Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?

I have seen some pics from someone here that swapped an LSx into a G-body (Monte Carlo I think) but can't find it now.

I'm looking at a '87 Olds Cutlass Salon and wondering the pit-falls involved with the G-bodies. It has the center console so I would think the tranny swap would be easier.

Worried about the wiring harness install and the actual fitment. Also curious since it has t-tops and not sure of the structural stress with more torque. They seemed to be built like tanks, but looks tend to be deceiving....

I am guessing I would need a stronger rear-end, so I'd appreciate suggestions if it would be required.

Last would be required suspension mods. I would think the LSx would actually be lighter than the original 5.0 4bbl and I intend to make this into a very strong daily driver not a racer, but a suspension tighten up might be in order to eliminate the floaty Olds ride.

I am not a mechanic but mechanically inclined and have plenty of time to play with it if I take it on as a project car (it is actually in great shape to start with).

Any tips? Well, I guess with all of these questions, anyone suggest where I could find a copy of "LSx swaps for dummies"?

Thanks,

Allen
Old 03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

that would be a cool mod. i love the cutlass's i had a 84.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/ https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/667917-ls1-swapping-into-g-body.html

Last edited by JB2wheeler; 03-05-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add on
Old 03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring harness shouldn`t be too bad, theres plenty of info on this forum if you want to rework it yourself, or give speartech or wait4me a call.

You don`t need a stronger rear end, there are a bunch of people running the stock 7.5" rear. Unless you run slicks or drag radials you will spin the tires before you break the rear. If you want to spend some cash you can upgrade to a 8.5" Buick grand national/turbo regal rear end, they are a bolt in, but they go for $500+ usually.

For suspension mods check out the monteSS site, they have lots of suspension info. I didn`t notice a ride height difference going from the 305 to the Iron block/aulm headed 5.3L, but you might with an all aluminum engine.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car sat about an inch higher in the front with the LS1. The swap is easy, if you have some fabrication skills and a welder. You can knotch the frame cross member and use a stock f-body oil pan without modifications. If you run an automatic, you can use the stock shifter as long as the car had an overdrive tranny from the factory. If it didn't, try to find a shifter and console from an 85-88 Monte Carlo SS. They all had overdrive and then the interior would still look stock. Schoenfeld makes headers for a g-body. You will have to go to an electric speedometer or use the speedo driver box made by Abbot Tach. I tryed it for a while but switched to an autometer tach and speedo. They are more reliable. If you have a harness built for the car, have it made long enough to hide the pcm, then you won't have to mount it on the inner fender. It doen't look too good there as you can see in this pic.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

The Cutlass came with factory OD and I intend to go with an auto so I'm guessing it would look dead-on. I never thought about the instruments not working- would have to look at some knock-offs or work arounds to keep the stock interior look. One of the selling points of this car was the instrument cluster on the Salon. It is similar to the '80s Monte Carlo SS lay out, I just like the looks better (inside and out actually).

The goal at the end of the day would be a fully stock looking sleeper (except the dual exhaust exiting from behing both rear wheels). Doubt it would ever see the track, just surprise a few ricers as a very string daily driver!

I have access to the auto hobby-shop and some good friends that are excellent mechanics. This seems like a hugely daunting task- I am asking about the swap for when the original 5.0 and tranny crap out. I was wondering how straight-forward the swap would be for the long haul.

It seems like the older G-bods are a good choice for the host; I've always loved those cars!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i dunnit

look at mine
Attached Thumbnails LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?-2_7_2007-9_21-pm_0002.jpg   LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?-2_7_2007-9_21-pm_0005.jpg   LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?-2_7_2007-9_21-pm_0001.jpg   LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?-2_7_2007-9_23-pm_0005.jpg  
Old 03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

a friend has a 87 442 with a stroked 454 [468?] in it......nice cars for any swap.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put an autometer speedo and tach in mine. They look close to the originals.

Quick Reply: LSx into '87 G-Bod (Olds)?