Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiero with ls1 or ls2

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiero with ls1 or ls2

Hi every one my name is Derek im from Tx but im know living in Quebec CAN. but anyways im a fiero fan since i was 12 and im 21 now i have had 2 gt fast backs and got betten by every think but i still love these cars so know im making better money and doing a new project im putting in a v8 but not sure if its going to be "LS1 OR LS2" please give me some help I found the eng. for sale but they dont come with ' starter, water pump, altanator, and pullys but im also wanting to put on the supercharger if yall can help me find the sites and give me ideas that would be great thank

Derek
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many V8 or V6 swap going on for the Fiero.. there have been a few post on the forum, just seach for them. You will also find a lot of information and site on the Internet (yahoo or Google search)

Archies seem to be a good one, http://www.v8archie.com/v8fiero.htm

also check out some of the Fiero sites. http://alansfiero.ls1swap.com/

but do your research and then maybe as specific question about the LS1 in the forum.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

The series II 3800 supercharged GTP swap is a direct boltin. Everything fits the way it should. No custom parts need to be made and you end up with a better running car. Its cool to say you have an LS1 or LS2 in your fiero but the money and time spent trying to get everything to mesh properly isn't worth it. I installed that swap into a 85 fiero gt owned by a close friend and it is quite fast. Bone stock 3800 GTP swap with an automatic ran as quick as 12.75 @ 106. The car a few months later was taken to Intense in Ohio and they installed a Stage 1 cam, 1.75 ratio rockers, headers, 2.8 inch supercharger pulley, and a pcm tune. It dyno'd 313whp and then ran a 12.17@112 at Keystone Dragway in PA. The car was bought for 200 bucks, 1000 bucks for the swap out of a wrecked Grand Prix, and 1000 bucks worth of performance parts. Its not an LS1 but you cannot deny the performance. That's ZO6 territory for 2200 bucks. Just my .02.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kong - You many not have had to use the Smog equipment off of the 3800, but would you know what extra equipment would be needed other that EGR/AIR/CATs/etc..?.. are there an other sensor like in the tank, BCM's or any other item that would be needed to do a California legal (smogged) swap ?

I have a 87 2.8L/A3 and may consider this swap.

thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/tom_killgo.htm
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Check out http://www.fiero.nl and do lots of reading on the forum.
The Fiero trans won't last long if abused.

Not an LS1, but worth looking at.
http://fieroaddiction.com/SBCTa.html
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by for_ever_fiero
Hi every one my name is Derek im from Tx but im know living in Quebec CAN. but anyways im a fiero fan since i was 12 and im 21 now i have had 2 gt fast backs and got betten by every think but i still love these cars so know im making better money and doing a new project im putting in a v8 but not sure if its going to be "LS1 OR LS2" please give me some help I found the eng. for sale but they dont come with ' starter, water pump, altanator, and pullys but im also wanting to put on the supercharger if yall can help me find the sites and give me ideas that would be great thank
The LS1, LS2, LS6, and all of the truck motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2) are very similar. The LS7 is fairly similar but has a few quirks, and is $$$$, so we'll just ignore it.

The LS# motors are alluminum blocks. Most of the truck motors are iron blocks (there are a few alum block truck motors) which means they're another 60 to 100lbs heavier (depending upon who you ask).

LS1 and LS2 are fairly similar. 5.7L vs 6.0. However, the LS2 is 400hp, and the highest "rated" LS1 was 350 (in a vette) or 325 (in an f-body).

Accessory drives are an area that is exciting. There are several drive packages found, depending upon the application. F-bodys have one layout, trucks another, Vettes another, CTS-V's another, etc. Parts don't interchange between packages (sadly) because the parts locate at different distances from the block (kinda like long and short water pumps on a SBC).

Nothing interchanges with SBC's (even engine mounts) so any parts that you could get for the swap will have to be LSx specific.

And I'd be real concerned about a transaxle. I don't know if there's one that'll take 400hp / 400 ft-lbs....Granted, that's assuming you've got enough traction to hurt the transaxle, which seems unlikely.

I'd say the suggestion of the 3.8 supercharged V6 looks like something worth looking into.....Certainly has alot higher potential bang for your buck. Especially if you can be making 300+ hp for $2500 or so. You'll spend that on just an LS1 / accessories / harness, be making about the same amount of power, and still have to figure out how to put it in the car (oilpan, exhaust, engine mounts, cooling, transaxle, PCM programming, etc).

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
The LS# motors are alluminum blocks. Most of the truck motors are iron blocks (there are a few alum block truck motors) which means they're another 60 to 100lbs heavier (depending upon who you ask).
I keep seeing this and wondering how much the difference really is. Anyone know what a bare aluminum block weighs?????? I have an iron block and a scale, I`ll check today to see if the scale is big enough.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

there are alot of people puttin northstar motors out of caddys in fieros basically stock motor.trans combos and running low 12's n 11's gettin real good gas milage and extremly reliable too
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is a Iron block.... don't think it will be to far from the standard Truck Iron block weight.

A artical in GM High-Tech Performance (mag/web site) stated that the block weight in at 225, and that the alum block weight about 1/2 of that... It can be machine with CNC machining to cut some weight out 20-40 lbs (per the artical)
Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
The LS1, LS2, LS6, and all of the truck motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2) are very similar. The LS7 is fairly similar but has a few quirks, and is $$$$, so we'll just ignore it.

LS1 and LS2 are fairly similar. 5.7L vs 6.0. However, the LS2 is 400hp, and the highest "rated" LS1 was 350 (in a vette) or 325 (in an f-body).

Accessory drives are an area that is exciting. There are several drive packages found, depending upon the application. F-bodys have one layout, trucks another, Vettes another, CTS-V's another, etc. Parts don't interchange between packages (sadly) because the parts locate at different distances from the block (kinda like long and short water pumps on a SBC).

Nothing interchanges with SBC's (even engine mounts) so any parts that you could get for the swap will have to be LSx specific.

And I'd be real concerned about a transaxle. I don't know if there's one that'll take 400hp / 400 ft-lbs....Granted, that's assuming you've got enough traction to hurt the transaxle, which seems unlikely.

I'd say the suggestion of the 3.8 supercharged V6 looks like something worth looking into.....Certainly has alot higher potential bang for your buck. Especially if you can be making 300+ hp for $2500 or so. You'll spend that on just an LS1 / accessories / harness, be making about the same amount of power, and still have to figure out how to put it in the car (oilpan, exhaust, engine mounts, cooling, transaxle, PCM programming, etc).

'JustDreamin'

yes i know all this but i Found an ls 2 for 5,500 creat but its does not come with pully , belt, altanator, starter, water pump and ac pump where can i find all this and the bad thing is i cant get a 5speed that can handle all this power im having 580 hp to 610 hp to the wheels and the only trany i can have is a 4speed auto or 6 speed auto should i stick with this or just the 3800 sc im wanting to run low 10 sec or high 9 i wish lol but also an every day driver any idea or and does any one know where i can get the missing objects as well .....! also thanks for replying to every one who replyed

Forever Fiero
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=for_ever_fiero im wanting to run low 10 sec or high 9 i wish lol but also an every day driver any idea or and does any one know where i can get the missing objects as well [/QUOTE]

Those 2 goals (9's / 10's) and daily driver aren't mutally exclusive, but they will require ALOT of thought and planning.

9's and 10's will have a bunch of safety requirements, like a multi-point cage. Are you willing to live with that in a daily driver?

Here's an old saying that is still quite accurate"

Fast
Good
Cheap.

Pick 2

If its Fast and Good, it ain't going to be cheap
If its Good and Cheap, it won't be Fast.
If its Cheap and Fast, it won't be Good.

You're going to back up a few steps. Figure out what your goals are and what will be required to get there. And what you really want. A 700hp motor is of no good if the strongest trans you can get / afford is only capable of 300 hp. Think about what you want, and then you'll need to figure out how to get there....

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-30-2007, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

what about a new ls3 out of a new gxp. The front drive LSx, i wonder if that would fit.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

The 07 monte carlo SS is front drive and has a 5.3 aluminum block in it.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 PM

thanks for the help guys its alot to thank about i was going to put a full roll cage thought out the hole car but i like that

fast
good
cheap

but i would rather spend the money and be safe and fast

Quick Reply: Fiero with ls1 or ls2