Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring OBD-II using GM pinouts or using Nissan/import pinouts? emission questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring OBD-II using GM pinouts or using Nissan/import pinouts? emission questions

It looks like gm and Nissan uses different pin outs for their obd-II connections. My main concern is the serial data link pin out. I'm just wrapping up my car and just thought if it even matters which pin out system you use. all i know is their tool checks weather there are any codes present and all systems are ready and also their is no MIL light on.

My question is if the emissions tools they use just try to seach the 3 different styles of obd-2 and see weather it can connect.

I've wired the MIL light on
My engine supplier turned off
REAR 02
EGR
AIR PUMP
VATS

My ls1 is from a 2001 ws6 and I put it in my 1998 240sx.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

You will want to wire it for the GM. If remember correctly the Nissan connector should have the serial link AND some additional wires for their propriatary Computer interface. The name escapes me at the moment.

Most code readers can try the the 3 different communication types. Mine does anyway.

Originally Posted by ronald so
It looks like gm and Nissan uses different pin outs for their obd-II connections. My main concern is the serial data link pin out. I'm just wrapping up my car and just thought if it even matters which pin out system you use. all i know is their tool checks weather there are any codes present and all systems are ready and also their is no MIL light on.

My question is if the emissions tools they use just try to seach the 3 different styles of obd-2 and see weather it can connect.

I've wired the MIL light on
My engine supplier turned off
REAR 02
EGR
AIR PUMP
VATS

My ls1 is from a 2001 ws6 and I put it in my 1998 240sx.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

actually nissan's have a completely separate plug for their proprietary diagnostic program. its located inside the drivers footwell fuse box.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thaniel
AND some additional wires for their propriatary Computer interface. The name escapes me at the moment.

CONSULT????!!!???
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
CONSULT????!!!???
Yah Consult that's it. My nissan engine is a 2000. It has the consult and OBDII in the same plug.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thaniel
Yah Consult that's it. My nissan engine is a 2000. It has the consult and OBDII in the same plug.

damn...small world...or small internet world...i remember reading bout ur rx7 years ago on maxima.org....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
damn...small world...or small internet world...i remember reading bout ur rx7 years ago on maxima.org....
Building that car was fun. Still have it. It's a pretty fun car. Pitty it is so small.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

just repin the nissan connector to the GM spec. you MUST do this. they use different forms of data transfer.

its very easy to do, i literally just did it 5 minutes ago to my OBD2 plug haha

on the top of the connector there is a little whire flap, pry it open gently with a small screwdriver. then from the front with the same small screw driver (really small here) lift up the locking tab on the wire. it will slide right out from the back.

move it to pin 2, it will snap into place, then close the flap on the top.

Quick Reply: Wiring OBD-II using GM pinouts or using Nissan/import pinouts? emission questions