Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another VSS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another VSS question

I've been trying to figure out to make a VSS work on my K/5. I've been to many sites but it doesn't seem that there is a 40 pulse that will work for my application. Is there a way to use a 4 pulse or 2 pulse VSS and have it converted somehow? Or better yet can the computer be set to use this signal?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What tranny are you using? I found a 40 pulse at transmissioncenter.net for a 4L60E.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

I'm using the truck 5 speed. I've seen the 40 pulse one that Jags that Runs sells but it mounts back @ the rearend. Probly not a good place for a 4x4 that and it's made for an S-10, I'm sure my rearend housing is much bigger than the one for an S-10. Advanced Adapters also makes one that mounts behind the transfer case (a much better spot) but I have large u joints and they don't have one that will fit mine yet.

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the reluctor ring? Is it made of anything special or coated with anything special. I'm trying to figure out why I couldn't just make one that would fit my u joints. It seems to me as long as you had 40 teeth spaced evenly that it would work but I could be wrong.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Jtr Vss

The VSS that JTR sells comes in at least a couple of internal sizes. I adapted one to my Muncie 4 speed. I bet you have some room in the transfer case that you could use one. They are nice pieces too.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billyjo
Does anyone know if there is anything special about the reluctor ring? Is it made of anything special or coated with anything special. I'm trying to figure out why I couldn't just make one that would fit my u joints. It seems to me as long as you had 40 teeth spaced evenly that it would work but I could be wrong.
thats correct. you could place it on a U joint.. well, as long as the ring doesnt move forward and backwards too..

theres nothing special about the ring. as long as you have 40 teeth, evenly spaced, made out of a steel ring, and you have the sensor close enough to the ring, it will work just fine.

the computer is also pretty flexible, so while you'll have to do the math on it afterward, its entirely possible to use 38 or 46 or anything with reasonable accuracy.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Novas forever, that is a great install that you did and I had read your post on the subject but I don't have the machinist skills to tackle such a project and I'm not sure where to go to have it done correctly. Through surfing the internet I've found that there is a reluctor ring that will fit over the splines where the worm gear for the speedo cable is but this means I would have to give up my mechanical speedo. I might be able to fit it between the 2 sets of splines but I'm not sure. It will take some more research to see if it's possible.

[IMG][/IMG]

The other option I have is to have the disc for my emergency brake drilled so that it has enough holes in it. Presently there are 12 holes on the 2nd set out from the center. Looks like I could have these drilled with 2 additional holes between whats there and it would give me 36 holes. Would this be enough and how do I go about doing the math to figure out the equation that would be needed to enter the right info into the computer?

[IMG][/IMG]

It seems that the second option would be an easier install for me. Does anyone have any input either way? Maybe I'm over simplifying the install, please let me know if you see any flaws with my plan
Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing you have the NP205 transfercase. I would mount the VSS in the trasfer case and get a electric speedo. Just to get it out of the way.

I think someone makes a VSS to mech speedo if you stuck on the stock gauges. I would ditch the stock gauges and go aftermaket on everything. They will be more accurate anyway.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billyjo
Novas forever, that is a great install that you did and I had read your post on the subject but I don't have the machinist skills to tackle such a project and I'm not sure where to go to have it done correctly. Through surfing the internet I've found that there is a reluctor ring that will fit over the splines where the worm gear for the speedo cable is but this means I would have to give up my mechanical speedo. I might be able to fit it between the 2 sets of splines but I'm not sure. It will take some more research to see if it's possible.

[IMG][/IMG]

The other option I have is to have the disc for my emergency brake drilled so that it has enough holes in it. Presently there are 12 holes on the 2nd set out from the center. Looks like I could have these drilled with 2 additional holes between whats there and it would give me 36 holes. Would this be enough and how do I go about doing the math to figure out the equation that would be needed to enter the right info into the computer?

[IMG][/IMG]

It seems that the second option would be an easier install for me. Does anyone have any input either way? Maybe I'm over simplifying the install, please let me know if you see any flaws with my plan
you could take that disk out, bring it to any decent machine shop, and they should be able to put the teeth on the edge pretty easily.
then you would just need a good bracket to hold the sensor close.

although on a off road car, i would think it thru.. if this was a hotrod, id do it. but for something that will be covered in mud, dirt, sand... pounded by rocks and all.... i think id go with something sealed up better... unless thats tucked up out of the way good, and you make a really strong bracket for it..
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like the emergency brake setup. Look at the Jaguars That Run website for a second. I am pretty sure that they have something that mounts on the output shaft speedo gear location and lets you run both the VSS and speedo. With all that cast iron you could drill the hole for the VSS anywhere safely. Cool project. I can hear it off road now.

Last edited by Novas Forver; 06-06-2006 at 09:53 AM.