Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that I can finally post in this thread as I'm picking up a 4.8 this coming week for my '87 Monte Carlo LS!

Planning on making this a budget build as I also have an '87 SS that I'm hoping to swap a T56 in this year.

I'll create a build thread once I have the motor in hand and start collecting parts.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks for the help

Guy and girls my build is close to the end, thanks for all the help

I have a build thread at elcaminocentral.com

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=85433
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's our build thread...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/thr...e-mods.398984/
Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said you cant remember the ebay sellers name of your mounts but could you snap a pic of them?

Is there an adapter plate? Using SBC frame pads?

Just did a quick look through your build thread on my phone to see if there was a pic of the mounts, will look again later on laptop.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I have seen several builds now and plan on using my 200r4 with my LS so I want to use 1" setback plates. I see so many people using different accessories and yet see so many posts stating that the alternator hits or power steering hits.
Will C5-C6 corvette accessories work or will the power steering hit the gear box?

I hear the fbody alt hits by many posts, but John B cleared it by 1/2" if I read his build correctly.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Truck brackets fit with 1" setback no problem

I would go with the vette brackets, they pretty much clear everything. Best looking brackets IMO too.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I know this has been asked before but i have a 1985 cutlass. Will my factory power steering pressure hose work on the 5.3 truck power steering pump? And will the power steering pump and pulley clear the steering box? I do have carshopinc 1" setback plates. Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry. I forgot to ask. Is there a factory throttle cable that will work without modifying the accelerator pedal? I have the truck intake and throttle body.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Found the Holley LS front drive system. The Alt and PS are set up in the corvette configuration, but you can do corvette, Fbody or truck spacing.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Default cutlass ls1 swap..

OK guys got a question that's probably answered here but not finding it yet. I found a 98 ls1 out of a WS6 trans am 65,000 original miles. Now I know the LM7 truck pans won't clear my cross member but will this one? I don't want to notch it. And as far as motor mounts I want to use my th 350 so need to keep stock location. Not using a/c. So shouldn't have issues like some other people have had. So needs suggestions on motor mounts and also what I need to use th350 I found a different flex plate on jegs but there's also another thing on there for torque converter alignment thing. Sorry guys I'm not much of a motor guy I mainly to paint and bodywork. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm taking this on myself with very little help other than the wiring stuff and computer tuning.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Ls1 pan and 1" eBay setback plates worked in my regal.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yukonrott
OK guys got a question that's probably answered here but not finding it yet. I found a 98 ls1 out of a WS6 trans am 65,000 original miles. Now I know the LM7 truck pans won't clear my cross member but will this one? I don't want to notch it. And as far as motor mounts I want to use my th 350 so need to keep stock location. Not using a/c. So shouldn't have issues like some other people have had. So needs suggestions on motor mounts and also what I need to use th350 I found a different flex plate on jegs but there's also another thing on there for torque converter alignment thing. Sorry guys I'm not much of a motor guy I mainly to paint and bodywork. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm taking this on myself with very little help other than the wiring stuff and computer tuning.
For the record the LM7 pans will clear the crossmember with 1" setback plates. I have a LM7 in my cutlass pan and all. The possible problem is that it hangs down a solid 2" below the crossmember. Personally I am going to let it ride for now. But I would not recommend straddling objects in the road.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Default I need some clarification.....

Due to circumstances I'm finally getting back to my LS1 swap into a 78 Malibu I started about 10 years ago. I began with fitting a '99 F-body LS1/T56 following John's Monte SS tutorial but that's where I left it. Now that I'm ready and funded John doesn't offer his mounts or AC bracket, not sure about the clutch pedal. Anywho, what I liked about John's swap was that it put the engine as far to the rear of the crossmember and as low to it as possible. I've already had the oil pan and baffle modified. Now for the questions... apologies!

Who offers motor mounts that follow John's design? I've considered putting the clamshells on the engine and SBC mounts on the frame. That would require drilling new holes on the crossmember?

There seems to be quite a few offers for the AC bracket that moves it up to the left front of the engine. Ebay has a vendor that says his is the best for several reasons. http://www.ebay.com/itm/R4-A-C-Reloc...-/160843057360 Does it matter? If so, what to use?

I have the fuel system, electronics (speartech is close), and hopefully the clutch figured out.

BTW, 52 pages is a lot to read!

Thanks,
George
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 78LS1bu
Due to circumstances I'm finally getting back to my LS1 swap into a 78 Malibu I started about 10 years ago. I began with fitting a '99 F-body LS1/T56 following John's Monte SS tutorial but that's where I left it. Now that I'm ready and funded John doesn't offer his mounts or AC bracket, not sure about the clutch pedal. Anywho, what I liked about John's swap was that it put the engine as far to the rear of the crossmember and as low to it as possible. I've already had the oil pan and baffle modified. Now for the questions... apologies!

Who offers motor mounts that follow John's design? I've considered putting the clamshells on the engine and SBC mounts on the frame. That would require drilling new holes on the crossmember?

There seems to be quite a few offers for the AC bracket that moves it up to the left front of the engine. Ebay has a vendor that says his is the best for several reasons. http://www.ebay.com/itm/R4-A-C-Reloc...-/160843057360 Does it matter? If so, what to use?

I have the fuel system, electronics (speartech is close), and hopefully the clutch figured out.

BTW, 52 pages is a lot to read!

Thanks,
George
Many companies make parts now to ease this swap. For motor mounts I used 1" set back adapter plates from Trans Dapt, it puts the T56 Magnum shifter almost to the same spot as the LT1/T56 shifter location I had previously. I am using Pacesetter F body headers, they fit pretty good, had to do some massaging to clear, but not bad. For the AC bracket, look at the cast pieces Holley makes, they mount up high on passenger side & look stock. And for the clutch master cylinder bracket, look for Bernie Duplan over on Montecarloss.com, he sells the clutch bracket & pedal. He designed it, but I drew them up in 3D CAD & have them CNC Plasma cut for him.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple pics of the Holley brackets:

Name:  hly20-133-4.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  155.7 KB

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Since we are on the topic of A/C...

Can anyone detail what has to be done to adapt the stock LS1 F-body accessories, specifically the A/C compressor to fit the G-body A/C system (ie. custom lines, evaporators, dryers, condensors, etc)?

I am aware of the need to notch the crossmember/cradle to fit the compressor in the low-mount position.

As well as how to wire it all up?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just needed custom lines. Its easier if you use a condensor off a cutlass as it has the fittings on the passenger side so the lines are shorter and less clutter in the engine bay, but the condensor with drivers side fittings can be used also. You can used the stock evaporator and dryer. Wiring depends on your PCM, the 99-02/3ish trucks are easiest as they use the same basic low pressure switch setup.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
I just needed custom lines. Its easier if you use a condensor off a cutlass as it has the fittings on the passenger side so the lines are shorter and less clutter in the engine bay, but the condensor with drivers side fittings can be used also. You can used the stock evaporator and dryer. Wiring depends on your PCM, the 99-02/3ish trucks are easiest as they use the same basic low pressure switch setup.
Any write ups on the wiring? I'm using stock GN stuff + truck motor/compressor/wiring...

For the lines i was just going to have custom made, still need to find truck compressor lines to steal the fittings from though
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Any write ups on the wiring? I'm using stock GN stuff + truck motor/compressor/wiring...

For the lines i was just going to have custom made, still need to find truck compressor lines to steal the fittings from though
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17827202-post7.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17716199-post10.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-solution.html

Does that help?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G-Body
I just needed custom lines.
And where did you source these magic lines from?

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread