Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 alternator hook up

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 alternator hook up

I have a 79 Chevy C10 w/a forged 383 ls1 and a procharger D1SC. We have many issues that you have helped out with and we now have one more. Now we have an alternator problem. First the IAC was giving us problems because of low voltage. Then we found out it was because of a bad alternator. I have since replaced the alternator but the new one is still not charging the battery. The way I have it hooked up is I pulled a wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid which is where the battery also connects. I put a 12 volt reference coming off the hot post of the alternator to the top of the alternator in the harness. And it still won't charge the battery. Is this wrong. What does it take to charge the battery and, to supply power to the other sensors like the IAC. I was told a 12 volt reference is to be used.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PCM plug C2, pin 15. Run this wire to pin B on the alternator and of course the large wire from the alt to the battery and it will charge, if it's good. I am assuming that you aren't running a 98 PCM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

no, its a 98 pcm.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Hi Guys:

We're just finishing installing an LS1 into an '86 BMW E30 (325). all done but the last few wires. see our thread at:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=699289

We also have alternator question:

On the BMW, the alternator charge lite on the dash is wired from battery power, thru the lite, down to the alternator. When turning the key, the lite goes on until the alternator spins up and puts out a charge. The diodes in the alternator then don't allow current from the lite to get to ground, so the lite goes out.

Can I do this with the GM alternator? I see that a wire goes from the GM alternator to the PCM (probably allows the PCM to control the alt lite on the F-Body). I don't think that I should run the alt lite wire from the BMW dash down to this wire -- is there a terminal on the GM alternator I can use to operate my alt lite??
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jomomma
no, its a 98 pcm.
I can't help you on that one then. Maybe g-body will see this post and can tell you how to make it work.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i need to know how the red wire goes about finding its way back to the pcm.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Default alt hook up

gm alt's can be connected to stand alone. wire runs from key,thru charge lamp and then to "b " term on alt connector. you must have at least 65 ohms of resistance in circ, or you will burn up regulator inside alt. Questions? give me a call, steve 909 910 3867
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the whole rundown on the alternator hookup questions:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post305114

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
On the BMW, the alternator charge lite on the dash is wired from battery power, thru the lite, down to the alternator. When turning the key, the lite goes on until the alternator spins up and puts out a charge. The diodes in the alternator then don't allow current from the lite to get to ground, so the lite goes out.

Can I do this with the GM alternator? I see that a wire goes from the GM alternator to the PCM (probably allows the PCM to control the alt lite on the F-Body). I don't think that I should run the alt lite wire from the BMW dash down to this wire -- is there a terminal on the GM alternator I can use to operate my alt lite??
Not the way that your light was designed. You could use the light but you would have to rewire it. Instead of having the light hooked to battery power you would need to hook it to Ignition power. The disconnect the wire from the PCM and tie it into the wire on that used to connect to the alt.

That will make the light function but you will probably have a code pop up in the PCM since it is no longer controlling the alt, you will need to delete the code if that happens.

Quick Reply: LS1 alternator hook up