Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 cranks, fuel pressure is up, ignitors are up 'n running but doesn't start! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 cranks, fuel pressure is up, ignitors are up 'n running but doesn't start! HELP!

I'm currently doing the s14 swap with a 2000 camaro SS LS1 motor. It's using the Camaro original harness with all the necessary plugs. The ignitors are firing, the fuel pressure it up and the fuel pump is running, the engine turns but fails to remain on. I've been told by the shop that the ignitors and fuel feed aren't sycronized, and the MAF sensor could be damaged. Does anyone have any experience with this or have suggestions? I'd like to get my car up and running asap.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

maybe your coil power wire isn't wired to be on at crank and run positions so when you let off the crank it shuts down.. had wiring problems like that on a 86 monte carlo
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check that out. Is there a specific wire that I need to look out for?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i seen other people have that problem in a few threads.
(answers i seen there were)
1: it was a vacuum leak.
2: vats was still there.
i assume "dies" means it just wont run after a few secs or it dont idle?
mine ran like a clock on my first starts and the only things i had wired up was...
1 orange wire-hot for pcm.
1 black wire-ground for pcm
1 purple wire- starter
5 (i think its 5) pink ign wires. i would check to make sure you got all of them.
dark green fuel pump wire. i ran it straight to battery just for the test start.
thats it.
ign wires are...
plug c100 pins A and G
plug c101 pins B and E
plug c105 pin B

pcm power is..
plug c101 G is hot, H is ground.

unlikely but make sure the ign wires are hot during starting and run. some stuff while you turn the key kills the power to some stuff on the car.

i wired the pcm hot and the 5 ign wires to the battery wire on the first crank to know for sure that it ran (ran it for like 5-10 secs). may wanna try that then you'll know if there is a wiring problem or something else. that way you'll know pcm is hot and ign wires are hot and can rule that out.

Last edited by fouz65; 04-03-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

With the VATS killing the car, it'll run for about 2 seconds then die.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Hey thanks for the information. I hope it's not the VATs. A shop (Street & Performance) did the VATs removal for me. I'd hate to send it back >
Old 04-03-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

How long did the engine sit? The injectors in mine gummed up from sitting for two years, took quite a bit to get them unclogged. I had spark, and by using a multimeter, I could see that the injectors were being triggered, but no fuel was coming out. I ended up soaking them overnight in a jar of Seafoam, which freed up enough gunk to get the engine running. Another can of Seafoam in a nearly empty tank, and they did get better. In the end, I would suggest sending them out to be cleaned if that is your problem...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

^ Hey thanks for your info. That's exactly what I've been told by the shop. I just picked up a noid light to make sure the injectors were getting power. If they're staying off then I know it could be the VATS system still in place. But I hope it's the injectors. That way I can go ahead and clean then out or pick up a new set. I'd rather just start new. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks.