Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 2nd Gen TA NEED HELP FAST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 2nd Gen TA NEED HELP FAST!!!

So Im doing this engine swap and I bought a set of Motor and transmission mounts to bolt this LS1 into my 79 TA from BRP (Brewers). The only problem is that I got them and they dont seem nearly beefy enough to do this job right. Does anyone know where I can get some good quality (heavy duty) motor and trans mounts to get this project movin again???? Also, does anyone know where I can get an adapter kit for throwing some 12" brakes onto the front end of my 79 bird?? I have the body of the 98 TA that I took the LS1 and T56 out of and so im planning on throwing the big brakes from that onto my 79. I got adapters for the rear brakes already so i only need the adapters for the front brakes. Any info that anyone has for me on this project would be greatly appreciated!!

Brent
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

Theres lots of good brake info on nastyZ28.com.
Good luck with your 79 Dale
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about going through BRP for the 2nd gen T/A motor mounts and t56 crossmember. Whats wrong with them? I would like to know if there are any flaws before I buy them.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How thick are the mounts? What part are you worried about?

I don`t think there are really going to be any available adapters to bolt on the 98 brakes onto your car. It can be done, but you would have to get aftermarket hubs (expensive) or you would have to cut your old rotors down to hubs. I have seen people cut the rotors down and use them as hubs, but a lot of people believe that is unsafe since the rotors are made of cast iron and may not have enough material around the studs if you cut them down, leaving them open to cracking easily.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

The easiest way to get 12" brakes is to do the 3rd gen 1le mod. You need spindles from an 80's full size station wagon and 1le rotors. Everything bolts up and is happy. Need an alignment after though. To use the 4th gen I think there was a guy making an adapter plate of some sort. I am not sure on the details. I did the 1le mod on mine. Works great.

On your rear brakes did the 4th gen stuff just bolt on? Thinking of going that way with mine.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

I have BRP motor mounts and they worked out pretty slick
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice on the brakes. That website nastyZ28.com has some great info on doing exactly what im doing. The new BRP motor mounts I got are significantly thinner than the motor mounts that came on that motor stock which was worrying me. I talked to Phil Brewer of BRP and he made me feel a lot better though. They gaurantee the motor mounts for 5 yrs/50 thousand miles and when the motor mounts are set up interlocking then there is protection in case one motor mount breaks. So that was good to here. And apparently these motor mounts were rigged up for a crate 350 which is 200 lbs heavier than our LS1s. But Im still a little concerned about the thickness of the mounts so if anyone else knows a shop that makes these motor mounts for a second gen please let me know.

In response to the question about the rear brakes bolting on: Yes they will, at least the rear brakes will. BRP makes an adapter for putting the 12" brakes on and it was pretty cheap. I havnt made the switch yet tho, so hopefully it will work.

On another note, has anyone done one of these conversions in california??? Because thats where im signing in from and i am a little worried that my car wont be smogable after i put in this LS1. Does anyone know anything about this or have any advice?
Thanks,
Brent
Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I have read you can pass emissions. You will have to include all of the emissions parts into your swap (EGR, AIR, EVAP solenoid and EVAP pressure sensor on the fuel tank, charcoal canister etc). In California you can pass emissions as long as you swap in an engine from the same class of vehicle, the engine is newer than the vehicle, you keep all the smog stuff, and you only use performance parts with an EO #. Some of the stuff like the fuel tank pressure sensor would be a pain to adapt, but it is possible. I`m not sure how they would actually check to see if you used a fuel tank pressure sensor though, since to see it you would probably have to drop the tank. Maybe some of the California emissions legal swaps will chime in.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Launching!

yes you have to keep every piece of smog equipment from the newer car including the cats and pressurized fuel tank and even the gas tank cap for this to be smog legal in california. although there are plenty of 75 and older birds out there that are just waiting to give up there vins and tags

Quick Reply: LS1 into 2nd Gen TA NEED HELP FAST!!!