Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air and LS1 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vintage Air and LS1 PCM

I have figured out a solution to connect a Vintage Air unit to the PCM and let the PCM control the fans and the A/C Clutch.

The no 17 pin on C2 is the A/C Request signal that tells the PCM that the Compressor clutch should engage.

I have also got the LS1 A/c refrigerant pressure sensor in my system so the PCM has everything it needs to believe it is a normal situation.

So if I send +12V to this pin from the Vintage Air thermostat wouldn't that work?

Have anyone done this connection?

Jan
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the way I do mine. This is really the only good way to do it if you are controlling your fans from the PCM, as the call for A/C will not only engage the compressor clutch, but will also go to full radiator fan regardless of the coolant temp. Without this function, you can generate some pretty high compressor head pressures without sufficient airflow across the condensor.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get the LS1 pressure sensor into the system?

I have not been able to find any adapter to get the M10x1.25 o-ring shrader valve into the system. The closest that I have found is the valve body that needs to be brazed into a hard line, but can't find anyone nearby that will do that type of work.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have aftermarket air on mine from Southern Air. I have it set up so the ECU controls my primary puller fan and the secondary pusher fan on the condensor comes on with the AC. I have a wire from the pusher fan relay spliced into the same wire that comes from the pressure switch to control the compressor. When the compressor is on the signal is sent to the pusher fan relay. Since I am not using the factory fans I do not know how this applies to that set up, but it is an alternative. In my Speartech harness I also have a wire connected into the AC that signals the ECU to raise the idle when the AC is on. I do not know which pin this goes to or what ECU setting was made by Speartech to make it happen. This way it lets the AC control itself without input from the ECU. The AC system has it's own high/low pressure switch. It seemed like a simple way to set it up.

Pat
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rao
How did you get the LS1 pressure sensor into the system?

I have not been able to find any adapter to get the M10x1.25 o-ring shrader valve into the system. The closest that I have found is the valve body that needs to be brazed into a hard line, but can't find anyone nearby that will do that type of work.

Well I haven't yet, I am going to a A/C shop tomorrow and see if they can fix this for me. I am in Europe so I hope there will be a fitting that will work.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Jan
Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
Well I haven't yet, I am going to a A/C shop tomorrow and see if they can fix this for me. I am in Europe so I hope there will be a fitting that will work.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Jan

Thanks. I am interested to see how they do this.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

It will take some time before I get an answer to this. The A/C guys has a very busy time now in high summer, many broken A/Cs.

His spontanous answer was that he didn't know any fitting that would fit but he would try to find out during the coming week.

I might have to try to get hold of the F-body A/C tube that the fittings is on originally. I have access to a crashed '02 Camaro to pick parts from that I might need.

Jan
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Sorry for the delay in a solution for this topic.

Well finally I have got the fitting so I can get the LS1 AC sensor to fit with normal #6 AC hoses.

The guys at the AC shop took a 1/4" fitting and re-threaded it to M10x1.5

Haven't had a chance to see if it works with the Schreader valve but it looks like it. The fitting is located close to the PCM so I can use the harness for it.

Jan
Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

I'm needing some help on this same issue. I have the 1/4" male fitting, but need to be able to install the LS1's metric threaded pressure transducer. It would be great if they made a beadlock fitting T for this purpose....any ideas vs having one reworked like the above post?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96gt4.6
I'm needing some help on this same issue. I have the 1/4" male fitting, but need to be able to install the LS1's metric threaded pressure transducer. It would be great if they made a beadlock fitting T for this purpose....any ideas vs having one reworked like the above post?

Any updated info info on what you did? Surely by now, someone must make a headlock fitting with the LS safety switch added.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

12 year old thread!
Whoop Whoop!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sowbelle
12 year old thread!
Whoop Whoop!
And the question still remains..