Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 240sx project slowly beginning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 240sx project slowly beginning...

Well, i've finally got a motor, its actually an lq4 from an 04 denali. Its a 6.0 with 325hp and 370ft/lbs of torque. All of the sources i've seen so far say this motor weighs ~80lbs more than an ls1. So in theory, this will still weigh slightly less than the ka. Its getting ls6 heads, cometic head gaskets, ls6 intake manifold and f-body accessories. I'm still undecided on the cam yet, although i'm looking for about 450 whp. Still need to get a tranny, gto oil pan and pickup, some kind of headers, and plenty of misc stuff. I ordered some motor mounts the other day, and I already have my r33 crossmember. I will fully document this swap in an effort to continue to make this swap gain popularity. Here are some pix:

This last pic i'm looking for an opinion on my black housing headlights. I know my bumper is sagging, but I'd like some input on the headlights. They are stock but have been retrofitted with rx330 hid projectors, and i just painted the chrome housing black. Not sure what i think about the black yet. Opinions welcome!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice......that should make for a pretty potent 240 all the best with your project
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soon2brb240
All of the sources i've seen so far say this motor weighs ~80lbs more than an ls1. So in theory, this will still weigh slightly less than the ka.[/img]
It won't weigh less than the ka. The ka with the clutch and flywheel weighs 400 lbs and that's with all the accesories on it and it was full of engine oil.

The LS1/T56 combo I got out of a '00 TA without the A/C compressor (might have had the alternator off when I weighted it as well) weighed 596 lbs with all all in the tranny and engine. The KA24 5 speed combo I pulled out of my '91 S13 weighed 496 lbs with everything on it with oil in the motor and most of it drained out of the tranny. I weighed the 5 speed after I disconnected it from the KA before selling it to somebody and it weighed 95 lbs so that's where I got the 400 lbs figure from for the KA24.

FWIW: The 'How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/lS6 V-8's' lists the 6.0L iron block being 88 lbs more than the LS1 aluminum block. They also say a complete LS1 weighs 430 lbs but I don't think that's including the flywheel. If you take the weight I got of 596, take off the 430 and also around 130 lbs for the T56 and that leaves ~36 lbs left for the clutch and flywheel.

If you use what the book quoted for weight and you add on that big aluminum braket on the drivers side of the engine behind the alternator and if you keep the A/C my guess is you'll be around 220 lbs heavier than the KA24/5 speed and around 200 lbs heavier if you don't have the A/C on it for IIRC the A/C compressor and brakets weighed about 20 lbs.

HTH!

Last edited by Ted J; 09-26-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That should be a lot of fun. Hood clearance looks like it's going to be a real bugger since that intake is a lot higher and the alternator looks like it's really high as well. Guess time will tell if that is the case or not.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ted J
That should be a lot of fun. Hood clearance looks like it's going to be a real bugger since that intake is a lot higher and the alternator looks like it's really high as well. Guess time will tell if that is the case or not.
Well, i'm not really concerned about hood clearance being an issue because i'm switching the entire intake to an ls6 intake, and the alternator shouldn't be a problem because i'm switching to f-body accessories.

And as far as the weight goes, have you ever felt how much a stock s14 hood weighs? Haha, I fully believe that a carbon fiber hood, moving the battery to the trunk would completely offset any added weight of the iron block. This car is most definitely not going to be strictly a drag car. I want it to handle well and be a fun all around car. I plan to do some recreational drifting, drag, and the ocassional road course.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i'm not really concerned about hood clearance being an issue because i'm switching the entire intake to an ls6 intake, and the alternator shouldn't be a problem because i'm switching to f-body accessories.

And as far as the weight goes, have you ever felt how much a stock s14 hood weighs? Haha, I fully believe that a carbon fiber hood, moving the battery to the trunk would completely offset any added weight of the iron block. This car is most definitely not going to be strictly a drag car. I want it to handle well and be a fun all around car. I plan to do some recreational drifting, drag, and the ocassional road course.
I wondered if you were going to switch to f-body accessories and switch out the intake, makes sense. Looks like you might also have to switch the water pump out as well so you'll have a forward facing output instead of one facing straight up.

I've felt a S13 hood and weighted it in at 40 lbs. The carbon fiber hood, if you buy it for street use, shaves off 15 or so pounds for it weighs 25 lbs IIRC. Either way, like you said, moving the weight should for surley help.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Well either way, people are putting rb25's into 240s and i believe sport compact car quoted that to weigh 720lbs. People seem to be happy with the handling of those cars, and they have more weight farther forward than we will with the lsx swaps. Hope all goes well with your project! I see you're in Atlanta, i'm in memphis so not too far, we'll have to all get together one day and check out each others cars.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well either way, people are putting rb25's into 240s and i believe sport compact car quoted that to weigh 720lbs. People seem to be happy with the handling of those cars, and they have more weight farther forward than we will with the lsx swaps. Hope all goes well with your project! I see you're in Atlanta, i'm in memphis so not too far, we'll have to all get together one day and check out each others cars.
Don't get me wrong man, I'll take a torquey V8 in a fairly light car over a turbo'd 4 cylinder or Rb 6 cylinder any day. (although I wouldn't mind a turbo'd LS1 in a 240SX! ) Tuning can be done to account for the extra weight but like you commented on, you go and take a stock 240sx and shave 100 lbs off the front of it and it's going to affect things on how the car handles as well so tuning of the suspension is going to need to be done whenever changes have been made. That engine would be fun in a 3600 lb car so in a 2700 to 2900 lb car that just equals some tire smoking fun!

icantdrift has also done V8 swap into a 240sx and he lives like 2 miles away from me! He got his running and has some videos posted in this part of the forum so you'll want to go and check them out. He's got a thread about his swap and then the video thread of him difting the car at NOPI a few weeks ago.

You planning on going over to Nashville for some drift events this next year for I know there was a few there this last year and I'm assuming there may be some there this next summer.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ted J
You planning on going over to Nashville for some drift events this next year for I know there was a few there this last year and I'm assuming there may be some there this next summer.
I was actually in atlanta for a pretty big drift event/car show I wanna say it was in april maybe? I'm friends with Joey Redmond if you maybe know him, he does quite a bit of drift scene coverage, especially down there in atlanta.

All of us v8-240 guys should plan to go to some drift event in the area sometime after all our cars are done, just to kinda show the "new wave" of swaps happening in 240s haha.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Use a TPIS ZL15 Camshaft. I am also using LS6 heads, however I am using the LS2 intake since it has a 90 mm throttle body opening. An LS6 engine with the ZL15 camshaft and the LS2 intake did 503 HP. Should get you where you need to be. Good luck and keep us posted. Ken
Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so its coming along pretty good
Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I was actually in atlanta for a pretty big drift event/car show I wanna say it was in april maybe? I'm friends with Joey Redmond if you maybe know him, he does quite a bit of drift scene coverage, especially down there in atlanta.

All of us v8-240 guys should plan to go to some drift event in the area sometime after all our cars are done, just to kinda show the "new wave" of swaps happening in 240s haha.

lol, joey redmond. king of the rental car killers (and not even usually on purpose). i know him fairly well and i'm very good friends with his partner in crime Andy Sapp from the slide america tour they just wrapped up. my car is actually on their movie poster.

plenty of local events to get out to. i'll have the car back together for Drift Fury in november down here in atlanta. would be cool to see some other v8 swapped cars out.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

cool project, cant wait to see your progress with the truck motor and swapping over some Fbody and aftermarket stuff, very very cool. the motor looks like its in great shape too, congrats!

I like the black housing lights and with some real deal LExus HIDs in there you have to be pretty happy, it came out looking really good... HIDs provide such awesome illumination, I had some on my '94 GSR and I miss them
Old 10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Well, progress is quite slow with my project lately, I need to find a way to make more money!! haha. Anyway, my friend who's helping me with the swap said since the motor is in such good shape we should basically put it in stock (with ls1 intake and f-body accessories) and make it run good before i really start modding it.

At first i was opposed to this idea, but the more i thought about it, it made sense. The basic plan now is just to do the ls1 stock intake and f-body accessories, gto oil pan and pickup and get it into the car. If i decide to take this route i would plan on some type of forced induction in the future, probably a used vortech kit if i can find one. I'll definitely keep updating the thread as things start happening.

Joey is a good guy, even though he threw an entire cooler of ice into our hotel room one time, then ran away. It was pretty funny now when i look at it, but at that time, it made most of us pretty mad.

Does anyone have a good source for me to get the accessories off a f-body? Anybody have any? Lemme know! Thanks for the support guys!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

thats an S14 right? what motor mounts are you going to use?

while you have the motor out replace your rod bolts with katechs becuase you wont be able to do it in car, everything else you can do in car fairly easily..
Old 10-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cop Car
thats an S14 right? what motor mounts are you going to use?

while you have the motor out replace your rod bolts with katechs becuase you wont be able to do it in car, everything else you can do in car fairly easily..
Yep, it is an s14, its the newest body style s14 they made, called kouki. I would like to do rod bolts, is that something i can do by just flipping the engine over on an engine stand and taking one rod bolt out, replacing it with the aftermarket piece and torquing it down? Then continue down the line with every rod?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

im looking into buying a S14 to do a swap into. pm me with some advice please

as for rod bolts, take off oil pan, and then remove completely one cap, press out the ferruls and put in new katech rod bolts. i dont think id want to do it one bolt at a time, id take both bolts out at the same time. keep in mind that you cannot in any circumstances mix up the caps, they are "broken rods" in that they are cast as one piece and the ends are broken off, its not a clean cut or flat edges at all. so never have more than one cap off at the same time
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cop Car
im looking into buying a S14 to do a swap into. pm me with some advice please

as for rod bolts, take off oil pan, and then remove completely one cap, press out the ferruls and put in new katech rod bolts. i dont think id want to do it one bolt at a time, id take both bolts out at the same time. keep in mind that you cannot in any circumstances mix up the caps, they are "broken rods" in that they are cast as one piece and the ends are broken off, its not a clean cut or flat edges at all. so never have more than one cap off at the same time
Cool thanks for the advise. And as for an s14 for your swap, i'd probably try to find a 95-96, they go for MUCH less than the 97-98 (my front end style). You could get a 95ish for a good price, do the swap and then if you want, bolt on the front end like mine and have roughly the same thing.

I think someone asked about the mounts i'm using...i'm using a skyline r33 crossmember because the mounting points for the motor mounts are further forward, leaving more room for headers etc. I'm using the universal "hot rod" mounts from car shop and i'm just cutting them to match the angle of the crossmember, and welding them to it. They will still have a bushing between the crossmember and motor, so i should be good there.

Quick Reply: Another 240sx project slowly beginning...