Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx in a plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSx in a plane

So I was thinking... Im discussing building a kit plane with a friend and was thinking about LSx style engines.

The main problem I can think of is that LSx engines run over 6k rpm, whereas airplane engines usually run in the 3k rpm range.

Is it possible to build a BIG stroker LS2 in the 402 range with small ports that could make peak power at 32-3500 rpm?

It would be really cool to have a lightweight V8 with fuel injection (fuel injected airplane engines are CRAZY expensive). Is there any other real setback that we would come across in doing this?

Im sure a good porter could make a small valve, small port (matterial would be added of course) head, that would peak below 4k rpm which would have a good life at 4k rpm.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Need a gear reduction.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Ive read somewhere before that people like LS1's for planes b/c of the weight and power. If you ever get it done, your LSX is gonna Fly!!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I found this site (http://members.iquest.net/~aca/index.htm) that sells a kit plane designed for a Turbo LSx engine that cruises at 350 mph.

This seems a little high for a prop engine, but is crazy cool. Its designed by an Indy car engineer.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I would love to have one of those bad boys.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont forget the dry sump.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Launching!

LS1s on a plane

LOL

Someone needs to Pchop that to say LS1s, not snakes tho
Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Teching In

A constant speed prop would be the best. You won't want the LSx to rev beyond it's torque curve. It'll just use fuel inefficiently. A good rpm target would be 2400, I think. It'll make good power but not use 25 GPH.

Be sure you put it into a "full acrobatic" capable airframe. We're gonna wanna see videos too!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by disco192
So I was thinking... Im discussing building a kit plane with a friend and was thinking about LSx style engines.

The main problem I can think of is that LSx engines run over 6k rpm, whereas airplane engines usually run in the 3k rpm range.

Is it possible to build a BIG stroker LS2 in the 402 range with small ports that could make peak power at 32-3500 rpm?

It would be really cool to have a lightweight V8 with fuel injection (fuel injected airplane engines are CRAZY expensive). Is there any other real setback that we would come across in doing this?

Im sure a good porter could make a small valve, small port (matterial would be added of course) head, that would peak below 4k rpm which would have a good life at 4k rpm.

Any thoughts?
Jim Rahm has been doing it for years for Lancair corp. for their kit planes.
The Lancair 420P has an aluminum twin-turbo 350 Chevy making 420 hp.

Call Lancair and they'll give you some good info. I have a complete write-up on the plane and engine, it uses a 5-bladed constant speed prop. If I can find it I'll scan it and e-mail them to you.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a plane out there, all carbon fiber and billet with a twin turbo LS1 in it. Its freakin BAD ***

-Matt
Old 09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by disco192

I think it'd be a very interesting exercise....

I'd expect that you'd look into maximizing whatever power is available in that mid-rpm range. Figure on cruising in the 2500 to 3000 rpm range. And set it up so that you can run it up to 4500 to 5000 rpm for takeoff power and other "special" situations that require extra power which would be the "sprint" rating.

Gear reduction and variable pitch would be mandatory. Not sure about how constant speed is done, nor do I know the advantages / disadvantages of it, so I can't comment on that aspect. I expect that a dry sump would only be necessary if you're going to do funny things with the airframe (acrobatics and such), otherwise I'd bet a wet sump would probably do ok.

Lastly, you would want to do something to boost the engine, to make up for lazy performance at altitude (could be lazy to downright lousy). Turbos would be the preferred route, but a supercharger could do the deed also (did on all kinds of WWII aircraft).

The area that a automobile engine falls short of the aircraft designs is redundancy. A typical flat 4 or flat 6 airplane engine has 2 complete ignition systems (2 mags, 2 sets of wires & plugs). And due to the simplicity of carbs, they don't have much need for redundancy there. But an EFI system has a bunch of components, all of which have the possiblility of failure (injectors, fuel pumps, controllers, sensors, etc). That's the only side of doing an automotive to aircraft conversion that would make me nervous. At least with a car / truck / boat conversion you can pull over!

Sidebar: Something I stumbled upon a while ago was one of the last big piston engines for aircraft (commercial stuff, just before they went to jets). They were turbo compounds. Think big multi-row radial with multiple turbocharger hot sections. But instead of the hot section driving compressors, they were geared to the output shaft. They used multi-speed, multi-stage centrifugal superchargers for boost. Pretty impressive, since they were getting something like 3500hp out of them. Talk about using all the technology available. Regardly, it was pretty neat reading.

'JustDreamin'
Old 09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure the tips of the propeller don't reach 700 mph or the prop will desintegrate.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RideZX-6R
LS1s on a plane

LOL

Someone needs to Pchop that to say LS1s, not snakes tho

i was soooooooooooooooooooooooo thining that hahahaha
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, constant velocity is the only way to go. No different than like a king air, rev that baby up and pitch it up! >=) Only thing I would be worried about in a small plane is the torque will want to roll that baby over if you jab the throttle.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

we all knw the motor will have enough power!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

I remember a number of years back these guys www.velocityaircraft.com were putting a SBC in one of the XLRG's I would love one of those damn things with a LSx and also even if you built a 10K motor it would still save you about 30K.

Quick Reply: LSx in a plane