Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California + smog + 240sx + fuel accessories (pump, canister, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California + smog + 240sx + fuel accessories (pump, canister, etc)

According a previous installer (LS1->Rx7) here this person was able to pass smog LEGALLY by allowing the state REF to "ok" the engine swap/change. What surprised me was that he had to change the evap accessories to get it to pass. I'm guessing the evap equipment is needed to allow the PCM to correctly diagnose smog-related issues? If this is the case then I'm assuming I have to rid of my evap equipment, in place of the proper LSx one? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not from cali, but from what I understand of the cali laws you have to put in the donor engine and all of its operating systems to be legal. So you would have to get rid of the RX7 evap components and install the LS1 evap system, same with air injection, the convertors, etc. I think the reasoning is so that they know all the smog controls will be supported by the PCM and so that the PCM can self diagnose any problems
Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

G-body is correct. You must use all of the emmisions equipment from the doner vehicle and make it operational. You need to adapt the newer engines charcole canister to your existing fuel tank to collect and burn fuel vapors.

You can not swap a truck engine into a passenger vehicle.

Also the year of the doner engine must be newer than the vehicle its going into.

It is illegal to modify any part of the exhaust inbetween the manifolds and catalytc convertrs. It is illegal to move the o2 sensors that are in front of the cats. You can do what ever you want to the exahust system immediately following the cats. Also if the doner vehicle was single exaust you can not put daul on your conversion.

You also need to adapt the doner vehicle factory intake or use a aftermarket cold air intake that came with a C.A.R.B. sticker.

Lots of info here:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm
Old 07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Born-again I'm glad you chimed in. I've been reading your progress concerning your rx7 swap. Congrats!

Ok next question, because I must all charcole canister to the fuel take does that also mean I must use the lsx fuel pump? That's one of the main concerns I have to getting this swap to work with my car.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Adjustable fuel pressure regulators are illegal the ref might or might not find it if its hidden well enough. On the ls1 the fuel pressure regulator is built onto the fuel pump. Also the fuel vapor pressure sensor is built onto the fuel pump. The fuel vapor sensor randomly conducts tests on your fuel tank to determine if there are vapor leaks. I kept the ls1 fuel pump in tact and dropped it directly into my rx7's fuel tank to simplify things.

If you want to press your luck you can hide the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Hook up the ls1 charcole canister to the vapor port of your 240's gas tank and then T into that same hose collecting fuel vapors and attach the fuel pressure vapor sensor to the remaining end of the T.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Born-again 7
G-body is correct. You must use all of the emmisions equipment from the doner vehicle and make it operational. You need to adapt the newer engines charcole canister to your existing fuel tank to collect and burn fuel vapors.

You can not swap a truck engine into a passenger vehicle.

Also the year of the doner engine must be newer than the vehicle its going into.

It is illegal to modify any part of the exhaust inbetween the manifolds and catalytc convertrs. It is illegal to move the o2 sensors that are in front of the cats. You can do what ever you want to the exahust system immediately following the cats. Also if the doner vehicle was single exaust you can not put daul on your conversion.

You also need to adapt the doner vehicle factory intake or use a aftermarket cold air intake that came with a C.A.R.B. sticker.

Lots of info here:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm
wrong.
check these forums. This has been gone over with a fine tooth comb.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mmdb
Born-again I'm glad you chimed in. I've been reading your progress concerning your rx7 swap. Congrats!

Ok next question, because I must all charcole canister to the fuel take does that also mean I must use the lsx fuel pump? That's one of the main concerns I have to getting this swap to work with my car.

Thanks!
You dont have to fun the lsx fuel pump. However if you fail the reff will give you a list of why you failed and you can come back and retest.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

kool thanks for the info. I'll do what is necessary to get everything running, and then tackle the fuel pump issue. I'm not sure, but will the PCM function properly without the fuel pump? I'm sure it's been discussed, but I thought I'd just ask since we're on the subject.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you mean without the fuel pump? The PCM just sends a signal to turn the fuel pump on, it does not monitor the fuel pump, you can run the motor without hooking the PCM to the fuel pump, just make sure the motor gets 58psi of fuel pressure. The PCM will notice if the vapor pressure sensor that is on the fuel sending unit is not connected, and it will set a code/ ck engine light. You can get rid of the code in the computer with one of the tuning programs and probably still pass smog, from what I hear they just make sure your not setting any codes at the smog check. You can`t set a code if its deleted .

Quick Reply: California + smog + 240sx + fuel accessories (pump, canister, etc)