Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Trans AM LS1 swap video

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 87 Trans AM LS1 swap video

Hey everyone. I know I just posted this in the multimedia section, but since most of you guys helped me during my swap, I wanted to post it in here so you'd see it. Let me know what you think! Its my first try at making a video...so I hope you like it!

http://www.vidilife.com/index.cfm?f=...50-4816-93D0-1

Justin
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks damn good. Sounds great. I'm fiending to do a 3rd gen swap after I sold my 89 Formula 350. I'm keeping my eyes open for rollers right now. About how long did it take start to finish?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Took me about 3 months roughly. And I was only working on it during weeknights. Didnt get any weekends to play with it. Also...I rebuilt the entire car almost. Stripped all the engine bay down, gutted wiring, custom dash, custom A/C system, rebuilt all the suspension, upgraded all the brakes... So I did a lot of extra stuff that some people might not have to do. Also I went from auto to m6...that ate up quite a bit of time.

Honestly, if you had everything essential to do the swap...it could be done in two weeks pretty easy. Especially if you kept it auto. M6 takes alittle work to get the pedals to work correctly etc etc. Just more tweaking. And if you didnt use A/C....oh man that would simplify things sooo much. Basically just bolt the motor in at that point.

I saw a very sweet 88 Formula on my way home yesterday. Looked super clean and straight. It was the light blue color. Even the salad shooter wheels looked good. They had 4400 on the windshield. That'd be a hot little swap/sleeper...

Justin
Old 01-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks BAD ***, what brakes did you use on the front ?
Dale
Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man. Let me say... I LOVE your 2nd gen. Ive been looking for a nice roller in the same year as yours. I didnt have plans to make it as nice as yours. I was more looking for something that was in "decent shape"...fix it aup alittle, drop the LS1 in, and just cruise with it.

As for brakes...those are the brakes off of the 99 Z28 Donar car. Dual piston fronts, and the single piston rears. They dwarf the stock brakes and stopping power is incredible now. It hauls down just as hard as it accelerates. Really balanced the car out. It always out handled the power that the 305 put out. Now its got a ton more power, a ton more braking, and Im noticing the handling faults

Justin
Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

what was wrong with the conv donor
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Driver's side was smashed. Had a nasty encounter with a light pole right behind the drivers door. The floor was all crinkled, and both rear quarters were out of alignment. It was gone for sure... However, previous ownder had 3pt subframe connectors, as well as a 4 point roll cage installed. The ligh pole smacked right into the main hoop when it hit. I think that along with the SFCs helped save the car from further damage, as well as the driver. Still ran and drove perfectly straight. In fact...even the darn top still went up and down without too much of an issue. Due to the car being slightly twisted, you had to pull it over alittle to latch it...

But I gotta say. I drove it back and forth from the storage place a few times before taking it apart, and it was so nice getting in, putting the top down, and cruising the 1/8 mile over to my driveway. haha. Made me alittle sad to tear it apart. But...atleast none of it went to waste. Driveline is in a good home, all the usable body parts were sold as well as the interior and top. Only thing that went off to the yard is what you see left over in the last pic of my video. Just a shell.

Justin
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

very cool video. can't wait to see it out at one of the EPFBA or NJFBOA meets
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

That's one sweet looking TA. Nice job.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

You did a great job. That TA is really nice and you kept everything clean looking.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Nice editing.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Done! Car looks great too!

Pat
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet vid Jusitn!!! You are making me jealous....can't wait to hear mine fire up soon.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Very nice car man, enjoyed the video!

Little note for your next one, make sure you keep the volume of your clips about the same. The engine sounds were all different volumes, and I had my headphones cranked for the good song, then you did that one run and I about went deaf! haha.

More videos to come I hope?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha...yeah Steve I realized that after I watched it with my headphones for the first time. I couldnt figure out a way to make it any better with windows movie maker. I had to either turn one down or the other. I should put a warning in the beginning. haha. Glad you liked it though even if you are alittle deaf now!!

Thanks for the compliments on the car and the video!! I had her out today for a bit. Almost 70 outside today...crazy for January. I was going to get some more footage, but just didnt get time. Probably wont get much more until spring when I fix all the little odds and ends. I might get a better editing program so that I can make the volume levels alittle better and all...

Thanks again!

Justin

Quick Reply: 87 Trans AM LS1 swap video