Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

datson z cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default datson z cars

does anybody have a datson z car conversion. id love to convert one to a ls1. would like to see some pics, who knows it might be my first real project car...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb ...................

there is an LS1 Z on here use the search.
Also, check out hybridz.org as there is a wealth of info there concerning this and other swaps to the Z.
https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Datsun-Z-LS1-V8_Order.html check out this link for headers and intake ducting.
https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Datsun-Z-LS1-V8_Order.html check this link for info
http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm check this link for mounts, etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

You can come and help me finish mine up that way you have some experience for your project lol. J/K I am doing one and I am not using any of the kit in the above links. I got my motor set very far back and very low. Check out the link in my sig. I know there are several others on hybridz.org are doing the converion also. Good luck
Old 05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I have a '73 240Z Im about to drop a LS1 into. I got the mounts from JohnsCars and headers from JagsThatRun. I have decided to go megasquirt for the FI to save a couple bucks so I ditched the 4l60E and am building a powerglide for the car. Im also contemplating a turbo kit but will probably be N/A for a while. Only pics I have can be found here.....
http://dfwss.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=1448
Old 05-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Dropped the Stock Fuel Injection? and the Stock Tranny?

Why?

Two Very Nice Compliments to a LS1

Im working on a 76 280Z with a T56 Also.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BringIt10s
Dropped the Stock Fuel Injection? and the Stock Tranny?

Why?

Two Very Nice Compliments to a LS1

Im working on a 76 280Z with a T56 Also.
Dropped the 4l60E because its a turd and I dont want to drop $$$ on a built 4l80E. On top of that I am going with megasquirt to handle the fuel delivery because I cant justify $400 to modify a wiring harness and another 150-500 to tune my PCM not to mention I plan on changing cams, converters and so on so I was looking at getting EFILive or HPtuner and there is NO WAY a freaking computer program and cable should cost anyone $600-1000. That is just retarded. With megasquirt I can have SD (which the '98 harness and computer cant do) for under $500 and be able to tune my own car. Not to mention TONS of other features not available with the stock PCM and usually only found on megabux aftermarket EFI. Megasquirt cant operate a electronic tranny right now so the crappy slushbox had to go for a built 'glide. Only downside is right now MS doesnt support COP (coil on plug) so Ill be running a $300 programable MSD box to take care of the ignition.

If my car was going to be more a cruiser and show car then I would have just used the OEM stuff but I plan on running my beast at the track and adding a power adder soon after I get it running so tuning is a must.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

anyone see darius240z.com hes local around here and has supercharged smallblock in it. check out the site, its a pretty bad car!!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bimmers4life
anyone see darius240z.com hes local around here and has supercharged smallblock in it. check out the site, its a pretty bad car!!
Its a LTX based motor if Im not mistaken with a procharger. Cool car but I have seen MUCH faster. Heres a pic of a locals 240Z. 5.50's in the 1/8th and he just got all the lights working and driving on the street

BTW, its a 406 with a little spray
Attached Thumbnails datson z cars-123-2312_img.jpg   datson z cars-123-2313_img.jpg  
Old 05-27-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

im looking to just buy a nice 70-78 z car, put a rounded body kit on it, drop a stock 325hp/345tq ls1 in it backed by a t56. that should be more then enough to have as a daily driver.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lason
Dropped the 4l60E because its a turd and I dont want to drop $$$ on a built 4l80E. On top of that I am going with megasquirt to handle the fuel delivery because I cant justify $400 to modify a wiring harness and another 150-500 to tune my PCM not to mention I plan on changing cams, converters and so on so I was looking at getting EFILive or HPtuner and there is NO WAY a freaking computer program and cable should cost anyone $600-1000. That is just retarded. With megasquirt I can have SD (which the '98 harness and computer cant do) for under $500 and be able to tune my own car. Not to mention TONS of other features not available with the stock PCM and usually only found on megabux aftermarket EFI. Megasquirt cant operate a electronic tranny right now so the crappy slushbox had to go for a built 'glide. Only downside is right now MS doesnt support COP (coil on plug) so Ill be running a $300 programable MSD box to take care of the ignition.

If my car was going to be more a cruiser and show car then I would have just used the OEM stuff but I plan on running my beast at the track and adding a power adder soon after I get it running so tuning is a must.
" Modifying Harness " - Free (very cheap) if you know what you are doing or can have a good friend help you out.

" Modifying PCM " - Very Cheap - Just look on ebay there are people doing it for 50$

" Crap 4l60E " - I admit I dont have a ton of expierence with it, but I do know it has fully electronic adjustable shift points, convertor lock up schedules and electronicly controlled internal pressures. I know people that would kill to have these features in a transmission. Instead of having to all these crazy valvebody mods and shift kits and ****. All you have to do is use an old washed up EFI Live Cable and you have a full programmable Electronic Transmission.

So it cant run a crap transmission, It can run coil-on plug, It cant control closed loop fueling. Seems like you are getting what you are paying for.

I disagree with your thinking but It seems like you know what you want.

Another LS1 Z Car is all that matters as long as you get there. Nomatter which way you take, the end is the same.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BringIt10s
" Modifying Harness " - Free (very cheap) if you know what you are doing or can have a good friend help you out.

" Modifying PCM " - Very Cheap - Just look on ebay there are people doing it for 50$

" Crap 4l60E " - I admit I dont have a ton of expierence with it, but I do know it has fully electronic adjustable shift points, convertor lock up schedules and electronicly controlled internal pressures. I know people that would kill to have these features in a transmission. Instead of having to all these crazy valvebody mods and shift kits and ****. All you have to do is use an old washed up EFI Live Cable and you have a full programmable Electronic Transmission.

So it cant run a crap transmission, It can run coil-on plug, It cant control closed loop fueling. Seems like you are getting what you are paying for.

I disagree with your thinking but It seems like you know what you want.

Another LS1 Z Car is all that matters as long as you get there. Nomatter which way you take, the end is the same.

Yeah if I had a bigger budget then I would just get a 4l80E built and go that route but I have broken 3 4l60E's in my old trans am and I grew to hate them. I was going to go with a th350/400 but decided to go with the 'glide due to my weight and the sheer strength of it. Im building the 'glide myself and it will cost me about $800 for all the parts I need and I will have a tranny capable of handling 1500+hp assuming I can keep it cool. Another reason I went with it is because of the high 1.76 first gear. It will really help keep my light car from blowing the tires off the line and with the tranny brake Im putting on it I will be able to build some major boost at the line if I go with a turbo.

Right now I have my hands full with the chassis. I suggest anyone building a 240 to stiffen the chassis, these things flex BAD. I found a little rot in the drivers side floor board so Im going to be cutting them out next weekend and building some "through the floor" subrame connectors out of 2x3 sqare tubing . Also I will be ditching the IRS and going with a 8.8" straight axle so Im trying to plan out the ladder bar/coil over setup now so I dont have to cut the floor twice.

As you guys can tell my car will be a little more strip than street and that is alot fo the reason Im going the way I am. If I had the money and wanted to build a clean street car then modifying the stock harness and ECM and keeping the IRS would be a no brainer.

Good luck with your Z's guys and if I see any good deals I will let you know 2000SLPZ28
Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

thanx alot
Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Hi,

Here is a link to my 77 Z ls2 project. I have picture of the process.Its almost done it only needs wiring,gauges,brakes and rear axles installed.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...&highlight=LS2

Quick Reply: datson z cars