Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 86Regal_Pearl
Any cheaper options?

Like, would something for a grand national work?

$189 is a bit more than I want to spend.
Yes, a grand national sender would work fine
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And where can I go to get my harness modified and computer reflashed to have all the emissions stuff deleted/removed?

I haven't come across anything really telling me how to do it myself.

I'm in Atlanta.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Yes, a grand national sender would work fine
Would it supply enough pressure? 60-66 psi?

Also, that link you sent me about repinning the ecu... I didn't quite understand it, man.

Is it that I just need to find the corresponding emissions, egr, evap, o2 pins in the connectors and just pull those pins out?

I thought I needed to modify the bulkhead. How would I tie the bulkhead into the firewall or into the regal's bulkhead?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option to check into for fuel delivery is a later model tank swap such as from an early 90's impala (not wagon) or equivelant. I've seen the caprice/ roadmaster wagon tanks are a nice swap for the el camino. TBI & multi-port pumps are an easy swap out, you just neeed ANY multi-port pump. You probably also want to use the corvette regulator/return fuel filter which will give you 58psi.
Places such as TPIS.com , Howell, or speartech can delete what you don't need from the computer, including VATS.
Don't currently have any suggested names for people modifying harnesses, but as I said before, you don,t have toget all up into your factory bulkhead to connect.You just need fulltime & switched power, then you have outputs to run for fuel pump, starter, gauges, fans if you use computer to controll them.

If trying to do modify a harness your self , you need to somewhat think of it as one wire at a time, many times, rather than looking at the whole thing at one time & getting overwelmed.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

The truck sender is not a dop in piece for a g-body tank. You can buy a drop in sender from racetronix.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...G7W255&eq=&Tp=
You know what?

Now that I've looked around, I think this may be my best bet for a drop in, plug & play, sending unit/pump.

The inline pump that I already bought from Summit is Airtex ATX-E8445 $108.95

It's still in the box, in the bag. I'll just take it back and add $80 to get the Racetronix sending unit/pump that's plug & play.

I don't see any specs on it, how do I know that the Racetronix one will supply enough psi?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

The truck sender is not a dop in piece for a g-body tank. You can buy a drop in sender from racetronix.

Do I really need a Racetronix FPWH-006 fuel pump wiring harness?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the racetronix sending unit with the walbro pump as you posted in the link before. It's a drop in setup for you. Unless you plan to go beyond 600hp the walbro pump will be plenty.

You don't HAVE to get the fuel pump harness but I said screw it and opted for it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the hotwire harness is mandatory. We are dealing with wiring from the mid 80's, not the 2000+.
The Racetronix stuff is awesome.....
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not absolutely necessary to have theirs. I agree you should either buy one or have plans to setup better gauge wire for the pump then relying on 20+ year old wiring on gbody.

Not sure how you plan on going about a fuse block for the engine/harness. I purchased a completed Fuse block from a member here instead of trying to make my own. Considering I didn't have proper crimp tools in hand and the cost it would be for me to purchase all the wire, fuse panel, fuses, relays it was a great deal in my opinion. The fuse block already includes a Fuel Pump relay and fuse. He could upgrade the power wire for the pump for you no problem and the racetronix kit wouldn't be necessary.

Since I had purchased the Racetronix harness well before I bought the fuse block I'm just going to use the racetronix harness.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about external tank options? I'm planning to use a Bosch 044 fuel pump on my Malibu. Sump the tank or?? I have seen those sleeper tanks for Mustangs, has anyone ever done anything like that for a G body??
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Teching In

I guess I got my answer.

****! This is more than I wanted to spend for a pump, &*%$!

Anybody got a Coupon Code?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDMKR496
What about external tank options? I'm planning to use a Bosch 044 fuel pump on my Malibu. Sump the tank or?? I have seen those sleeper tanks for Mustangs, has anyone ever done anything like that for a G body??
I ran a bosch 044 and a sumped tank on mine.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Get the racetronix sending unit with the walbro pump as you posted in the link before. It's a drop in setup for you. Unless you plan to go beyond 600hp the walbro pump will be plenty.

You don't HAVE to get the fuel pump harness but I said screw it and opted for it.

Funny you mention this as I was just over at the Monte Carlo SS site where I was amazed to see john is putting out 660RWHP with the same Walbro GSS340 he started with.

As for me.. So far so good with my set-up as well with the same Walbro GSS340.

Following his lead I also went with the converted Monte TBI tank set-up.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm going to buy a GN tank and run a line from the front along the bottom and into the baffle and feed the pump that way.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

i was planning on putting a fuel cell i have with an external pump in my lq4 swap 88 monte, would an external pump be alright for continuous street duty? i plan on driving the car to epping (4hrs away) during the summer
Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Default Holley Accessory Drive

Just wanted to comment on the Holley front drive kit

- kit uses readily available pumps/pulleys
- has factory appearance
- has all bolts/ hardware needed
- all info needed to source all needed parts

IMO Holley did a great job on this kit, everything fit like a glove and looks great .
A little more exspensive (all said and done) than the CTS-V GM kit, but it brings the A/C pump up high to avoid frame clearance probs
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so this is the sending unit that is needed for the 4.3 FI intank swap correct? I have the gas tank picked out and just wanted to get the sending unit in check as well. I did want to go with an upgraded pump rather than the walbro 255 pump. I know its good for what I want NOW, but I do plan eventually to upgrade my motor to more than 600+ hp and rather have a pump ready in there good for the HP.

Lastly, the hot wire kit, that comes with that link above?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Ok, so this is the sending unit that is needed for the 4.3 FI intank swap correct? I have the gas tank picked out and just wanted to get the sending unit in check as well. I did want to go with an upgraded pump rather than the walbro 255 pump. I know its good for what I want NOW, but I do plan eventually to upgrade my motor to more than 600+ hp and rather have a pump ready in there good for the HP.

Lastly, the hot wire kit, that comes with that link above?
All the turbo regal/grand national fuel senders will fit the monte 4.3 efi tank. The tanks are the same.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...416EAN&eq=&Tp=

This pump seems like the way to go (good to 900hp). They also have a walbro double pumper setup! I dont think the sender and pump originally posted included the "hotwire" harness.

Last edited by bigmandengo; 12-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All the turbo regal/grand national fuel senders will fit the monte 4.3 efi tank. The tanks are the same.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...416EAN&eq=&Tp=

This pump seems like the way to go (good to 900hp). They also have a walbro double pumper setup! I dont think the sender and pump originally posted included the "hotwire" harness.
Yea that is more like it! I'd assume my setup will be 500+ hp so I rather be safe than sorry for when I start to do more than just a cam swap in it.

As for the hotwire harness, I'm probably blind but where is it on the site?

Lastly, for those who say to swap to a GM v6 PS pump pulley, do I do any v6 pulley? I'd like to get that pulley purchased as well so I can start this mock up process next month!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nevermind, I belive I have found it.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...FPWH%2D006&Tp=

Not too bad I guess, 300 for sending unit/pump, 50 for wiring, and 170 for the tank. I don't think that is too bad at all. I do plan to do the SS flexible fuel line with AN fittings as well to match my SS brake lines. Rather do it once and not regret it or have to worry about any lines, EVER! lol

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread