Sponsored by:

LS1 ONE-WIRE Alternator ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 ONE-WIRE Alternator ???

LS1 ONE-WIRE Alternator ???

Where do I get one that will last longer than 5 minutes ? I have wasted 2 weeks , countless hours of driving to and from the Alt shop and the shop that the car is at ( well over $25 in wasted gas ) trying a local vendor that sold me a " Brand New " Alternator that each lasted a mere 5 minutes each !? I have now blown over $150 over this ordeal and the place is unwilling to reimburse me for their lack of quality parts. ( Plus the cost of a replacement Battery since the car has to keep being driven back to the shop under Battery power alone, since the Alternators keeps crapping out )

Anyone know of any other places to get a LS1 ONE-WIRE Alternator ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** man go get one with a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kamin
**** man go get one with a lifetime warranty.
I would love to ! What is the Price, Part number, and Contact info for the Company so I may order one ? I need it asap.

Thanks !
Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not run a factory alt? its only 2-3 wires including the battery cable. I know the 1 wire is probably a cleaner install, but at this point, if they keep dying it might be easier to just run another wire or two.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G-Body
Why not run a factory alt? its only 2-3 wires including the battery cable. I know the 1 wire is probably a cleaner install, but at this point, if they keep dying it might be easier to just run another wire or two.
unfortunately its on the dreaded 1998 Harness, and I just really need to eliminate any extra wires since 1998 seems to be a one-year-only stack of wiring problems. The Less Wires and computer controlled BS that is on the car, the better off I will be.

Anyone have any contact numbers for a replacement ? I am needing to order one ASAP ?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your using a 98 harness, do you have the exciter wire correctly wired up ??.. that being with either a light blub or a resistor wired up to term B on the alternator.

Failure to do so will result in failure of the alternator!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

That's how I have my 98 alt and harness setup. Resistor on the exciter wire running to the alt from harness. No issues and charges fine, but it's only got maybe 100 miles on it so far as it's not too much fun driving an untuned t-rex

Originally Posted by bczee
If your using a 98 harness, do you have the exciter wire correctly wired up ??.. that being with either a light blub or a resistor wired up to term B on the alternator.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee

Originally Posted by angelR
That's how I have my 98 alt and harness setup. Resistor on the exciter wire running to the alt from harness. No issues and charges fine, but it's only got maybe 100 miles on it so far as it's not too much fun driving an untuned t-rex

I dont have Any resistors or Bulbs since I am Not using the original Voltage Regulator, so I am not even using plug on the back of the Alternator since I have a One-Wire Alternator and Voltage Regulator.

I want to do everything in my power to Never Ever use the ECM controlled plug on the back ( Where the Resistor would be used if you were to use the ECM plug off the Alt).

There are tons of One-Wire LS1 setups out there, how are they getting away with it and Not using the ECM Plug that requires that stupid resistor ?

One-Wire Alt = Good
ECM Plug with Resistor = Bad ( more wiring computerized BS to brake or go wrong. )
Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

I have a friend that rebuilds alts for a living. I did a carb swap and had him convert my fact alt to a 1 wire setup and never had any problems. What exactly did he do....im not sure but it worked fine.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slow 346
I have a friend that rebuilds alts for a living. I did a carb swap and had him convert my fact alt to a 1 wire setup and never had any problems. What exactly did he do....im not sure but it worked fine.

His Name and Contact info ASAP Please !!!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

That one wire is good, computer controlled ecm plug is bad seems to not be the case for you so far! I'd figure you're mistake out before attaching any more alternators to wires.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
That one wire is good, computer controlled ecm plug is bad seems to not be the case for you so far! I'd figure you're mistake out before attaching any more alternators to wires.
From what the Starter and Alternator shop told me is that they think they got a " bad batch " of Regulators.

I am trying to get a Refund from them but its not working out for some reason.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Switched power to exciter wire with resistor inline.... if it makes you feel better you can run the switched source from something other than the pcm. In the end if you take the 5 minutes required to do that you might have a working setup. Your call, have fun.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC Henry
One-Wire Alt = Good
ECM Plug with Resistor = Bad ( more wiring computerized BS to brake or go wrong. )
Since my computerized BS seems to be working better than the One-wire set up your trying, I think I'll stick with it.

All the ECM is doing is supplying the alternator with a 5vdc signal to tell it to turn on. The stock LS1 alternator is a one wire alternator. All the wire to the PCM does is act as an ON/ OFF switch. Just use a stock alternator with resistor inline to a ignition power source.

Re'
Old 09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Since my computerized BS seems to be working better than the One-wire set up your trying, I think I'll stick with it.

All the ECM is doing is supplying the alternator with a 5vdc signal to tell it to turn on. The stock LS1 alternator is a one wire alternator. All the wire to the PCM does is act as an ON/ OFF switch. Just use a stock alternator with resistor inline to a ignition power source.

Re'
For now thats how its ran until we can figure out a way around it. I just wish there was a way to run this LS1 without of the electronic PCM controlled functions.

Computers belong on desks.....not in cars.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Uh oh. I see trouble on the horizon.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Here is your solution. Read this article.

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx7-tec...r-upgrade.html

Let us know how it turns out.
Jesse
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I Went Through All That Bs With Regulators Being Bad Many Many Times (almost A Year's Worth)

Eventually I Went To Autozone And Got Me A Duralast And It Has Held Up Fine To My Needs More So Than My Very Expensive, Verry Unreliable Custom Built Alternator
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

i used to modify the Ls1 harness for the V8 rx7 guys. i've done 98s and 99+

i know that on the 99+ the alternator wire go directly to the compuer, while the 98 gets power thru the BCM.

On all the harnesses i modified i'd add in a 470 ohm resistor. "This resistor will reduce the voltage to the alternator charge
enable circuit and prevent the circuit from burning up. the resister can be
anywhere in the wire."

Hope this Helps

Steve
Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC Henry
For now thats how its ran until we can figure out a way around it. I just wish there was a way to run this LS1 without of the electronic PCM controlled functions.

Computers belong on desks.....not in cars.
You can put a carb on it but you will still need a computer to control the ignition system.

By the way........Carbs belong on lawnmowers, not LSx motors.

On the desk or in m car, I love computers.

Re'

Quick Reply: LS1 ONE-WIRE Alternator ???