Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever build a kit car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever build a kit car??

Just have a few questions for the guys that have done one. First, how hard is it to work with a fiberglass rebody? How do you hang the panels? Second, did you buy or build your chasis? Third, were you able to do the work yourself? Could an average guy with hand tools throw one together? And lastly, how satisfied were you when you were done? How was the quality of your kit? And what car did you build?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Launching!

I'm going to be building on here pretty soon

Fiberglass bodies are great. They're light! The only thing to keep in mind, is that while if they were in small panels like a metal body, it'd be real easy to manipulate, but most kit cars have a large portion of the body made as one big piece, which makes it a little more of a pain to move around/mount.

Make sure you go with a reputable body builder, the less bodywork/prep work required the better. I prefer to paint myself, but I have a decent amount of bodywork/paint experience.

As far as chassis... when you say build, do you mean from scratch? Teh average guy isn't going to be able to build a decent frame from scratch.
Even modifying an existing chassis isn't just a walk in the park (like doing a fiero stretch for a lambo kit), but it can be done if you can weld good and keep everything squared up.

The main assembly can be done with fairly simple tools. You'll want at least one set of extra hands to help you with some things.

What car are you thinking of building?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Well I've been considering a Brunton stalker V6 with a supercharged 3800 v6 which is basically a lotus 7 replica or I'd like to do a Velo Rossa Datsun Z rebody with an LS1. I'm leaning more towards the brunton since parts are cheap and I have alot of experience with the 3800 v6's all ready. And if they weren't so damn expensive I would definately build a daytona coupe in a heart beat!!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever build a kit car??-gto.jpg   Anyone ever build a kit car??-daytona.jpg   Anyone ever build a kit car??-ss.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lOOK at the factory five stuff. My buddy just completed a cobra. He bought the kit for $12,000 and a donor mustang 5.0 car for two grand. I Just saw it a week or so ago.......man what a cool kit. The donor car supplied everything, i mean every thing needed to complete it. Of course there are upgrades you can do to it, but looking at what i am building in a muscle car.....i have way more money in it, and no way is my car gonna have that cool factor. Honestly, if i was going to do another car, and could have sat down and thought it through better, i would do the cobra, or the daytona coupe. mj
Old 04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Factory Five seems to have some amazing stuff.......would luv to do a Cobra replica but I wanna use an LSx based motor (which I heard they can accept) but that will cost a LOT more since I don't think the Cobras can use anything BUT a Mustang for a donor car.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Launching!

That's awesome!

It's alot of fun if you're the right kind of person. In other words... if you'll actually complete it someday.

I'm building one of these soon hopefully

Hey check out FFR's Type 65 coupe and the Cobras.
If I wasn't so obsessed with the GTM I'd probably be building one of the others
Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah ^^^^ that uses LS series engine with a Porsche transaxle
Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant buy a gtm until u buy a cobra

Dave
Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Dave

Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Dave
Did you seriously misunderstand what the website said?

"As of Monday July 25, 2005 anyone can place an order, but orders received from FFR customers during the first week will get priority in scheduling, up to the first 200 kits. "

In the FIRST WEEK. Up to the FIRST 200 KITS.

That means if in the first week they got 200 orders, and 30 of them were previous customers, the first 30 will go out to the previous customers.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Launching!

GTM is the deal! Best looking shape for a $35-40K exotic. Check out the two build-ups with pictures with the sking off.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb...rdset/100.html
Old 04-23-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry didnt read it. I have a FFR cobra and at the time u couldn't even think about a GTM until you had a MARK II or III. Guess they werent selling as well as they thought.?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Are they even sellin the GTM kits yet? I have a friend who was going to get one last year. He even put a down payment on it. But they never seem to want to talk with him. He would call them like every other week on when the kit would be ready and they really just beat around the bush with him. So he's now just gonna S/C his ws6 which isn't a bad idea either i think.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by youngWS6
Are they even sellin the GTM kits yet? I have a friend who was going to get one last year. He even put a down payment on it. But they never seem to want to talk with him. He would call them like every other week on when the kit would be ready and they really just beat around the bush with him. So he's now just gonna S/C his ws6 which isn't a bad idea either i think.
They started delivery as the current list waiters are expected to recieve their's this summer. That gives them time to spend about 40-50 hours to prep suspension parts and engine/transmission.

Low volume things like this you don't want to be the first. Unless your pretty hands on.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by youngWS6
A buddy of mine has one in his garage and trailer (pieces everywhere!!). Body just went out for paint and the motor is pretty much done. He got his in the middle of January, it came about 4 weeks later than expected, but he has it.

And no, he did not have to buy a Cobra first, he's a first time buyer..
Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Cobras and the GTM are cool and all but the cobras you see all the time at every car show and the GTM is just a little too exotic and too expensive for me. I want to build something nostalgic that is light and will handle like a go kart. I'd love to do an FFR Daytona Coupe but 14,990 just to get started is alot of moola. I wanna try and get what ever kit I do for 10,000 or under.(Thats just for the kit, I know I need alot extra to finish.)
Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

If you like the Daytona kit, save up a little more and get it. If ya just "make do" with another kit, ya might loose intrest. The 280Z/VellaRossa kits are around, I saw a new one, with a running donor 240Z car sell on ebay 2 months ago for $5500. It's the one that looks like a Ferrari 250 GTO , right?
I always keep an eye on ebay's kit auctions, and if ya look there are some really good deals on there!!!!!!!!Good luck!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

LOOK here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I could have sworn there was a post in here (the conversion or kit car forum) somewhere about a guy doing a GTM already.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Norm '88 GT
GTM is the deal! Best looking shape for a $35-40K exotic. Check out the two build-ups with pictures with the sking off.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb...rdset/100.html
Wow... I had no idea that forum existed. Thanks a ton man. you just gave me something to do at my boring job for the next week

Quick Reply: Anyone ever build a kit car??