Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can for pcv -oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006 | 11:26 AM
Launching!

Default catch can for pcv -oil in intake

Any one experience the oil in the throttle body and intake tract yet?I just pulled my intake to paint it silver and already got oil in it.I know its a common problem with ls1's but come on i hardly put any miles yet.I started looking at catch cans and seen a few guys running air compressor filters inline.Any body using one or something different.
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I am running the Husky Air Compressor filter....as it seems many of us are. I havent gotten mine on the road yet really...only test n tune time...but I made that decision based on my research and it came up to be the best bang for the buck for my likes. So that is one route to go.

Josh-
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks josh just the info im looking for,guess im heading to home depot tonight.
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:44 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

AMW makes a nice catch can setup... sponsor to the right. I know mine worked rather well.. not sure what's going on the new motor, wether it be breathers, the catch can/pcv setup, whatever...but I know I'd never not have a catch can on the factory PCV.
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is my understanding that is you really want to fix the problem, instead of putting a "band-aid" on it with a catch can, you can convert to the LS6 PCV configuration. It also get's rid of a bunch of hoses and tubes around the engine. I did mine using the guidleines at http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18. It was not difficult, though it was a little scary taking a Dremel cutoff wheel to the inside of my lifter valley. Cost was less $100 from a list price dealership parts seller.

Pat
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:45 PM
Launching!

Pat,My brothers 04 c5 already has this done and still gets oil up in it with less then 5000 miles on it.Just makes me wonder what else can be done about it.
Pat
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:47 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Ebay has a ton of cheap catch cans for like $20.00. they all look good too, better than an air compressor filter in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2006 | 01:12 PM

It is my understanding that is you really want to fix the problem, instead of putting a "band-aid" on it with a catch can, you can convert to the LS6 PCV configuration. It also get's rid of a bunch of hoses and tubes around the engine. I did mine using the guidleines at http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18. It was not difficult, though it was a little scary taking a Dremel cutoff wheel to the inside of my lifter valley. Cost was less $100 from a list price dealership parts seller.
Unfortunately this is not true. My forged LS6 sucked oil like it was going out of style and my new LS7 also sucks oil into the intake. Better go for a catch can.
Old 04-06-2006 | 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by John B
Unfortunately this is not true. My forged LS6 sucked oil like it was going out of style and my new LS7 also sucks oil into the intake. Better go for a catch can.
Even the ls7 too,guess im getting a catch can.
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I am sad to hear that! Guess these motors just "suck"

A catch can may be in my future too.

Pat
Old 04-06-2006 | 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

My 2000 LS1 Corvette regular production pcv system with all of it's plumbing (actually just a plastic line or two) seems to work just fine....I get no oil in the intake.....and it uses absolutely zero oil between changes (every 3000 miles). I guess I can't complain about it. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough.
Old 04-07-2006 | 01:07 PM

Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough.
There is a lot to be said for this, especially since you have an automatic trans. I must confess that due to my 4.10 gears and the incredible sound generated by the "X" pipe on my true duals that I run the RPM up high (3500 RPM range) between shifts just casually driving and this does create ring flutter and this is what causes oil to get past the rings.
Old 04-07-2006 | 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

There is a lot to be said for this, especially since you have an automatic trans. I must confess that due to my 4.10 gears and the incredible sound generated by the "X" pipe on my true duals that I run the RPM up high (3500 RPM range) between shifts just casually driving and this does create ring flutter and this is what causes oil to get past the rings.

i know GM redesigned the rings for 02, but mine is reved alot.. i tend to take it up high all the time between shifts, and i beat the **** out of it all the time, everyday..

yet ive never had to add oil between changes.. my car just doesnt use much oil. (yay!)

i think alot of that has to do with the fact that i drive it EVERYDAY.. well i did up until recently.. this last month, i stopped driving it as much.. i bought a new beater, and ive been driving that.

i'll watch my oil consumpsion, keep my driving habits, and see if how often you drive it really does make a diff....
Old 04-07-2006 | 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

I'm OLD.
Old 04-07-2006 | 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
I'm OLD.
Something we all aspire to Oscar! I'm not far behind you, maybe mine won't use oil either

Pat
Old 04-07-2006 | 05:40 PM
Launching!

I also switched and used mahle file to fit rings too in the build up.So john might be right and its ring flutter doing it.I drive like john does on and off the gas and long shifts,i love hearing the ls1 through the sidepipes and the low first gear of the 700 and 3.70 gears feels soooo good.
Old 04-10-2006 | 01:06 AM
Teching In

My 98 vette hasn't used oil, or burned it, except when going up a good long grade, if I stomped it, it smoked like crap out the tailpipes! I put the home depot air compressor fitting in line (right before intake) and it no longer smokes, even up a grade, high accel.
I reasoned that the reason mine sucked oil is that both PVC pickups are at the rear of the valve covers (so when racing, side G's one pickup won't be oil loaded) - so when going up a hill, the oil pools some at the rear of both valve covers, and it sucked oil, smoked like burning up.
Anyway, the air compressor filter worked great for me. Had it on for a couple of years, only drained the bowl a few times....
Old 04-10-2006 | 04:24 AM
Launching!

"I reasoned that the reason mine sucked oil is that both PVC pickups are at the rear of the valve covers (so when racing, side G's one pickup won't be oil loaded) - so when going up a hill, the oil pools some at the rear of both valve covers, and it sucked oil, smoked like burning up."

I think you hit on something there...what about the LS6 & 7 is the PVC there also?
Old 04-10-2006 | 06:57 AM
Launching!

My pcv is in a rubber hose at the front from the throttlebody to the front of valve cover,is anyone else's like that?
Old 04-10-2006 | 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nitrovette
My pcv is in a rubber hose at the front from the throttlebody to the front of valve cover,is anyone else's like that?

theres a couple lines.

on the rear of the drivers valve cover, you have a connector, behind the manifold, it Ys into the rear passenger side cover hose.. then that whole hose runs forward along the passenger side fuel rail, to the PCV valve, then from the valve to the manifold.
the fresh air inlet goes from the throttlebody, to the front port on the passenger side cover.

Quick Reply: catch can for pcv -oil in intake