Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Vortec in Jeepster Commando

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Vortec in Jeepster Commando - Oil Pan Help - w/pics!

First, this is an excellent knowledge base you all have developed here. Its been really helpful already. Anyway, I'm putting an '07 Vortec 5.3 into a '66 Jeepster Commando and have a question on oil pan compatibility. The truck oil pan really hangs down much too low for my purposes and will be a rock magnet. I'd like to find another one that's 2 or 3 inches higher, but won't sacrifice oil capacity or cause oil starvation on steep inclines and decents. Will the '02 Camaro LS1 pan work for me? Is it compatible with the Vortec and do I need anything else to make it work on this motor (pickup, dipstick, etc.)?

I searched a ton of threads, but didn't really find what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Here's a picture so you can see what I'm concerned with:

Another view:

In case anyone is wondering, this will be backed up with an SM420 (4 speed truck tranny with 7:1 first) and a Dana 300 transfer case with 4:1 gears.

Last edited by AndyM; 01-22-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

yes, the F body pan would be the best solution to your problem. good luck finding one at a resonable price.. everybody wants one haha
Old 01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. That's pretty much the conclusion I had come to. I got everything I need from Pace for $260 delivered. Not too bad, all things considered. The motor is brand new, so I don't mind paying for a new pan.

Now its time to start welding up some suspension links. . . .
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Don't forgert that when you put the F-body oil pan on a truck engine you must use the matching windage tray and oil pump pickup tube. It will fit though, good luck on your project. I just got mine 5.3L project 1950 chevy truck running and I love it!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered all of that with the pan from Pace. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Should be a sweet rig when its done.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to do some measuring and see if the vette oil pan will fit better than the f-body one. It has a lower profile which would give you more ground clearance than the f-bod pan, but is quite a bit wider, so you might not have space between your frame rails. Just figured I'd give you a heads up, so you can do the research before you open the new pan and make it non-returnable.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip on the 'vette pan. I saw a few pics when researching this and thought it was intriguing. It would work out really well if I were still running leaf springs up front. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess), I'm setting up a four-link and my upper suspension links will run on the inside of the frame from behind the motor, almost parallel with the frame rail.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

I bought a 2 piece vette pan, then modifed the oil pickup to work with the 5.3 windege tray and was all happy. Then I found out that the pan is wider then the frame rails

The pan is about 22" wide, wanna buy it??
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

What transmission are you going with?

Quick Reply: 5.3 Vortec in Jeepster Commando