Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecotec + T56?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecotec + T56?

I'm trying to do some VERY early info research on a project. I'm tired of not having a car that I can mess with, run hard, and do for relatively affordable dollar amounts so....

I'm thinking about doing a Lotus Super 7 replica. Ordered the books yesterday, just waiting on them to arrive now. I thought about doing a build with a bike engine, but after a little bit of discussion, it appears that's out to be able to the car in either D or E Mod SCCA Solo events. Has to be production based CAR engine.

I could do the obvious thing and go with a T-5 or yank the drivetrain from a soltice but, since there's the chance that I would be upgrading on this build all the time depending upon rules changes, bordem, ect.

I don't know where this is going...but does anyone know if a bell housing exists for an Ecotec and a T-56? It's probably over kill (and over weight), but we'll see...
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go T5!!! they are much smaller and esier to fit in the very tight 7 chassis. and they are very well proven in them

also there are a million and ratios for them and they are pretty strong (upto about 500bhp on turbo Cossy 2.0ltr unit).

oh and if you want any hints or tips, speack to these guys as they will have loads of info for you!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=30&h=0

thanks Chris.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by chuntington101
go T5!!! they are much smaller and esier to fit in the very tight 7 chassis. and they are very well proven in them

also there are a million and ratios for them and they are pretty strong (upto about 500bhp on turbo Cossy 2.0ltr unit).

oh and if you want any hints or tips, speack to these guys as they will have loads of info for you!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=30&h=0

thanks Chris.
I'm already on Locostusa.com

Like I said...I dunno where this car is going, or IF it's going, but I've ordered "The Book" for it. I really need my own place (read out of the parent's house) but I am itching for a project to. Another option is an SRT-4 motor and a 6spd out of a Jeep liberty. Being 6'1" 230+ I'll probably be building at least a +4-4 chassis (4 longer, 4 wider). But, we'll see.

Oxymoron: Budget Project Car.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Hum...looks like I can do an SRT-4 powered, Jeep Liberty car and put it into D-Mod.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

I agree on the T5. I think there's a bellhousing already available. There was a kit car build-up something-cat where one of the companies made a special belhousing for the T56. I think the T56 is too big and heavy and $$$ for a 4 cylinder build.

So does a SRT-4 bolt to a jeep trans? Any resorces onlone?

--JMarsa
Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it would have a hard time turning anything more than 4:10 gears. alot of rotating mass for a lightweight high revving motor.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I would look for something lighter.
I dont know how hardcore you want to go, but there is a guy on here with a 7 replica that has an LS1 in it.
Take a look at the new turbo ecotec (the on in the solstice GXP).
Old 11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yeah I would look for something lighter.
I dont know how hardcore you want to go, but there is a guy on here with a 7 replica that has an LS1 in it.
Take a look at the new turbo ecotec (the on in the solstice GXP).
Already talking with him, yes.

Turbo Ecotech, is a posibility.

Yes the 2.4 SRT-4 motor does bolt to a Liberty trans as they put 2.4s in the liberty in diesel form I do believe.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, it's me!

T56 is massive... that's what I have, with 4:10 gears.

I do use 1st gear out of habit, but really don't have to. with R compound 225's, i can easily smoke 'em in 2nd from about 1500 RPM, and hit about 64 MPH at the top of 2nd. 6th gear is nice for 75+ MPH cruising - keeps the exhaust quiet, since it's next to my ear.

You gotta decide if you want to run DMod or EMod - or if you even want to compete for a points championship, vs. just run for fun.

Most Sevens run DMod, and due to the nature of the class, there are some highly modded cars in there. Look here... http://www.usa7s.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=282

It would've been nice to go with a smaller, quicker shifting tranny.

I've only heard good things about the ECOTEC. When I did my conversion, I REALLY looked into it. I saw the article that mentioned the ECOTEC / T56 bellhousing, and contacted that company, but I think that was a one-off. It was not available for sale a year ago. maybe it is today.

If it's going to be made for autox, make weight the primary consideration.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh, and also, for autox, you maybe better off without a turbo.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Road and Track did a road test of a Caterham Super 7 (I think) with the 268 hp Cosworth engine fairly recently. Don't know if was a press mule, but while in their possesion, it broke the differential mounting ears off. Too much power in something weighing 1,500 or so pounds may need some beefing up for drag racing or the same.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:30 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I just found that thread on my own accord (great minds think alike?).

Basically, this thing would get run hard at auto crosses, but with a modular sense in mind that if I ever wanted to GET competative, I could change powerplant/train.

Three things I'm keeping in mind that are MUSTS:

1) Budget: realistically it's probably gonna be <5000 all said and done, with my own fab on the chassis. Realistic goal I think from the primliminary things I've read. Granted, things can be chopped, cut and rebuilt eventually, and this won't happen overnight.
2) Have to drive it on the road with title, plate and insurance. I don't have a means to trailer the car, nor do I want to.
3) I want to fit into some class, be it D or Emod or Street Mod, or something where I could maybe collect a trophy or two in a local series up here in Northern Maryland. (If the series still exists by the time I get this thing done). Most importantly, I'm just gonna run the **** out of it, have fun, and try and improve my driving skills.

4th goal is to really have this accomplished in a rolling and moving form in about a year and a half's time (from first cut to first event) or sooner.

In my mind, all of these are reasonable WITH the proper planning, determination.

And again, I'm still considering the bike engine route. I'm not planning on going to nationals, just not gonna happen @ this point in my life...hey, maybe WAYYYYYYYYY on down the road or something, but definately not now.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by patrick_rodgers
Road and Track did a road test of a Caterham Super 7 (I think) with the 268 hp Cosworth engine fairly recently. Don't know if was a press mule, but while in their possesion, it broke the differential mounting ears off. Too much power in something weighing 1,500 or so pounds may need some beefing up for drag racing or the same.
Caterham Super 7s are nice cars...but totaly over my budget.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

the T56 is 100 lbs more than a T5

the T56 bolts up to a ecotech, because the Solsctaces use T56s in them, so if it comes to worst case senario you could go to GM and buy a bell housing.

IMO turbo Ecotech with T5
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Teching In

solstice is a 5 speed manual if im not mistakinn..not a t56 6 speed
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by energ
solstice is a 5 speed manual if im not mistakinn..not a t56 6 speed
You are correct. If they were a 6spd...I wouldn't have started this thread sall good though.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Good lord...what am I getting myself into...

I've just come to a realisation from the thread that 99c5vert posted, I'm going about this the wrong way.

I just want something for one or two seasons I can go out, beat the hell out of, if it breaks, fine, if I beat some people, fine, but I want to improve my driving.

Soooooooooooooooooooo...I'm thinking I might be back to the bike motor.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Good lord...what am I getting myself into...

I've just come to a realisation from the thread that 99c5vert posted, I'm going about this the wrong way.

I just want something for one or two seasons I can go out, beat the hell out of, if it breaks, fine, if I beat some people, fine, but I want to improve my driving.

Soooooooooooooooooooo...I'm thinking I might be back to the bike motor.
:yesnod:

IMO, unless you're after a national championship, build YOUR "Ultimate" car, and enjoy it.

The best way to enjoy autocrosses is to go to autocross schools (Brian Garfield puts on really good ones in Aberdeen). You pay about $160, but you get many runs (about 30-40).

Also, in case you get bored with autocross, build your car with the proper roll bar so you can at least attend track days... Summit Point has Fridays at the Track, where you can run without "racing"
Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

well then, i stand corrected, in the concept they used a T56, and i thought they kept it for production.. oh well. is the GXP a 5 speed or is a T56?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like to do this: Superstalker (Link Clicky)

That's one mean car using the L67 V6.

Quick Reply: Ecotec + T56?