Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kit Car Build with an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit Car Build with an LS1

I mentioned my project over the Introductions and Greetings section. There was a lot of kind enthusiasm and general interest so I figured I'd post more details here.

My 19 year old son and I are tackling a kit car. Our first step was settling on a particular manufacturer and kit. Cobra replicas are far and away the most common kit but there are others. I found Factory Five Racing through the Internet and liked the look of their GTM kit: http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...TM/GTMkit.html.

In addition to the looks, I was also real high on the fact that it used mostly C5 Corvette running gear. The base C5 is such a great car; a kit based on it should be terrific.

Our original plan was to tour the Factory Five shop in December, make a go/no-go decision, then buy a donor car. However, opportunity knocked in the form of a low mileage (45,000) C5 available nearby (Middleton Auto Parts, Fraser MI) for a reasonable price. The body was seriously damaged but the engine ran fine and we liked the folks at Middleton, so we bought it. Pictures attached.

It was a little strange owning the donor before we were certain we liked the kit but our back-up plan was to rebuild the C5 if we didn't like the kit. Those worries were short lived as the factory tour was great.

We're at the point of stripping the donor car. My son, in particular, is really enjoying that part of the project. I'll take some more pictures and continue the story in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Kit Car Build with an LS1-corvette03.jpg   Kit Car Build with an LS1-corvette05.jpg   Kit Car Build with an LS1-corvette13.jpg  

Last edited by jmf003; 01-30-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

My son really enjoyed stripping down the Nova parts car I bought. It wasn't a new Corvette but there is a great learning experience in the task. Congratulations on the father/son project.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

**** Yea!!! Dooo Eeeeettttt
Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the FF GTM is mid-engined, you'll need to buy a transaxle; Porsche G50 is it not? Anyway, figure in some money for that, as it will require flipping it over and getting the oiling to work. That C5 gets you the motor and harness, and some suspension pieces (brakes, et al). You could probably E-bay the stuff you don't use, and get back some of your money.

Father-Son car project; great bonding tool!

Andy1
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

That will be sweet I Just painted a LS2 intake for one. if you need parts, a freind of mine sells stuff for the conversion I can PM you his name. He is in Aurburn Hills
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Come to think of it, I need a picture of the C5 wiring harness roughting on the pass side down buy the headlights. and hood light. could I ask for a favor? if so, Thanks!! Need it for botttom of my Sig...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
My son really enjoyed stripping down the Nova parts car I bought. It wasn't a new Corvette but there is a great learning experience in the task. Congratulations on the father/son project.
Yep, same story here BTW, I like the sound of your '62 Nova rebuild. That's got to be a great car.

Originally Posted by Andy1
Since the FF GTM is mid-engined, you'll need to buy a transaxle; Porsche G50 is it not? Anyway, figure in some money for that, as it will require flipping it over and getting the oiling to work. That C5 gets you the motor and harness, and some suspension pieces (brakes, et al). You could probably E-bay the stuff you don't use, and get back some of your money.

Father-Son car project; great bonding tool!

Andy1
Yep, a Porsche G50 installed upside-down and backwards. Kind of amazing that it works. It's too bad that they couldn't have used the C5 tranny but it would have made the back end too long.

As you suggested, it has been a great bonding experience.

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
That will be sweet I Just painted a LS2 intake for one. if you need parts, a freind of mine sells stuff for the conversion I can PM you his name. He is in Aurburn Hills
Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Come to think of it, I need a picture of the C5 wiring harness roughting on the pass side down buy the headlights. and hood light. could I ask for a favor? if so, Thanks!! Need it for botttom of my Sig...
Definitely interested! I'll PM you.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

those are gorgeous cars. can't wait to see the progress. be sure to take plenty of pics
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on taking on this project in a couple years if not sooner. I have to finish my supra project first. Cant wait to get the kit myself! If it takes me a while so be it, my son will be of age to help bring me tools atleast

Since you got the donor car already and assuming you are able to use all the parts needed from the C5 your looking to spend 35-45k. 35k being that you guys are able to do most of the work. Most expensive thing in that project is the G50 and donor car which you already got. Looks like from the pictures most of the parts needed didnt get wrecked. Not to mention if you got a heck of a deal on it, it could be less. The higher side of that figure comes from how much you are going to spend on performance mods. Then wheels come into play as well. But you can use the C5 wheels if you like.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed! If anything I have said isnt accurate please tell me, I dont care to be corrected All my figures comes from research I have done the past 6 months or so. Hope you and your son have fun, I know you will.

Casey
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooohhhhh mmaaannnnnnn...........i would LOVE to do one of those cars! the styling they came up with is just down right MEAN! congrats on the car building father, son duo, can't wait til my sons are old enough to do the same with me.

-Dave-
Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, pretty much everything we needed was in good shape. The only parts we know we need to replace are the radiator and one of the rear view mirrors. We'll probably stumble across other things when we get into the build.

The donor price was decent but not incredible. Around $9,500. I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. Some builders paid a few thousand less for their donors but it was worth my peace of mind to be able to start the engine and listen to it run. As it turns out, though, we're going to sell that engine and use a different one.

With 345 HP in a stock LS1 pushing just 2,200 lbs of car (dry weight), the car is supposed to scoot along pretty quickly to begin with. Quoted times are 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds.

But with the engine pulled from the Vette and attached to an engine stand, it was just begging to be modified. We were sorting through our options--cams, heads, start over with an LS2 block, etc.--when I found an already built LS1 being advertised in the LS1 Tech Classifieds. It had fewer miles on the engine block and the build was done by a quality southeast Michigan tuner, Stenod Performance. The seller was also a good guy and we were able to find a price that worked for both of us.

I'm hoping to sell the unmodified engine and the other Vette parts that we don't need to reduce our total cost. We are planning to use the C5 wheels for starters.

Thanks for writing,

John

Originally Posted by turbo
I plan on taking on this project in a couple years if not sooner. I have to finish my supra project first. Cant wait to get the kit myself! If it takes me a while so be it, my son will be of age to help bring me tools atleast

Since you got the donor car already and assuming you are able to use all the parts needed from the C5 your looking to spend 35-45k. 35k being that you guys are able to do most of the work. Most expensive thing in that project is the G50 and donor car which you already got. Looks like from the pictures most of the parts needed didnt get wrecked. Not to mention if you got a heck of a deal on it, it could be less. The higher side of that figure comes from how much you are going to spend on performance mods. Then wheels come into play as well. But you can use the C5 wheels if you like.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed! If anything I have said isnt accurate please tell me, I dont care to be corrected All my figures comes from research I have done the past 6 months or so. Hope you and your son have fun, I know you will.

Casey
Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

John,

where are you located?
I have built 2 FFR Roadsters, someday I will build a GTM as well.
have you been to the FFCobra website? plenty of help there as there's a forum full of GTM builders.

good luck and take plenty of pictures !
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Exclamation Factory Five

Ten years ago, I built Factory Five's 180th Cobra kit. It went together in 11 weeks, less paint. I have been folowing the Facrory Five line to this day, and think they have the best kits for the buck!!
Bill
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

I might have to do one of these instead of the RX7 build. That car looks amazing!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome project!! i see your local too, would love to see that thing on the road someday
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have finished interior pics of this car? i wanna see the inside when its finished
Old 02-01-2007, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

there are some floating around the net, its nothing special and its got the quality of a kit car, bare bones. for the money and what not this is a great bang for your buck. the gtm supercar is really a supercar in the effect it will keep up with a brand new z06 and costs about 1/2 the price if you put it together yourself. when i get out of college, and if my gf and i make the right amount of cash, i could be looking into getting one of these kits. it looks amazing, and with a modded motor with a larger h/c setup (thinking like a forged 347 with a trex and afr 205's or small bore 225's) it would really scoot. then add a shot of juice for fun
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hennytime
there are some floating around the net, its nothing special and its got the quality of a kit car, bare bones. for the money and what not this is a great bang for your buck. the gtm supercar is really a supercar in the effect it will keep up with a brand new z06 and costs about 1/2 the price if you put it together yourself. when i get out of college, and if my gf and i make the right amount of cash, i could be looking into getting one of these kits. it looks amazing, and with a modded motor with a larger h/c setup (thinking like a forged 347 with a trex and afr 205's or small bore 225's) it would really scoot. then add a shot of juice for fun
Actually, sitting in a C5, and sitting in the GTM (both of which I have done), there is not much a difference in quality. The Corvette is indeed nicer, but only in very small ways. Less than the difference between a MINI Cooper and a Scion. Or a Mercedes 65 AMG and a Porche GT3.
As for speed, a GTM with a stock ls6 will roast a stock Z06 at a strip. The issue there is weight. The GTM is much, much lighter. On the the track (as opposed to drag racing) the GTM is more of an unknown.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

You can see some interior photos here: http://www.supercars.net/cars/3325.html

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
anyone have finished interior pics of this car? i wanna see the inside when its finished
Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

The GTM interior is better than a lot of kits but it's no production car, that's for sure. The exterior is what the builder makes of it. Rush the prep work and the paint and it's a dog's dinner. Take time and do it right, it can be first class.

Originally Posted by Hennytime
I dunno, "roast" strikes me as bit of a strong statement. The GTM with a 345 HP LS1 runs similar times to a Z06 with a 500 HP LS7. A 500 HP GTM would be definitely faster than a Z06 if you could manage the tire traction issues.

Originally Posted by cford
Actually, sitting in a C5, and sitting in the GTM (both of which I have done), there is not much a difference in quality. The Corvette is indeed nicer, but only in very small ways. Less than the difference between a MINI Cooper and a Scion. Or a Mercedes 65 AMG and a Porche GT3.
As for speed, a GTM with a stock ls6 will roast a stock Z06 at a strip. The issue there is weight. The GTM is much, much lighter. On the the track (as opposed to drag racing) the GTM is more of an unknown.

Quick Reply: Kit Car Build with an LS1