Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on custom dash arrangement...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on custom dash arrangement...

Hey all. Im in the middle of swapping in an LS1/T56 combo into my 87 Trans AM. While Im waiting for headers to arrive, I decided to get moving on my dash. Im using a full set of Autometer Phantom gauges...to match the pillar pod I have already. Where Im running into a problem is...I cant decide how to arrange my smaller gauges. I came up with 4 options that I think I like. The way Im mounting them pretty much means I cant redo it... Because Im using the shell of the old cluster. I know it comes down to what I like best...but I figured Ide get some opinions while Im thinking....

The dash will retain the stock turn signal and high beam indicators. The three little circles mixed in with the small gauges will be check engine, oil level, brake warning, and possible coolant level. I have the tach and speedo mounted/mocked in... and I have the oval made for the small gauges... Just need to poke some holes for them and Im set. Thanks for your opinions!!

Justin

Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#4 looks best to me, but #3 is nice too. 1 & 2 look too busy.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like #4, but I would switch the temp and volts. I would want the most critical indicators close to the tach for quick reads.

Pat
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks for the opinions guys. #4 is starting to grow on me. I liked #1 first...but I agree...it may be too busy. The labels for the small gauges are just for reference. They arent really where Ill be placing them. But I agree Stu...Ill probably have oil and temp right next to the tach. I guess my thinking was if I put those two gauges on top they would be more visible.

My only other brain stumper is what to use for warning lights. Ide like to use LEDs... orange for check engine, red for brake, yellow for coolant, and i guess red for oil level. i wish I had a neat way of labeling them and not making it look like crap. I watn to keep the lights as low key and flush as possible. I want them to be as non-visible as possible when off...

Justin
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

well i like 1 and 4.

but i started thinking about it... in all of them, the gauge closest to the tach, will be covered partially by the wheel or your hand on the wheel.

so i would put the least critical, (IMO the voltage or fuel) one in that place.... so if you moved the oil gauge location, in #1, that would work.... #4 is great too...

how is the visibilty of the gauges in the car? any pics so i can get a better idea of the angle you're looking at them at by the wheel?.... i hate it when the wheel is in the way of me seeing the gauges.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

lol, funny, i didnt read the other replies, likes thoes two....
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the insight... Actually..I gave no thought to the steering wheel. haha. The column is out of the car rightnow, and I just started mocking up the dash parts last night. I dont have any pics because I dont know if its going to work out. Im trying something alittle different... or atleast I think its different. But...I do have a smaller than stock steering wheel. Its a pilot/grant type deal. So...if I use #4...I will probably put volts closest to the tach. I should be able to easily see the other 3 with no trouble.

Before I decide on which gauges goes in which hole...Ill put the column back in and see how it looks. I have to decide on the arrangement first though. Those labels for the gauges were just to show what all was going in there.

Good call on the steering wheel interference!!!

Justin
Old 06-13-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just goofin off during my lunch break... I think it will look good in the car.

Justin
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like 3 and 4 the best. But I can`t decide which one I like better, I like the look of 4 better but then I look at it again and it looks like the gauges are smiling in 3 and frowning in #4, but mabey I am the only person warped enough to think of that . For your indicator lights, were you thinking of having a dark oval around the 4 smaller gauges like in the top computer generated pic? If you were you could make that out of dark smoked plexiglass and then epoxy the LED`s directly to the back, they would be invisible when off and the light would shine through when they turn on. You could label them by having someone etch the plexiglass or using letter transfers. If you use letter transfers with dark brown or black letters the letters would be difficult to see or impossible until the light came on. Another way would be to use the plexiglass again, but cut apart junkyard clusters to get the prelabled lenses/lamps and then epoxy them to the back of the plexiglass.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

G-Body... Good ideas. I decided on 4...and the holes are cut as of last night. As for the warning lights, I was actually thinking about using the ones from the thirdgen dash that I hacked apart. They are individual from the gauge faces. They just look like little cards. Anyway, I thought about figuring out a way to use them...but I only have SES, and BRAKE. Ide have to find ones that say oil and coolant too. I guess I could hack apart a 4th gen dash...I have one but Ide rather sell it. Im not sure I really like the way this piece is coming out, so I might just go with it...and use colored lights or LEDS for my warning lights. Then, after the car is done, I might change it to some smoked plastic, or use Night Shades with come clear plexi and make those labels work. Didnt think of using smoked plastic though..thanks for the idea!! Pictures of what I do have will be coming real soon!

Justin
Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#4 looks best to me
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

4 is my favorite.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

I like #4 too. The oil and temp are the two most important gauges on the side and it will be easy to get a quick read with them at the same height.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys I really appreciate your opinions! Ive been sold on #4. I think I like it the best also. I have the holes made, and the panel painted. I took a teaser pic of it last night while I was doing some fiberglassing so Ill try to post that up today. Thanks again for the feedback! I cant wait to actually start putting it all together... Headers are coming Friday so I have to hurry about with this wiring mess!

Justin
Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

#4 Looks the best to me... But shouldn't the Tach be to the left of the Speedo.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats how the original dash was set up. I like it this way because the tach is more important to me if Im banging through the gears...and my left arm ( on the wheel) blocks a good bit of the left gauge. So even if the stock set up had the tack over on the left, I would still do it this way. Its opposite on my jeep and sometimes plays tricks with my head...haha.. Kind of like if you go from driving a manual car to an auto...you still push the clutch in when you come to a stop...but there is no pedal...

Now I have to decide on a good place to mount my harlan shift light. I dont want to do in in the vents. I think Im going to secure it to the underside of the dash pad, over on the left corner. Should be pretty incognito there. Wont blast me right in the face, but should get my attention!

Justin
Old 07-30-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Alittle teaser...

Ok...bringin this thread back instead of starting a new one... I got tired of seeing the autometer boxes sitting around and havin the dash pieces laying around, so tonight I slapped it together to get an idea of how it will fit and how it looks. I love it! I still have to pop in some LEDs or colored bulbs for the check engine light and all that... Fit is awsome... and I was able to retain my stock high beam and turn signal indicators. Check it out... let me know what you think..

Oh and one thing... the oval for the smaller gauges isnt finished. I still have to clean up the oval and use some fiberglass to smooth things out. But it will do for now...I want the car to run darn it!!

This one is from outside...through the back window.

Let me know what you think!

Justin
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! Best part is...if I dont like it this way after awile, its VERY easy to change. That black plastic thing is the stock cluster cover. I have a few of them sitting around. 4 new holes and some black paint, new dash set up!

Justin
Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Looks great but personally I'd switch the Tachometer and the Spedo...for some reason it looks too weird like that.

Quick Reply: Opinions on custom dash arrangement...