Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecotec + T56?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that from the Autocrossers Inc. event in April @ Ripken? If so...I was there spectating.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sbc427f-car, yes mate im in the uk.

solid rearsa can work good, ie the ford Mk1=2 Esscorts, but most 7's now go for irs i think.

have you thought about a BMW diff? very strong but the gearing might be a bit long.

your weight put you and car in a about 770kg if my maths is right! thats a lot for a 4pot 7!!! most over here run at about 5-600kg + driver! either way i would build the thing as light as you can, then you can add balest where you want (nice and low) to get to the weight you need.

what intake are you looking to run if you not going ITBs then????

Chris.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Is that from the Autocrossers Inc. event in April @ Ripken? If so...I was there spectating.
No, this was http://media.putfile.com/EVO-Phase-1-Sunday-July-2nd

This was before I fixed my axle hop issues (same problem that broke my panhard rod in the other autox). If you notice, I get on the gas very late out of the corner - in an attempt to prevent destroying more suspension pieces.

I beefed up all the rear suspension links and went to heim joints. The problem is resolved now.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by chuntington101
sbc427f-car, yes mate im in the uk.

solid rearsa can work good, ie the ford Mk1=2 Esscorts, but most 7's now go for irs i think.

have you thought about a BMW diff? very strong but the gearing might be a bit long.

your weight put you and car in a about 770kg if my maths is right! thats a lot for a 4pot 7!!! most over here run at about 5-600kg + driver! either way i would build the thing as light as you can, then you can add balest where you want (nice and low) to get to the weight you need.

what intake are you looking to run if you not going ITBs then????

Chris.
Chris...I don't disagree with trying to NOT build it as light as possible...that's the game plan, along with ballast. THat's the point of trying to pick the class.

I'd probably just run with a stock ecotec for a while, then maybe add a blower on to it (since they're a factory item in some of the cobalts). One of those suckers pumping out about 260 horse with the blower and if my math is right on a 2.2 with the SCCA's 1.4 multiplier on displace with boost, that's still with in some of the favorable weight brakes for E Mod.

My damned books still haven't gotten here (AND THEY NEED TO!), so I can't really do anything other than take ideas and scheme right now. Nothing wrong with that though.

99...I think if I do end up going to the live axle rear...I'll take the extra time and effort to setup with a 3 link. Probably run with a pan hard rod out of easiness for adjustability. Dunno yet though, I need to read these books. lol.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

99...I think if I do end up going to the live axle rear...I'll take the extra time and effort to setup with a 3 link. Probably run with a pan hard rod out of easiness for adjustability. Dunno yet though, I need to read these books. lol.

That seems to be the current wisdom. Mine has a 4 link + panhard rod.

I just have the slightest hint of axle hop now under certain conditions... not enough to figure out exactly when... my old links were really bad. Right now, I really can't say that I have a complaint about my 4 link setup.

My advice on your build is... go with things that are easier to understand, and easier to build eventhough they may not be the ultimate setup.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, this should give you an idea how whimpy my old links were:

OK, i guess this is offtopic
Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I could seriously careless about off topic, I need ideas and design ideas.

Yes, the K.I.S.S montra does make great sense and I think that's what I need to do. 10 bolt rears will be fine on 4 banger power, but if I want to move to an LSx, well...I can upgrade that at some point.

If we don't catch up before autocross season next year, I'll have to spot you at some event.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

sb427f-car, is there no site or info on other chassis running in the race you plan on running in you could nick some deas off??? save reinventing the wheel and all! lol

still think you should spend a few bucks on the engine!!! ditch the intake and run motorbike carbs or injection! they can be build very cheaply and make as good power as running ITB's.

thanks chris.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

sb427f-car, is there no site or info on other chassis running in the race you plan on running in you could nick some deas off??? save reinventing the wheel and all! lol

still think you should spend a few bucks on the engine!!! ditch the intake and run motorbike carbs or injection! they can be build very cheaply and make as good power as running ITB's.

thanks chris.
Chris...I would possibly do that eventually, but definately not right away. I have a feeling this thing will be cut up worse than a Gitmo detainee trying to escape, more than once. In other words...it's probably gonna be a test bed that continues to evolve as it seems so many of these locost do.

I just got Ron Champion's book yesterday (horay!) but haven't had much time to read it yet. Yes...there are some good resources out there as far as frame strengthening. I might even go up from the book's 1" tube to 1.25" tube and could possibly go over to Round tube vs. square, or a combination of both. I'm not sure yet.

SCCA autocross classing is pretty straight forward. Weight, displacement, minimal aero, and you're set.

Like I said...I think the easiest way to meet the weight breaks, and since I know I can tune and adjust an Ecotec with HPT, is to go the GM route and use an Ecotec with a blower. Of course...NOTHING, is set in stone.

BTW, I have to admire you Brits for your motorcar knowledge. You definately have some different ways of thinking over there across the pond. If you're in the state's (especially Maryland) sometime...let me know that way I can buy ya a pint!

99, same thing goes for you too.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Chris...I would possibly do that eventually, but definately not right away. I have a feeling this thing will be cut up worse than a Gitmo detainee trying to escape, more than once. In other words...it's probably gonna be a test bed that continues to evolve as it seems so many of these locost do.

I just got Ron Champion's book yesterday (horay!) but haven't had much time to read it yet. Yes...there are some good resources out there as far as frame strengthening. I might even go up from the book's 1" tube to 1.25" tube and could possibly go over to Round tube vs. square, or a combination of both. I'm not sure yet.

SCCA autocross classing is pretty straight forward. Weight, displacement, minimal aero, and you're set.

Like I said...I think the easiest way to meet the weight breaks, and since I know I can tune and adjust an Ecotec with HPT, is to go the GM route and use an Ecotec with a blower. Of course...NOTHING, is set in stone.

BTW, I have to admire you Brits for your motorcar knowledge. You definately have some different ways of thinking over there across the pond. If you're in the state's (especially Maryland) sometime...let me know that way I can buy ya a pint!

99, same thing goes for you too.
Thanks alot mate! nice to see that some pople on here are not stuck in their ways and actually like to here how others do stuff! (sorry a guy on the FI section is p!ssing me off)

well if you want any links or sites or anyhting to uk built 7 style car just give us a PM or post on here. i, and im sure others, will be more than happy to put in some kind of direction.

and if im in the bit of the world i will pop in for a piant mate!

Chris.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Will do man. Yeah, I guess I really should start reading the "righthand drive" seven boards too.

Gotta love your backwards spellings too. Ron Champion's Book is driving me nuts with tyres instead of tires...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

yhting to uk built 7 style car just give us a PM or post on here. i, and im sure others, will be more than happy to put in some kind of direction.
Chris, I'm very interested in some UK 7 links if you could PM me some of what you've got.

I've been toying with the idea of one of these cars myself. The Ecotec idea is brilliant/different enough to really strike my fancy as well...

Very interesting thread, and to the top it goes.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I haven't read the thread in its entirety, but I saw you ruled out the ecotec with the t56. I found this link today though, and thought you might be interested in it.

A company called Keisler Engineering mates the ecotect 2.2 with a Tremec TKO-600 transmission.

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...smission_mate/
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dotstereo
I haven't read the thread in its entirety, but I saw you ruled out the ecotec with the t56. I found this link today though, and thought you might be interested in it.

A company called Keisler Engineering mates the ecotect 2.2 with a Tremec TKO-600 transmission.

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...smission_mate/
i have heard some very nice things about the TKo box, but the are exspensive!!!

over here its easier/cheaper to go with the old type 9 ford box for anyhting NA as the torque is not enough to break the box. with the light weight of these cars the boses last for ages!

there is a guy with a TVR (basicaly a big 7 lol) that has a ls6 in there with a TKO (ran one cos he could get a 56 to fit!!) and things there are really strong.

i think they are a bit overkill in a 1100lbs car making less than 300bhp and 300lbsft. but if you want a real race box then go for it!

also has anyone looked at the quafie site?? they do some VERY nice Type 9 boxes, inc a full 6speed sequential i think

thanks Chris.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:15 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Sequential equals mass $$$$$$!!!! NOT something I want to be doing. I'll take a dog box over that any day of the week, and rebuild the dog box many times before dropping coin on a quafie box. :puke:

dotstero. Thanks for the link...I'll check it @ lunch. I still don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm back and forth between an LS1 and an ecotec supercharged now.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
Chris, I'm very interested in some UK 7 links if you could PM me some of what you've got.

I've been toying with the idea of one of these cars myself. The Ecotec idea is brilliant/different enough to really strike my fancy as well...

Very interesting thread, and to the top it goes.
****...didn't even see this post earlier. I will keep yall posted, as this progresses. IT WILL happen...I just don't have a clue as to when. I'm hoping with in 6 months, I'll be cutting and building but you know how things like that go.

EDIT: BTW, if you're on this thread and on the west side of the pond...le me know where you are if you're planning on doing this as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everything I've read about the TKO boxes has been positive.

Also look at http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Old 12-04-2006, 06:10 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 99c5vert
Everything I've read about the TKO boxes has been positive.

Also look at http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
If you have 7 links, or ideas, just post 'em up, no need to PM 'em.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

sorry sb427f-car didn't want to upset anyone.

my PC at home has died so i have lost all my links and stuff! aarrgghhh!!!

try googling "7", caterham, locost, westfield, dax, tiger R6, etc etc, with UK at the end and see what you get. mioght not be much use but you might get some niffty ideas of what us guys (well not me yet! lol) are doing.

also have a looksy on...........

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=30&h=0

very good bunch of guys and there will be a load of info and ideas on there.

hope this helps you guys, and please keep us posted with what your ideas are!

thanks Chris.

PS sb427f-car go ecotec mate! will be much eaiser to fit in the car than a LS1 and wont make the front end TOO heavy!

ooooorrr you could go for something like this!! heheehe

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-z100-main.php
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Now that's wild. But definately not going that route.

Well...I think I'm going to do a McSorely +442 frame (4 inches wider and longer, 2 inches taller between the top and bottom framerails). Because, I might track this thing some, I might want that big tq curve from a v-8. I don't know yet. I really don't know.

I don't know how serious I want to auto-x this thing, and how much I want to drive it on the street. I still haven't made up my mind yet, but the reading and planning is a blast! Maybe I'll build the first one with the v-8 and then the second one with a 4 for auto-x.

Quick Reply: Ecotec + T56?