Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecotec + T56?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
If you have 7 links, or ideas, just post 'em up, no need to PM 'em.
[cough] www.usa7s.com [/cough]

As chuntington101 said above, go with Ecotec on your first car. I'd stick with a 5 speed - T56 is way too big, and even a standard T5 should handle a lightly modded Ecotec in a 1200 lb car.

I was really looking to go with that engine instead of the LS1, but 18 months ago, there weren't any practical bellhousing solutions that I could buy off the shelf.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 99c5vert

As chuntington101 said above, go with Ecotec on your first car. I'd stick with a 5 speed - T56 is way too big, and even a standard T5 should handle a lightly modded Ecotec in a 1200 lb car.

I was really looking to go with that engine instead of the LS1, but 18 months ago, there weren't any practical bellhousing solutions that I could buy off the shelf.
What solutions are available now to put anything other than the Solstice trans behind te Ecotec in a RWD configuration?

Andrew
Old 12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What solutions are available now to put anything other than the Solstice trans behind te Ecotec in a RWD configuration?

Andrew
Not sure... Once I stuffed a LS1 in there, I stopped looking

I'm keeping myself busy these days trying to stuff some long tube headers in there (at least in my head)... I got a good deal on a set of AFR 205 heads and G5X2 112lsa Cam and injectors.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9c5vert got any pics or links to your car???

sb427f-car, you going soft on me?? (and not in that way! lol) thought you liked the idea of a bike engines? well whats better then one? two!

the same company also did a 4WD version using the 1000cc units i think. did 0-60mph in under 3 seocnds! had some problems with the traction so had to go to a little company call MoTec for a traction controle unit for the front engine. lol

also there are a few turbo charged Suzuki Busa engined Dax cars running about. one exapmle has won loads of stuff at hillclim and sprint events. it has even beat full specials (like mini F1 cars!!!). think he was putting out about 350bhp and looking for a bit more power and a bit more squat last time i checked.

thanks Chris.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by chuntington101

sb427f-car, you going soft on me?? (and not in that way! lol) thought you liked the idea of a bike engines? well whats better then one? two!

the same company also did a 4WD version using the 1000cc units i think. did 0-60mph in under 3 seocnds! had some problems with the traction so had to go to a little company call MoTec for a traction controle unit for the front engine. lol

also there are a few turbo charged Suzuki Busa engined Dax cars running about. one exapmle has won loads of stuff at hillclim and sprint events. it has even beat full specials (like mini F1 cars!!!). think he was putting out about 350bhp and looking for a bit more power and a bit more squat last time i checked.

thanks Chris.
Chris...the problem is, bike engines are not allowed in SCCA classes (unless you run some of the exotic classes). I don't want to get into that mess, and also NOT have reverse. This will be driven on the road, so that's a HUGE problem.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I'm back and forth, half of me wants to do the Ecotec, the other the LSx. I'm thinking about all the intangbles like wiring harnesses and what not that goes into an LS vs. the Eco. I know the support is there from people like painless, and what not for the LSX but the Ecotec? Dunno yet.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

sweet thread, id love to tackle somin like this one day but for now il just look on, one thing tho-
Originally Posted by Cop Car
the T56 is 100 lbs more than a T5
that cant be true can it? doesnt the t56 weigh like 140? how could a t5 weigh only 40lbs?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
sweet thread, id love to tackle somin like this one day but for now il just look on, one thing tho-

that cant be true can it? doesnt the t56 weigh like 140? how could a t5 weigh only 40lbs?
:iagree: T56 is only 30 lbs heavier than a TKO 500... there is no way it's 100 lbs more than T5.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks Chris.
See posts #1, and #8 here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=short+vid

Old 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm back and forth, half of me wants to do the Ecotec, the other the LSx. I'm thinking about all the intangbles like wiring harnesses and what not that goes into an LS vs. the Eco. I know the support is there from people like painless, and what not for the LSX but the Ecotec? Dunno yet.
It's a tough decision. Both ways have their merit. The smaller the engine, the more satisfying it is to rev the **** out of it. The closer you get to the LS1, the more satisfying it is to watch the other guy shift like he's sawing wood, while you just put the pedal down at 2000 RPM and put out all the torque your tires can handle.

Can't go wrong either way.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

It's a tough decision. Both ways have their merit. The smaller the engine, the more satisfying it is to rev the **** out of it. The closer you get to the LS1, the more satisfying it is to watch the other guy shift like he's sawing wood, while you just put the pedal down at 2000 RPM and put out all the torque your tires can handle.

Can't go wrong either way.
Yeah, plus...there's that whole v-8 sound thing... This maybe my way to get an LS1 on the road for under 10 large and NOT have insurance kill me. Plus, it'll be the prefect "street" rod kinda thing.

I know one thing...I do plan on a petty bar (removeable), some good seats, and a well built "halo". This is the only type of open air car that I've EVER really liked (I'm not a roadster or 'vert kinda guy). Frame, motor and appropriate systems, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, steering wheel, driver, passanger optional. This will ONLY be a driving car. No radio, no heat, definately NO AC!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Yeah, plus...there's that whole v-8 sound thing... This maybe my way to get an LS1 on the road for under 10 large and NOT have insurance kill me. Plus, it'll be the prefect "street" rod kinda thing.

I know one thing...I do plan on a petty bar (removeable), some good seats, and a well built "halo". This is the only type of open air car that I've EVER really liked (I'm not a roadster or 'vert kinda guy). Frame, motor and appropriate systems, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, steering wheel, driver, passanger optional. This will ONLY be a driving car. No radio, no heat, definately NO AC!
The Ariel Atom is a pretty sweet open car as well.

Andrew
Old 12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Andrew
Dunno what that is...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dunno what that is...
Think of it as a mid-engined Seven... it's pretty sweet, but even less practical than a Seven.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Think of it as a mid-engined Seven... it's pretty sweet, but even less practical than a Seven.
Well...on the levels of practicality, I don't put a 7 on a high level.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Andrew
Nice...just it. It's a bike engined car though.

Ugh...I need to decide which direcion I'm going with this, figure out parts sourcing (metal I've got figured out, even have a buddy that does welding for work, so we'll tig the frame). Oy...This is driving me batty, but in a fun way.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

hummmmm i think i have a new idea for a westfield SEIGHT!! lol

seriouly though, nice build mate! how much of a ball ache was it to get it in and working???

Chris.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

yeah those ariel atom's are pretty sick, how bout the 'T-rex' I havnt seen anything on it in a few years but im sure google knows whats good
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Nice...just it. It's a bike engined car though.

Ugh...I need to decide which direcion I'm going with this, figure out parts sourcing (metal I've got figured out, even have a buddy that does welding for work, so we'll tig the frame). Oy...This is driving me batty, but in a fun way.
sorry mate, but the Atom hasn't seen a bike engine!

it used to use a Rover 1.8 Kseries (lovely little motor lol) and now uses a Honda KA20 (i think thats the number for it lol). and you can get them with a supercharger to make over 300bhp!! thats not bad in a 550kg (1210lbs). pretty fast to!

i know what you mean about the bike engines, and i was only hilighting a few exapmles of what can be done. they are ever exstreme but we get used to them over here! lol also revers isn;t all that are to dothese days! you can get rear ends that have a reverse gear built into them (quiet exspenive!) and they are really light to.

im starting to think about it and i love the idea of a LS1 in a 7. you have to go for it. the biggest problem i think you will have is trying to lay down all that power and torque. id spend a lot of time looking into how to build some squat into the back end if you do decide to go that way!

have a google for the westfield SEight was a road legal V8 monster over here back in the 90's. only had 250ish bhp but was mental. the carb version used to shot fuel out the quad downdraght carbs straight into your face! lol

thanks CHris.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

sorry mate, but the Atom hasn't seen a bike engine!

it used to use a Rover 1.8 Kseries (lovely little motor lol) and now uses a Honda KA20 (i think thats the number for it lol). and you can get them with a supercharger to make over 300bhp!! thats not bad in a 550kg (1210lbs). pretty fast to!

i know what you mean about the bike engines, and i was only hilighting a few exapmles of what can be done. they are ever exstreme but we get used to them over here! lol also revers isn;t all that are to dothese days! you can get rear ends that have a reverse gear built into them (quiet exspenive!) and they are really light to.

im starting to think about it and i love the idea of a LS1 in a 7. you have to go for it. the biggest problem i think you will have is trying to lay down all that power and torque. id spend a lot of time looking into how to build some squat into the back end if you do decide to go that way!

have a google for the westfield SEight was a road legal V8 monster over here back in the 90's. only had 250ish bhp but was mental. the carb version used to shot fuel out the quad downdraght carbs straight into your face! lol

thanks CHris.
WELL...for my 2000th post...I'd like to thank the contributers to this thread...you've been awesome so far (keep the inputs coming)...To the tech family, it's been a good ride for the last 2 years. This is the first board I've eclipsed the 2k post mark on. It kinda feels good...

Anyways, back on topic...I just looked @ it quickly Chris...so oops on the powerplant...

As far as doing this car, I know I want to build a halo on it, it will have cycle fenders, I one piece bonnet/nose cone, probably go with a set of quality road race seats (though a little pricey, I want something I can put my *** in), will be doing my own pedal box I think floor mounted, Good brakes. As far as suspension, I don't care about road noise, clank, or a bit of a harsh ride, so I'd just do quality rod ends and ball joints throughout. I've ruled out doing an IRS, wayyy to complicated, plus heavier. So with that, live axle it is, and I'll take the time to do a 3 link with a panhard bar with adjustability built into the system.

Eventually, things would be upgraded like the gear box to be able to shift clutchless, go to a torsen rearend, ect.

Quick Reply: Ecotec + T56?