn't fit at all. Would the lines or compressor of an vette or F-body work some how? I need A/C! I have seen the high mount stuff but the compressor fits so I would like to keep it in the stock place just get some kind of A/C line that will work.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can adapt the lines over to stainless braided if you like, by tapping the block that bolts to the compressor and using O-ring NPT to pipe adapters. I'm thinking about doing that on my LS1 Mustang project if I can't get the factory lines to reach (looks to be way too short for the really long Mustang engine bay).
Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try giving these guys a call; HotRod Air They've always been very helpful.
http://www.hotrodair.com/
Andy1
Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Default A possible source

I came across this site: http://www.rayeveritt.com/

Prices seemed very reasonable, but I have no first hand experience. I haven't gotten that far...

Pete
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

I had clearance problems my LS2 in a 65 Corvette, and ended up using a F-body compressor. The F-body comperssor has a rear exit, and has hard lines that tuck in tightly to the body of the compressor. One line runs underneath the compressor, and one runs on top. Here is a pic:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0001348.jpg

You will notice that I had to trim the edge of the motor mount a little, and I had to trim the back of the compressor bracket to clear as well. This sure beats having to go to a set of custom brackets and compressor like I had to do on the LS1 in my 59 Corvette. Also, the F-body compressor is smaller in diameter than the LS2 compressor, although it has a smaller pulley, which means it turns at slightly higher RPM.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I had clearance problems my LS2 in a 65 Corvette, and ended up using a F-body compressor. The F-body comperssor has a rear exit, and has hard lines that tuck in tightly to the body of the compressor. One line runs underneath the compressor, and one runs on top. Here is a pic:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0001348.jpg

You will notice that I had to trim the edge of the motor mount a little, and I had to trim the back of the compressor bracket to clear as well. This sure beats having to go to a set of custom brackets and compressor like I had to do on the LS1 in my 59 Corvette. Also, the F-body compressor is smaller in diameter than the LS2 compressor, although it has a smaller pulley, which means it turns at slightly higher RPM.

Regards, John McGraw
Looks like just what I need! Will the F-body compressor fit the stock truck compressor mount or does it need its own mount bracket. And will the thing line up and engauge the crank pully correctlly? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Same mount, and everything lines up.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Same mount, and everything lines up.
Sweet! Now all I have to do get one! Thanks, I was worried I would have to move the engine!

Oh, F-body P/N on A/C compressor and lines?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bo185
Sweet! Now all I have to do get one! Thanks, I was worried I would have to move the engine!

Oh, F-body P/N on A/C compressor and lines?
I have one! I have a practically new 2002 Camaro LS1 (1400 miles) compressor with all the fittings off the engine I used in my Corvette. e-mail me at mark2000ss@comcast.net

Last edited by Mark IXZD 150; 03-31-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C compress options?